LIFE-CHANGING

Rating Value C
Rating Value D
Rating Value E
Review

This program is what volunteer work should aspire to. I have volunteered throughout South East Asia the last few months and those programs did not provide the ability to truly connect with people. My wife and I were asked to Teach English and a few other subjects to children of refugees from Myanmar while we were in Kuala Lumpur. We taught classes for about 4-5 hours a day. It was a challenge because I had never taught before, and it was work because we were creating some lesson plans from scratch, but we were able to build connections with the children. Paul, the coordinator, was terrific. He was organized and helped integrate us into the school and the area of Kuala Lumpur we were working. In other programs there was a lot of sitting around and more "selfie" taking then real work. This was real work but it felt like I was making a difference in these kids lives and in their futures. I would recommend this program to anyone who is looking for a rewarding experience that is both a challenge and an opportunity to change one's life. It did for me.

As we were some of the first volunteers in this program, I would add a little more structure to the lesson plans to make it easier for new volunteers to seamlessly pickup where former volunteers left the students in terms of lesson plans.
Would you recommend this program?
Yes, I would