Dakar: Experiencing Francophone West Africa in Senegal

Rating Value C
Rating Value D
Rating Value E
Review

As an African Studies and French Language student, one of my biggest complaints was the lack of French-language study abroad programs outside of the Western world, until I found APA Senegal. The program's course content gives students an in-depth experience in a rich culture and the opportunity to make connections to locals (many of which I keep in contact with and miss very much). Living with a host family was a very effective way to improve skills in speaking French, and I felt much more comfortable with the language after completing the program. Academics are very rigorous but students will learn a LOT of new information in their classes, not only in French language but about local culture, economics, and analytical skills. I highly recommend this program and definitely do not regret choosing APA or Senegal.

As one of the students who participated in the first year of the program, we were very involved in giving constructive criticism to the APA staff as well as the professors. One of my biggest concerns was that the neighborhood was a 20 minute walk away from the university, which I was assured would not be the case in the future. I also requested that following programs incorporate a bit more Wolof (the main local language).
Would you recommend this program?
Yes, I would