Staff Member Spotlight: Elsi Lahti

Title
International Coordinator

Photos

Elsi works as an International Coordinator at Asia Exchange. She helps students with any questions they may have and maintains parternships with home universities in the Netherlands, USA and Belgium.

Elsi has travelled and lived all over the world, and now hopes to inspire as many people as possible to have the experience of a lifetime by studying abroad.

What is your favorite travel memory?

There are some many that it's impossible to choose! When I lived in Australia, I had many amazing experiences and just loved my time there. I learned so much about myself and it set me on the path I'm on now. More recently, I was overjoyed by the warmth and friendliness of the locals in Bali and by the beauty of the island.

How have you changed/grown since working for your current company?

I've been able to visit new countries and meet and work with people from all corners of the world. I've also been amazed by the openness of young adults to step out of their comfort zone and experience the wonders of Asia. I've been able to do what I love and be inspired both by our students and co-workers on a daily basis.

What is the best story you've heard from a return student?

That it really was a life changing experience for them. Honestly, I have never met anyone who regretted their time abroad, so the stories are always inspiring. Whether they learned more about themselves, got new friends for life, realized what they want to do in life, got a another place to call home, met the love of their life (and many times it’s a combination of these!), it's always heartwarming!

If you could go on any program that your company offers, which one would you choose and why?

I would study a semester at Shih Chien University in Taipei, Taiwan for sure. Taiwan is a country that I don’t know much about yet, so I'd like to experience something new. Also, I’ve heard only good things about Taipei and it sounds almost too good to be true! I’ve heard people there are extremely kind and helpful and that it’s a very safe city and diverse in what it has to offer. And, maybe after that, I would study another semester at IPU New Zealand to experience yet a whole other culture.

What makes your company unique? When were you especially proud of your team?

I believe it's the dedication of each and everyone one of our team members to give everyone an opportunity to study abroad and help them achieve it. Every employee in our company has studied abroad, so we know what it's about and want to make it possible for others too. We have a very personal approach and go the extra mile for our students. I'm proud of my team everyday for taking such good care of our students!

What do you believe to be the biggest factor in being a successful company?

Definitely the people behind the company as their motivation and dedication makes everything possible. Without our amazing team and their expertise in studying in Asia, we would not be where we are today and able to provide these amazing opportunities to our students. We love what we do and what could be more motivating than that.