Sophie Marquet

Sophie is from France but currently living in England and works as a secondary teacher there. She enjoys cycling, camping, being in nature and surrounded by nice people.

Why did you decide to volunteer abroad with Rainbow Voluntours in India?

Sophie Marquet

Sophie: I actually met the organiser of Rainbow Voluntours in Kochi itself once in India. I was looking for teaching volunteer opportunity and I met Ridhi who actually presented me the project and it was perfectly matching what I was looking for.

Describe your day to day activities as a volunteer.

Sophie: Ridhi used to come and drop me to school everyday, and I used to teach English or general subject to kids from UKG to class 4, and I also ran some art class. It was just before Diwali so we did some nice rangoli as well.

What made this volunteer abroad experience unique and special?

Lunch time during school.

Sophie: It was unique as it was the first time I was teaching in an Indian school and it was special as I was the first volunteer in the school and the staff and kids were very very nice and sweet. I miss them all and wish to go back and visit them again.

Has your worldview changed as a result of your trip?

Sophie: This is not my first time in India so I knew somewhat what to expect. But for sure the kindness of Keralians made me melt even further and love Indians even more.

Tell me about one person you met.

Sophie: How can I tell you about one person I met when I actually met so many, it is too hard to choose from. But one of my colleagues named Usha was so sweet and considered me a very good friend. She invited me to her home, gave me some papadum (homemade of course), and even now we are still in touch through phone calls

Sophie teaching art.