Spanish Classes, Homestays and Social Justice in El Salvador

Spanish Classes, Homestays and Social Justice in El Salvador

Come to the CIS and learn Spanish while discussing Salvadoran history, culture and social justice. We offer homestays, group morning classes, private classes in the afternoon, field trips with a bilingual guide and online classes. You can also volunteer and teach English in the evening if you can commit to a complete English cycle.

The school focuses on the ability to communicate and encourages students to participate verbally and helps them practice listening and understanding.

We can organize everything for you. We are a Salvadoran Solidarity organization which has programs to provide access to clean water to Salvadorans, Scholarships and youth formation, Small businesses for women, a fair trade craft store, and many other projects.

North America » El Salvador » San Salvador
North America » El Salvador

• Instruction

Dulany
Boston, MA
University of Central Florida

I learned so much!

I loved having classes that focused on learning about what's happening here today. Having current events be the core of language instruction was terrific: I could take my questions about El Salvador to class, and I could take what I learned in class and use it outside of school - watching TV, in the news, visiting other parts of the country and talking with Salvadorans.

I studied Spanish in the mornings and taught English 3 evenings a week. A couple of afternoons a week were set aside for field trips to places in or near San Salvador, led by a faculty member. Several weekends had optional excursions to more distant parts of El SAlvador, so there was a lot of opportunity to get to know El Salvador more.

It was great to be so immersed, but at the same time I could have used a little more free time during the week to do my own wandering. Next time, I'll leave a little space at the end of my stay to do just that.

Maria
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Cape Breton University

Experience of a lifetime

I travelled to El Salvador to study Spanish spring of 2013. It was amazing, the people will always have a place in my heart as they are the kindest I've met. The instruction is top notch and gives you such a good understanding of not only the language but the country itself. At CIS I never felt unsafe, and I made some amazing friends while in the country so I never had a moment of boredom. I would recommend the program to anyone.

there really isn't one thing that stands out to me that I would change. I loved the classes, the cultural program in the afternoons, and the people at CIS.

Katy
Canton, NY
Le Moyne College

An incredible program!

I’ve been back in Upstate New York for seven months, and not a day goes by where I don’t think about El Salvador. My stay was five weeks, and split between an internship with Foundation Cristosal and Spanish language classes at the CIS. Just last week, one of my graduate courses assigned me to bring an “object that represents climate to you” to class that describes a place where the work climate was very positive and the leadership was strong. I brought my backpack I purchased at the CIS because I can think of no other organization I’ve been involved with that so strongly values its mission (solidarity and exchange) and the experience each individual has there. For starters, the CIS staff is unbelievably dedicated. My teacher Wilmer spent a week riding miles on his bike just to get to our class (for which at that point, I was his only student) when the public transit system was shut down in a paro forzado. Everyone was so welcoming, patient, and kind at the CIS. On my final day, they even had a going away party with snacks, certificates and gifts! When I tell people about the CIS, I often say that I learned more Spanish in five weeks there than I did in six years of language classes in the United States. If you want to learn Spanish quickly and correctly, look no further than the CIS!
Additionally, the host family the CIS connected me with was absolutely wonderful. Roberto, Ivonne, and their children made me feel so welcome, fed me the most delicious food, and made sure that if I was feeling under the weather that I was comfortable. I still keep in touch with them, and really appreciated having a family to stay with that made me feel so welcome in their home.
Outside of the classes, highlights of my time with the CIS included the trip to the University of El Salvador when we were learning about the massacre of 1975, and a trip to Cinquera. The trip to UES was really special because it allowed me to see what college life is like in El Salvador compared to my own experience, and learn about how passionate the students at this institution still are about social justice. It was really amazing to be there on the anniversary date of the massacre and participate in the activities (performances, poetry readings, and art displays) the students put on. The trip to Cinquera was a weekend trip that included a hike in the cloud forest, visits to an iguana farm and artisan jeweler’s shop, and a trip to a nearby town to commemorate the 1984 massacre that happened there. On the anniversary of the massacre, our group, along with several dozen townspeople, marched on the main road to the town chanting, singing, and holding candles. To me, Cinquera was the perfect representation of solidarity and taught me so much more about the history of El Salvador, its politics, the Civil War, and the true compassion Salvadorans have for their country, ancestors, and one another.
So needless to say, I’m pretty passionate about El Salvador because of my experience with the CIS. When I encourage friends to go, one of the first responses I always get is nervousness about the security situation in the country. I can say with complete confidence that I never felt in danger in my time there. I simply did as I was told by the Salvadorans who live there – try not to travel alone, don’t travel with valuables, don’t wear flashy jewelry, use taxis at night…etc. - the same safety precautions I use at home. I know that reading the news can definitely make you anxious to go (I know it did for myself and my family before I got there) but missing out on such an enriching experience for something that won’t be an issue if you adhere to the guidelines would be a huge loss. The CIS makes sure that you are safe, have a good experience, and learn a lot about this amazing and beautiful country. I can’t wait for my next opportunity to return to El Salvador and work with the wonderful people at the CIS!

Dulany
Boston, MA
University of Central Florida

a great way to learn Spanish

I studied Spanish in the mornings and taught English 3 evenings a week. A couple of afternoons a week were set aside for field trips to places in or near San Salvador, led by a faculty member. Several weekends had optional excursions to more distant parts of El Salvador, so there was a lot of opportunity to get to know El Salvador more.

The CIS is a multi-faceted grassroots organization with many programs supporting education, organizing, and social justice. We are looking for people committed to solidarity and social justice to participate in our programs.

We have a Spanish School, an English School, and grassroots programs such as: