University Study Abroad at the Cloud Forest School

University Study Abroad at the Cloud Forest School

Interested in learning about education, Spanish, and the environment during your semester abroad? Come and join the Cloud Forest School team as a study abroad intern. While interning, you will be placed to live with a CFS student's family, where you'll be immersed in local culture and the Spanish language. After a month of intensive Spanish classes, you will begin to work closely with a CFS teacher, planning lessons, teaching small groups, and even teaching the whole class, if needed. Whether your study abroad program requires student teaching or just working in the classroom, we can work with you to meet your needs. Apply today for a spot at the Cloud Forest School.

North America » Costa Rica » Monteverde
North America » Costa Rica
High School Diploma
Associates
Resume
Letters of Recommendation
Phone / Skype Interview
4-week long intensive Spanish course, homestay with local family (3 meals/day and laundry 1/week), placement as a classroom intern, 5-day cultural trip to Nicaragua, transportation to and from airport, local support, supervision, professional development, and farewell celebration.

Christina
Swarthmore, Pennsylvania
Swarthmore College

Wonderful place for learning how to teach!

I loved working in the first grade classroom at the school this past spring. I learned so much about environmental education, bilingualism, best practices for reading, writing, and math, and how to manage a classroom positively. The staff and faculty at the school are so welcoming. The other interns and I would often find ourselves hanging out with them on a Friday or Saturday night for fun. I really enjoyed living with my host family and they did a great job making me feel like just another sister/daughter in their family. Overall, I could not have had a better experience. I miss my students, the staff at the school, and my host family very, very much.

I agree with the other reviewers that at times in can be very, very lonely. I was lucky to have five other interns with me when I did the program and we hung out a lot together after school. We also tried to go to Quaker meeting as much as possible, which, for only a few hours of week, gave us a break from dealing with the language barrier of not knowing Spanish very well, and thus allowed us to know people better. However, other than Quaker meeting, the Catholic church, and a few other Evangelical churches, the town does have very few options for religious life. Someone who is actively religious, but not Christian or Quaker, might find the options limiting. Over all, it's good to know that you'll be in a small town on top of a mountain and that the life you will be leading is one that is very rural and not like that of a big city.

leyakubowski
Poughkeepsie, NY
Vassar College

Amazing experience, both living and working!

I am so happy to be a part of this program - as a student interested both in teaching and the fields of Education and Sociology at the research level, my time here has given me the freedom and support to push myself to grow in both of these areas. I have been lucky to be paired with an awesome mentor teacher to learn from, and we work together from 8 - 4 during the school day. For me, this partnership has given me just the right amount of pressure to plan my own lessons and unit, and take responsibility in the classroom gradually, learning a ton but not being too overwhelmed. Monteverde is a close-knit community in an absolutely breathtaking setting, and there is definitely an opportunity for social life outside of the program - but you have to go looking for it! Learning and improving your Spanish, especially with the month at a language institute offered for the first month of the program, is a huge boost to getting more involved in the community and making friends. This program is hard work, but worth it - it pushes you to be more independent and outgoing in achieving your goals.

Perhaps more time easing into the classroom/working with the teacher at the beginning? It's nice to be at the language institute for the first month, and spend time getting to know your host family before you really start your internship at the school, but it would be awesome to have more structured get-to-know-you time in the beginning.

Kathryn
NC, United States
Bryn Mawr College

A truly valuable experience

I have had an amazing experience and learned so much. I have been working as an assistant teacher in the 2nd grade, where the teacher has taken so much time to really teach me. Everyone has been excellent about helping me to get what I need out of the experience. I work every day from 8:00-4:00, helping in the classroom, teaching certain lessons like spelling and writing, leading certain parts of the day like morning circle, and planning. It has been hard work and I have been tired a lot, but it has been such a valuable experience. Monteverde is also a wonderful place to live--it is so beautiful, and there are lots of fun outdoor activities to do.

While I am surrounded by a lot of amazing people everyday, there is currently only one other person in the internship program, so it can sometimes be a little bit lonely. My understanding is that there are usually more people, though.

Located in the heart of the Monteverde Cloud Forest in beautiful Costa Rica, The Cloud Forest School serves more than 200 students from Pre-K through 11th grade. We take pride in the fact that 95% of our student population are local students and that we