- Food and accommodation
Archipelagos Institute of Marine Conservation is looking for a “Marine Ecology and Microplastic Team Supervisor” to join us as soon as possible (July) at our research bases, located in the NE Aegean islands. The goal of the Archipelagos’ Marine Ecology Research Team is to monitor the regional status of marine habitats in the Aegean Sea, including extensive seagrass meadows and coralligenous assemblages; benthic ecosystems; and invasive species. By gathering data on species populations, their habitats and their respective threats, the research team works to fill these knowledge-gaps, identifying critical habitats that are especially susceptible to human and environmental impacts. The primary role of the Marine Ecology Supervisor will be coordinating research projects, leading surveys, training and guiding interns, and general base management. The position will be open until filled.
ESSENTIAL REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• A Master’s degree in marine biology or related field; OR a Bachelor’s degree in marine biology + 2 or more years of marine ecology research experience
• Managing and training students and volunteers and demonstrated leadership, supervision, and team building skills.
• Knowledge of methods of data collection and principles and techniques of research and analysis, including: in situ identification, photography and video-based census
• Previous experience in research conservation projects and field surveys.
• Able to conduct fieldwork in all weather conditions and be comfortable to spend long time on a research vessel.
• Excellent verbal and written English communication skills and good computer skills.
• Ability to write scientific reports and papers.
• Work during weekends and holidays when required.
• Driving license.
Experience in field research projects on marine ecology, water quality and microplastic and GIS.
Lipsi and Samos Islands, Greece.
Supervisor: salary according to the experience, accommodation and full board.
Assistant: initially we offer accommodation and full board, and this can be later extended to also include financial compensation.
Please submit a current resume (maximum 5 pages), list of three references, and a cover letter expressing your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org