Staff Spotlight: Robert Perris

Title:
Founder & CEO

Photos

What is your favorite travel memory?

I was fortunate to be able to spend a lot of time in Nepal, accompanying student groups. It was a wonderful experience that I will never forget. The people in Nepal were incredibly welcoming and friendly and it is a country rich in culture and natural beauty. The memory of seeing a tiger in Chitwan National Park whilst atop an elephant will always be with me.

How have you changed/grown since working for your current company?

Most noticeably, my hair has turned completely grey! There is no denying the stress that comes with running your own business, but it’s difficult to imagine working regular 9-5 hours now. Viamonde is an international company employing international staff and meeting and working with so many great people from all over the world has been an enriching experience.

What is the best story you've heard from a return student?

On the wall of my office, I have a staff group photo signed and presented to me by all the staff from our inaugural winter season in 2002. If I ever wonder whether all the hard work is worth it, I get inspiration here.

One staff member summed up the sentiment of the whole team: “You are right on for starting the best company I’ve ever worked for. Thanks for all the great times and for convincing me not to get a desk job just yet!”

If you could go on any program that your company offers, which one would you choose and why?

I’ve worked in every position we offer at Viamonde from ski counsellor to chef and I think it is important to have done so. Although all the positions we offer bring their own unique rewards, I have very fond memories of working in the ski counsellor role.

I know that there are people in the world who learnt to ski in one of my ski classes and I hope that many of them have continued to ski and developed their skills. Imparting knowledge and sharing a passion for sport is incredibly rewarding, especially to young people.

What makes your company unique? When were you especially proud of your team?

I know that for many of our staff, working for Viamonde feels like being part of a big, extended family. I am proud of this and know that this is reflected in the quality of the program we provide the schools we work with. Our staff is what makes us the company we are.

The days can be long and there are often challenges when working with young people, but I know that we always have a team who look out for each other and are motivated to provide the safest and most enjoyable experience possible for the young people in our care.

What do you believe to be the biggest factor in being a successful company?

For a company to be successful and to grow and develop, it needs to have a passionate and dedicated team of staff who feel appreciated and rewarded. A company, certainly a service-led company such as Viamonde, should have core values and these should always be understood and shared by the staff.