Seminar: The Central American Refugee Crisis

In 2016, more than 244,200 people were forcibly displaced in El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras. Join us in El Salvador to analyze the Central American refugee crisis through the lens of human rights and develop concrete tools to respond.

North and Central American participants will examine the causes of the refugee crisis in Central America, immigration policy throughout the Americas and international frameworks for protecting migrants. What structures contribute to forced migration and displacement in El Salvador, especially for the most vulnerable populations? How can we address this crisis? How do we improve immigration policy to meet international human rights standards?

Participants will apply the fundamental human rights framework for understanding transnational interconnectedness, understand the root causes of forced migration and the rights of migrants and refugees. Using this understanding, they can analyze policies on international migration in Latin America and the world, especially in relation to U.S. immigration policies. This analysis will help participants develop tools to implement the human rights approach to activism and community organizing in their own communities.

• Human Rights
  • Immigration Reform
  • Asylum, Refugees, Migration
  • Intercultural Learning

Jennifer

Immersive Education on Forced Migration

This trip was recommended by my dean and turned out to be one of the best experiences of seminary for me. Our days with Cristosol included classes taught by experts in their fields of human rights and forced migration, field trips to eye-opening, meaningful places, and fellowship that gave us time to have fun and learn more about local culture. I appreciated that we were alongside Salvadoran professionals who were learning about their own civil war for the first time, as it was not taught in school or mentioned outside of family stories. A highlight for me was visiting a village of 700+ displaced families who hosted us to an afternoon of conversation and friendship. Their ability to create a new life out of nothing speaks to the courage, strength, and faith of the people of El Salvador. I returned to Los Angeles, transformed forever with a spark that has turned into ministry among immigrants, and women and children. Would love to go back for part two of the program!

If Joseph would dance more!
Barbara

The Central American Refugee Crises

I have taken two courses with Cristosal. Both courses were enriched by the participation of Salvadorans learning with us. This refugee-focused course was an interesting combination of lecture, site visits, and interviews with people in various roles working with refugees. I came away with an in-depth understanding of the complexities of this issue which has helped me to be an informed advocate for the undocumented in this country. The cohort of participants added greatly to my learning.

gary

Cristosal Global School

I have attended 14 Cristosal Global School seminars over a period of eleven years. The Cristosal staff is professional and effective. I have spent many days in small villages getting to know Salvadoran people who have been marginalized and victimized. My experiences have equipped me to speak with direct knowledge back in the U.S. about why people emigrate and how our own government immigration policies should be shaped.

Martha

Great experience

I got so much from this course. One of the best features is that the course participants are an equal mix of Nirth Americans and Salvadorans. I highly recommend Cristosal’s Global School courses. The course was a mixture of lecture, seminar, group discussion and field trips. The content was in no way simplistic nor biased. I have harkened back to what I learned there as I have worked to be a voice for compassion in our debate about immigration in the US.

Chuck

Cristosal Global School

A really high class program and staff. This program will get to the key points and give you deep understanding of the Central American Refugee Crisis. Wonderful speakers with plenty of interaction with speakers and other participants. Food and housing great. There's some time for fun too. If you are serious about learning from the experts this is the one. Critstosal has been working in El Salvador and elsewhere in the Northern Triangle for more than a decade.

About Cristosal's Global School of Human Rights

The Global School equips human rights leaders with knowledge and tools for action.

Through human rights seminars in El Salvador, we create an intercultural space where religious, student and professional leaders from around the world learn together...