Teaching English to Refugee Children Volunteer Program in Malaysia

Giving a helping hand to the refugee kids by teaching English in a fun and informal way through educational games and activities.

Malaysia hosts one of the largest urban refugee populations in the world. The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) reported the presence of 150,200 refugees and asylum seekers in the country, 90 percent of which hail from Myanmar.

Due to the lack of legal recognition means that refugees are unable to obtain residence or work permits; the refugee children are denied formal education because they cannot attend government schools. The core aims and objectives of this project are to help the the refugee children build their confidence and improve their level of English.

• Highly valued and affordable program all year round right in the downtown of Capital City
  • Flexibility of a minimum of 1 - 12 weeks, start date every Monday
  • Endless travel options for weekend; volunteers can explore UNESCO Heritage Sites Penang or Melaka, the beautiful Island such as Redang Island or go further to Borneo for jungle trekking
  • Have fun teaching the kids and improve public speaking skill
  • Making new friendship and learning about different cultures in particular Asian traditions and customs

Impact

Volunteers can cultivate the sincere attitude of caring for the welfare and welfare of society. Youths who have a strong spirit and are concerned about the conditions of the community around them are those who are always sensitive and want to help without expecting any reply.

Being useful to others, the attitude of volunteerism has a great impact on the individual youth itself. It cultivates the easy nature of sacrifice for the better, the space for learning collectively working and sowing the feelings of love and affection among beings, regardless of appearance, religion or race.

Samuel

Wonderful Experience in Malaysia

This is a very special place and the experience I had there was incredibly great! This was the first volunteer experience I had when I first started my trip in Asia and so I will always be thankful to INVOLVE for organizing such a great opportunity in Malaysia.

During my stays for 2 weeks, I taught Refugee Children age between 6-10 years old. I could tell the kids want to learn English and so much fun when we did the interactive teaching method. Some of the kids are gifted and pick up the language quickly which made me feel really happy to see improvement from day 1.

If I would choose a volunteer experience again, I would go back there again for such a great experience. I also learnt more about myself and what I am in this whole journey.

Ian

LIFE-CHANGING

This program is what volunteer work should aspire to. I have volunteered throughout South East Asia the last few months and those programs did not provide the ability to truly connect with people. My wife and I were asked to Teach English and a few other subjects to children of refugees from Myanmar while we were in Kuala Lumpur. We taught classes for about 4-5 hours a day. It was a challenge because I had never taught before, and it was work because we were creating some lesson plans from scratch, but we were able to build connections with the children. Paul, the coordinator, was terrific. He was organized and helped integrate us into the school and the area of Kuala Lumpur we were working. In other programs there was a lot of sitting around and more "selfie" taking then real work. This was real work but it felt like I was making a difference in these kids lives and in their futures. I would recommend this program to anyone who is looking for a rewarding experience that is both a challenge and an opportunity to change one's life. It did for me.

As we were some of the first volunteers in this program, I would add a little more structure to the lesson plans to make it easier for new volunteers to seamlessly pickup where former volunteers left the students in terms of lesson plans.

About Involve Travel

INVOLVE engages local communities in organizing meaningful volunteering and cultural holiday programs in Asia. Trusted by thousands of volunteers and people we work with, giving back to the society by offering the World's LOWEST programs' fee starts...