Pre-Health Volunteer Placements Developed at Johns Hopkins

International Medical Aid (IMA) is a not-for-profit organization that facilitates healthcare volunteer placements for undergraduate students, medical students, medical residents, and practitioners in the areas that need it the most: East Africa, South America and the Caribbean. Through our structured programs, we allow participants to gain valuable exposure to a number of specialties in our physician shadowing and medical elective programs.

All of our programs also allow volunteers the opportunity to immerse themselves in the beauty and culture of our exotic destinations through unique adventure programs led by trusted guides. Founded on the principles of integrity, respect, commitment, and imagination, IMA provides a safe and mutually beneficial experience where students can make a meaningful contribution to disadvantaged populations throughout the world.

• Ethical, Not-For-Profit Program Model
  • 24/7 Support from Expert Physician Mentors
  • Medical & Graduate School Admissions Support
  • Global Health Education Programs
  • Travel & Accident Insurance

Scott

Opportunity of a Lifetime, Incredible Support and Staff

My month in Mombasa, getting to work alongside so many other brilliant and encouraging inters, was truly an experience of a lifetime and was only made possible through the incredible love and support of the staff. The way they cared so deeply about every intern who walked through the front door, ensuring safety, proper hospital placements that matched each interns desires and needs, and being of major help in situations big and small, truly reflects their outstanding desire to make this a unique and memorable trip for all. From the food to the hospital, and the medical clinics to the beach and everything in between, allowed for one of the greatest months of my life. Leaving more full of growth in both my knowledge of medicine and culture, I wouldn't trade my time here for anything.

The most valuable aspect of this program was having the opportunity to rotate through multiple wards in the hospital. Before arriving, I never thought I'd even have an interest in orthopedics or in A&E. Yet after my week in each of those departments, I gained a new appreciation, love, and respect for both specialties, giving me the desire to keep all my options opened as I move on to the next stages in my desire to become a physician.

My safari experience was out of this world. I never thought I’d be able to say that I had completed an African safari. Truly a once in a lifetime experience that I will cherish forever. Masai Mara was beyond beautiful and our driver was very engaging, allowing for the best possible time.

About International Medical Aid

International Medical Aid (IMA) is a not-for-profit organization that provides healthcare volunteer programs for undergraduates, medical students, medical residents, and practitioners in the areas that need it the most – East Africa, South America,...