Staff Spotlight: Limor Torbatti

Photos

Having graduated from the Israeli Archaeology and Ancient Eastern Cultures department, I have been involved with archaeology in Israel ever since, participating in the excavations in Tel Azekah, Masada, Megiddo and Tel Bet Yerah.

As the former Area assistant supervisor and, later, administrator of Tel Azekah excavations, I am familiar with both the scientific and administrative components of an excavation. As the administrator of the International MA Program, I am happy to put my experience into practice.

What is your favorite travel memory?

My favorite travel memory would have to be the Masada Expedition of February 2017, during the semester break. After a long and demanding semester, it was great to see the students finally having a break to connect and socialize. I have made a lot of good memories there and I'm hoping to come back there in the future.

How have you changed/grown since working for your current company?

Archaeology has proved to be an enduring passion of mine, and as I have been with the Archaeology department of Tel Aviv University since 2009, I can honestly say working here enabled me to grow scientifically and professionally. We are a small, close-knit group, which makes for a very supportive environment. Our academic staff is a remarkable group of scholars, whose work I follow with interest

What is the best story you've heard from a return student?

Every story involving a student who continued their education, and successfully completed their Thesis, and, later, PhD is inspiring to me. Most of the student in our program, come from backgrounds unrelated to archaeology, but many choose to stick with it, to study it further, and pursue a career in it!

If you could go on any program that your company offers, which one would you choose and why?

Of all the many programs offered by Tel Aviv University, I would definitely join the international MA program in Archaeology and History of the Land of the Bible. I have always been interested in archaeology and history, and of all the international programs this is the one that focuses on what I am passionate about.

What makes your company unique? When were you especially proud of your team?

First, I believe, is our location! You get to study Archaeology of the Bible in the actual Land of the Bible, to explore history where it happened, which is a unique experience in and of itself. I also believe our academic staff, which includes world-renown names, such as Prof. Oded Lipschits, Prof. Israel Finkelstein and Prof. Yuval Gadot is an important part of what makes our program great.

I am very proud to be working and learning from them. Also, when I hear from students that the teachers are having with them conversations regarding their welfare and their academic achievements. Those are, for me, very proud moments.

What do you believe to be the biggest factor in being a successful company?

Academically, our program has brought together representatives from several disciplines, who brought a new perspective to the field and incepted new methodologies. The royal garden in Ramat Rahel, for example, was reconstructed thanks to an innovative method of our very own Dr. Dafna Langutt. We always strive to improve and better ourselves, moving onwards and upwards!