Kep On Trucking

Rating Value C
Rating Value D
Rating Value E
Review

Although I was already teaching overseas, the novelty of Cambodia and the thought of going on my own, instead of as part of a teacher group was kind of nerve wracking. Then getting to Phnom Penh and finding a homestay before school started was so easy. Then when school started and David the school dean made his presentation, it was so relaxing. Then having all these polite students who were interested and interactive was really great. When students gave me a marker, and said, "Please teacher, just write in English, you talk too fast", that was such a relief. On my days off, I'd walk from CWF through the city the French built, all the way to the Mekong, then sit in the shade with the vendors and practice my Khmer street lingo. So many people I met are waking up to the magic of Cambodia. You gotta get there to see it!! If you like young people, and you enjoy teaching, you will really enjoy your experience at CWF.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
On my week off I took the train to Kep and stayed in a homestay cottage, then walked up into the jungle park and wandered the paths until I found a Buddha statue alone in a glen, then sat gazing from the mountain down across the near-shore islands until late in the day, then made my way down to the beach, went for a swim, then had skewers of soft-shell crab that were barbecued right there on the beach at a fishing camp, as the full moon rose over the offshore fishing boats twinkling lights, on a quiet warm breeze night. Pretty much perfect.
Would you recommend this program?
Yes, I would