Quarter Abroad: Writing and Internships in Sydney

UC Davis students abroad
UC Davis students abroad
Sitting by the Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge
Petting a wild wallaby in Tasmania
Coogee Beach, Sydney

From a base on Sydney’s North Shore, students will take three upper division courses on travel writing, film, and Australian culture from the nationally ranked UC Davis University Writing Program (UWP). Additionally, students will participate in a professional internship for 18 hours a week. Excursions in and around Sydney are an integral part of the program.

Davis students that wish to pursue a writing minor will be able to complete 12 out of 20 units toward the requirements of a UC Davis Writing Minor.

Housing in Sydney: Students will select whether they want to stay with a family homestay or with other students in an apartment. Both options have been highly praised by past students.

Melissa

Valuable and Fun

An amazing way to get a professional writing minor, an internship, and have an fun-filled abroad experience. I did not want to leave! I had not experienced city life before that and there was no better place than Sydney to do so. There were many activities to do on your "off" time like go to museums, gardens, markets, street fairs, clubs, etc. Definitely recommend

I would have wanted to know information about my internship and living situation more in advanced- they only gave us about 2 weeks notice before we left what type of internship we received.
Mimi

Living like an Aussie

Sydney, Australia was truly amazing. I was always at the beach or visiting a different neighborhood of the city. There is so much going on! This study abroad program was for specifically UC Davis students, but the internship aspect was run through CAPA international. I did 180 hours at my internship which gave me hand on experience in a field related to my study and career interests. My internship was in the heart of the central business district so I had a lot of fun exploring after work and getting happy hour with aussie coworkers. It was such a great way of learning another culture. I lived with a host family and it was one of my highlights of the experience.
If you are going on this program I would leave time before or after to make sure you are able to travel around. Sydney is a quick flight away to everywhere in Australia and some people went on weekend trips to the great barrier reef. I went to Tasmania after the program and roadtripped for 10 days. Go to Sydney!

Location:
Melbourne Airport
( MEL )
Brisbane Airport
( BNE )

Australia is one of the largest countries by land area, and has a wide variety of climates and regions including desert, beaches, and the outback. Where else can you visit 10,685 beaches, more than 500 national parks, and 8,222 islands in one fell swoop? Unsurprisingly, Australia is regarded as one of the most livable countries.

About University of California Davis

University of California Davis believes that study abroad is a key component of education. Through academics, internships, and hands on experiences, UC Davis provides students amazing international experiences. Students get a chance to do their...