Seminar: Making the Case for Asylum

Participants should be lawyers or other professionals working in asylum. CLE Credits pending.

Join us in Central America to examine country conditions, engage with the reality on the ground and improve your ability to support Central American clients. Analyze U.S. asylum system from an international human rights law framework, and through this analysis, develop strategies to address the difficulties asylum-seekers face in the long-term.

The first offering of this seminar in 2019 will take place in EL SALVADOR, and the second offering will take place in GUATEMALA and focus more specifically on the experience of child migrants.

2019 Dates: February 3-10, October 10-17

Participation in the seminar is also an opportunity to contribute directly to the work of civil society organizations in El Salvador engaged in victim protection and advocacy. Through workshops and forums, participants will assist in identifying information gaps and contribute to national and regional advocacy campaigns in favor of protecting the rights of forcibly displaced persons. The seminar will also strengthen international ties as members of an ongoing learning community to share, analyze, and contribute new information amongst one another and with Cristosal upon returning home.

• Human Rights
  • CLE Credits
  • Asylum, Refugees, Migration
  • Intercultural Learning

Jackie

Salvadoran Asylum Program

I attended the Salvadoran Asylum Program in 2017 as an immigration paralegal and learn so much from the program's presenters as well as the other participants given most were immigration attorneys. It was a thought-provoking and meaningful experience. I learned about asylum cases and the country's history from different perspectives. I felt very safe with the housing and transportation that were provided. I would love to do another program!

priya

Global School - Asylum Seminar is a wonderful experience!

I attended the Global School's course: Making the Case for Asylum: Understanding Salvadoran country conditions and the international human rights law framework in February 2018 and it was a life-changing experience. We attended seminars, met with human rights activists, visited the local courts and gained an understanding of how the local courts worked, and went on local excursions. I developed a network of friends and fellow human rights workers, and gained an understanding of the challenges in local communities. I would highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to understand more about the refugee crisis in El Salvador.

I would like an option to be able to book a solo room for sleeping, as well as more evening activities.
Audrey

Asylum Law Seminar

I'm an immigration attorney at a non-profit in Washington, and I attended the Asylum Law seminar in 2017. The presenters were top-notch, and the information that I learned about Salvadoran history and culture has helped me in my asylum cases. I also enjoyed taking a step back from the context of U.S. law, and looking at our immigration system (and asylum in particular) from a human rights perspective. I highly recommend this seminar, and am hoping to go back!

Elizabeth

Life-Changing, Rigorous, Exciting

I have attended three Global School programs, and they have all been excellent. As an immigration defense attorney, what I have learned about Salvadoran history, culture, and context has been invaluable to my asylum cases, and I have also benefited personally from these experiences. They have challenged and shaped my worldview, and I've connected with both U.S. and Salvadoran colleagues. I highly recommend this program.

About Cristosal's Global School of Human Rights

The Global School equips human rights leaders with knowledge and tools for action.

Through human rights seminars in El Salvador, we create an intercultural space where religious, student and professional leaders from around the world learn together...