The Middlebury program in Belo Horizonte offers cultural and linguistic immersion through a rigorous curriculum and adherence to the Middlebury Language Pledge. By pledging to speak only the target language while abroad, students will have the best chance of acquiring fluency and actively engaging in the local environment. Participants take their courses directly in a local university, at Pontifícia Universidade Católica de Minas Gerais, and all students are encouraged to get involved in the community through internships or interactions within the clubs and activities available.
Belo Horizonte is the capital of the Minas Gerais state. It is located in a mountainous region, close to Ouro Preto and several other heritage sites of architecture and colonial art. The city features a vibrant cultural life, a mix of contemporary and classical buildings by modern Brazilian architectural icons, and has a pronounced sense of community and family that students find inviting.
- All course work is conducted entirely in Portuguese
- Students adhere to the Middlebury College Language Pledge
- Direct enrollment at Pontifícia Universidade Católica de Minas Gerais
- Courses in most liberal arts disciplines
- Housing with Brazilian families