- All course work is conducted entirely in Portuguese
- Students adhere to the Middlebury College Language Pledge
- Direct enrollment at Pontifícia Universidade Católica de Minas Gerais
- Courses in most liberal arts disciplines
- Housing with Brazilian families
The Middlebury program in Belo Horizonte offers cultural and linguistic immersion through a rigorous curriculum and adherence to the Middlebury Language Pledge. By pledging to speak only the target language while abroad, students will have the best chance of acquiring fluency and actively engaging in the local environment. Participants take their courses directly in a local university, at Pontifícia Universidade Católica de Minas Gerais, and all students are encouraged to get involved in the community through internships or interactions within the clubs and activities available.
Students looking for more advanced language preparation prior to the start of the spring semester in Latin America are encouraged to participate in the four-week Portuguese program in Florianópolis. This program is the equivalent of a fourth-semester Portuguese course, and focuses on the study of the cultural and social characteristics of the local Carnaval.