The Alliance for Smiles (AfS) International Medical Fellowship program is designed for pre-med students who are ready to enter the medical field. Our program offers a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to learn about cleft surgeries by supporting and watching our highly trained doctors and nurses on an AfS mission. Interns are expected to shadow and support the doctors, nurses and non-medical volunteers one-on-one for approximately 7 hours/day and 6 days/week. Unlike many international medical programs, AfS is a non-profit organization focused on giving to the communities in which we operate. Every fellow who joins to our program will be providing sponsorship for one child’s transformational cleft surgery.
Please apply regardless of your experience level in the medical field!
- You will be shadowing our superb team while learning what it takes to “do the job” by rotating through each position from plastic surgery to anesthesia, from record-keeping to holding beautiful babies.
- You will have access to all the doctors and nurses from breakfast through dinner. You will stay at the same hotel; dine together, and shadow – in and out of the OR – throughout the day.
- You will receive noteworthy volunteer hours! We offer 80 hours of verified volunteer time and a certificate of completion.
- We work with a carefully vetted travel agency and local contacts to book our accommodations ensuring that they are in the safest areas, typically with easy access to major roads, shopping areas, U.S.
- You will have two days of travel and group excursion to discover the city and rural life in addition to 10 days of program. We have several customized short trips, which are sold as all-inclusive packages and can be added to your fellowship charges.