¿Hablas español? If so, put your language skills to good use on a Raleigh Expedition!
As a Spanish Interpreter Project Manager, your role will be to facilitate a group of young people aged 17-24 in rural communities and environments. You’ll be helping groups with translations between the community and non-Spanish speaking volunteers when necessary. You will be supporting a team to deliver Raleigh’s project aims as well as monitoring and coaching the young people to help with their personal development.
Our programmes focus on providing access to safe water and sanitation, protecting vulnerable environments and building resilient communities, all whilst developing the skills of young people to create long-lasting positive change. In order to safely and effectively run our expeditions we need volunteer managers like you to join our Expeditions and bring your skills overseas.
We are principally recruiting this role for our Expeditions to Costa Rica in 2021 running from 1 February to 28 April, and 14 June to 8 September.
(If you are interested but not available for these dates, please get in touch with us and we can discuss other potential opportunities with you, including in late 2020)
As a Spanish Interpreter you will;
- Use your language skills to manage a group of around 12 international young people in a cross-cultural environment, alongside at least one other Project Manager
- Be the key contact to our permanent teams in-country with regard to safety and project delivery
- Deliver one-to-one support and coaching for the volunteers to ensure they get the most from the experience
- Lead our development work across our community, environment or adventure project sites
More detail including the full role description can be found on our website.
“I had to ensure that everyone was on the same page with the same goals and objectives, and I worked between the teams to clarify and report any difficulties. I also felt that I was able to play an important part in developing relationships with the community and forming bonds.”
Karina, Spanish Interpreter in 2018
- B2 / C1 Spanish language skills (intermediate level or higher)
- Ability to lead a diverse team of international young people from a variety of different backgrounds
- Flexibility and adaptability in a challenging environment
- Positive and compassionate approach to leading
- Develop your own leadership skills and confidence
- Have a unique cultural experience on Expedition whilst using your Spanish skills
- Learn new skills to develop or change your career
- Build your knowledge of international sustainable development
- Experience living in a completely new and exciting environment
Raleigh requires fundraising costs to be paid by our volunteers to cover the cost of our projects worldwide. This amount covers all expenses when you are in-country, including food, accommodation, in-country travel, insurance, shared equipment, training and more.
Fundraising costs for this role on Expeditions beginning in January and September are £2700, and reduced to £2200 if starting in June. All Volunteer Manager roles are subsidised by Raleigh to support our Expeditions, and are reduced further during summer Expeditions. Full details are on our website.