ECELA Spanish School: Language Immersion in Argentina

We divide the classes into two main sections - grammar and conversation, each equally important to learning the language. These blocks are divided in terms of the students level or skill. For example, the student can have a different level for each of the blocks and therefore be taking different classes for them.

• Instruction 8
Emily

Spanish and Counseling

I participated in a 6 week Spanish and Counseling program. This was my first time spending 6 weeks abroad by myself. I had anxiety attacks and broke out into hives, but it was still one of the most valuable and incredible experiences I have ever had in my life. Despite my anxiety, I wandered alone in a new, large city and made friends with people from other states and countries. I also managed to speak only Spanish most of the day, every day, and by the time I left people could actually understand me!

Overall, I felt supported by the school staff, other students and my host family. I felt safe and welcome. My Spanish greatly improved and I gained valuable experience that I have brought back to my job as a social worker in the United States.

I was very tired at the end of each day, so it might help to make the days less busy. We had Spanish classes in the morning and counseling classes or a field trip in the afternoon. Then we did cultural and social activities in the evening.