First Teaching Experience in China

Rating Value C
Rating Value D
Rating Value E
Review

2 years ago I decided to start looking for a teaching job in Shanghai. I came upon Wonderful English through a friend. There are so many language schools in China and it was hard to know which companies were trustworthy, so I decided to go with the one that was reccomended to me.

I have to admit that I had doubts about accepting the position, but the managing staff set up several Skype calls and let me talk to the other foreign teachers. From that point forward, everybody was understanding, helpful and supportive--both about settling in in a completely new culture and my professional responsibilities.

Over the past year and a half, I've taught middle school, high school and adults of differing levels of language proficiency. I like that I'm free to choose my own materials to supplement the standard curriculum. I also have the freedom to develop my own teaching style. As for the work schedule, the company has been quite accomodating and also tries to support me in any personal issues. This can be a big help when you don't speak the local language.

I would recommend this company because I feel secure here. I can rely on management and count on their help when I need them.

I feel like the downside of my job here (and not speaking Chinese) is the fact that I feel a little disconnected from the Chinese teachers that I work with. I would love to spend more time with them and bridging the cultural gap.
Would you recommend this program?
Yes, I would