Eurasian Regional Language and Culture Program

ERLP provides high-quality language instruction, specially designed cultural programs, and expert logistical support to participants studying the languages of Central Asia, the South Caucasus, Russia, Ukraine, and Moldova. All program sites offer highly-individualized instruction, homestays, and structured extracurricular activities. Participants receive 15-18 hours per week of language study and subject coursework instruction conducted by faculty at leading, local universities. To deepen the immersion experience, students also live with host families selected by our in-country staff. American Councils provides comprehensive support services to the participants including pre-departure and in-country orientation, full-time, in-country staff available 24-hours for emergency aid and assistance, as well as health and accident insurance.

Caroline

Went from A Beginner to a Proficient Speaker of Tajiki

I decided to apply for ERLP because I love Central Asian languages. The program was recommended to me by a friend. The program was excellent. I had one on one classes five days a week for two hours. I talked with my conversation partner for two hours a week and attended cultural activities twice a week. Though I was on Zoom, I felt that I was in Tajikistan. All these activities were held in Tajiki, improving my Tajiki quickly. The teachers will challenge you each lesson. Lessons focus on speaking, allowing you to develop communication skills. I am currently participating in the program this fall, building upon my strong foundation in Tajiki.

My advice would be to speak as much as possible during classes.
Victoria

Krazy about Kazakhstan

I am so thankful and lucky to have found my study abroad program through American Councils Eurasian Regional Language Program (ERLP) in Almaty, Kazakhstan. Having developed an interest (edit: passion) for Russian and Central Asia and all things former-Soviet, I knew I had to take my studies of the region's languages and culture one step further and actually go study abroad in Central Asia. Since I had the most exposure to the Kazakh culture and language (I took a quarter of Kazakh at Stanford) I decided to apply to the ERLP after hearing about it from a friend who had embarked on the same program. It was a magical experience from the beginning: the pre-departure orientation in Washington, DC, was helpful and inspiring. Once I was in Almaty, however, I realized how much support American Councils gave me during the 8 weeks there. I met my host family the night I arrived in Almaty, and they were wonderful! My apartment was a short walk away from the Metro, which was a straight ride to the university, KIMEP, where I took my Kazakh language classes. Every week, I met with my peer tutor, an Almaty resident, also a student around my age, who spoke with me in Kazakh and Russian, took me to interesting places in the city, and answered any questions I had about the city, living in Kazakhstan, and about the culture there. During the program, we had a few excusions, such as one to Charyn Canyon (the Grand Canyon of Kazakhstan), to the Big Almaty Lake, a weekend excursion to Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan (read: AMAZING EXPERIENCE!), and another weekend trip to Astana, the capital city of Kazakhstan, which we took by train (it's a 12-hour train ride each way through the steppes of Kazakhstan, also an amazing experience that I highly recommend). During the week, I met with my Kazakh language professor each day for several hours of classes, and we even had lunch together everyday, which I recommend, as your language teacher (in whichever country you study abroad in) is a fantastic partner in helping you to know the country, culture, and language better. My professor was very kind and always wanted to know how I was doing, what I thought of the city, living there, and even was like a second mom, making sure I was drinking hot tea, eating enough, and sleeping enough! Overall, the experience of studying abroad through American Councils ERLP was fantastic and I would recommend it in a heartbeat to anyone interested in studying abroad in Central Asia and expanding their knowledge and experience of the language, culture, and history of this breathtaking region of the world!

I honestly cannot think of anything I would change. Maybe, have more exposure of ERLP so that participants without friends who've already done the program can easily know about it and have the chance to participate in it. It's really worth it.