Star Wars: Study Abroad in a Galaxy Far, Far, Away

Star Wars: Study Abroad in a Galaxy Far, Far, Away

Study Abroad in a galaxy far, far away... Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be a Padawan learner under a Master Jedi? Do you have what it takes to ride an X-Wing into the bowels of the Death Star? If your midi-chlorian count is in excess of 10,000 per cell, we encourage you to apply to this program. The Jedi Academy will carefully review your application and will be in touch with you should they decide to move forward.

Other information:

- Those who submit applications using the Force will receive special consideration.
- Do NOT bring your homemade lightsaber to the Academy. It will be confiscated upon arrival.
- If you feel Episode 1 was anything other than an embarrassment to the Star Wars franchise, please do not apply.
- The Jedi Academy supports diversity. Applicants from the outer rim will be given preference.
- Successful applicants will be taller than an Ewok and shorter than a Wookie.
- Those with Sith relatives are disqualified.

Astronomy
Masters
PhD.
Phone / Skype Interview
Experience Requirement

Cecilia Haynes
Cecilia

The Force Was NOT With Me

First and foremost, I would like to respectfully disagree with one of the reviews of this program entitled, "Yoda is a jerk". Of all of the various Jedi Masters at the academy, Yoda was actually the kindest and, surprising, the most well-spoken. Clearly the reviewer bought into the surface persona that Yoda projects and did not delve deeper.

My frustration was with the blind stupidity of the other so-called "masters" who were shocked at the fact that the power-hungry Jedi ended up being evil. Seriously?! Come on guys, we all know greed paves the road to the dark side. Let's not be like that architect who built a massive flaw in the Death Star and then hoped no one would notice.

However, Yoda clued into this. He even specifically told Anakin that the "fear of loss is a path to the dark side." Another point for Yoda.

The main reason that I am so attached to Yoda is that he knew the moment I arrived that I would not last in the academy. Looking up to Han Solo as my idol did not prepare me for the mundane aspects of learning to control the Force.

Midway through this year-long study abroad, Yoda took me aside and recommended that I switch programs. He could tell my heart just was not in it and that toughing the year out would just lead me to the dark side. He even submitted my transfer papers and surprised me with a spot on the Millennium Falcon.

He knew that my heart's desire was to return to the experiences of episode 4 (the TRUE episode 1) and leave a situation that had fast become my Jar Jar Binks.

This program definitely needs to advertise the other placements that they provide within the Star Wars universe. By concentrating on the Jedi Academy, there is a very real possibility that disgruntled students may just have to pull a Darth Vadar.

Andrew Dunkle
Andrew
Berkeley, CA
University of Colorado- Boulder

Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

I spent my formative years dreaming of becoming a Jedi Master. Luke, Obi-Wan, Yoda, they were all my idols, and yes I collected their action figures. I wanted to fight the Dark Side and bring balance back to the galaxy. You can then probably imagine my excitement when I was offered the chance to study abroad on Tatooine with the Jedi Council!!! Amazing!

Let me be the first to tell you that this training course is tough!! In the space of a montage you'll be expected to wield a lightsaber and lift an entire X-Wing out of a sand pit. But I can't argue that this tough training didn't produce results.

The highlight of the semester was definitely taking on a rancor!! Yeap, we chopped that bad boy up. Unfortunately my partner Frankie lost his arm, but the medical staff had a prosthetic installed in no time.

The locals were an interesting group... Not very friendly, but they warmed up after a few Corellian ales. FYI, if you have a droid don't bring it to the bars! We learned that the hard way.

This will go down as one of the best experiences of my life! I met the most amazing people and I'm now pursing a Master's degree in Jedi Studies. Can't recommend this program enough!

JediMitch
New York

Yoda is a jerk

I'm happy I did this program. Being a Padawan Learner was awesome and Luke is the coolest. I loved the Jedi trials and building my lightsaber was awesome. But you'd be surprised how rude Yoda can be off camera. He was so mean to us, and for no good reason. He reminded me of an ornery grandpa taking out his bad day on the neighborhood kids. He'd always make us clean his room, but he'd say it in a way that really confused us. Something like, "Room cleaning you should do. Mine, now, yes." What the heck is that supposed to mean?! Sometimes he'd even trip some of us with his cane. I know he's really powerful and everything, but he didn't beat either Dooku or Sidious, so maybe he's not as amazing as everyone thinks.

Overall, I'd really recommend this program. Try and make sure that you're placed in the Cloud City cohort instead of the Tatooine cohort. It's a really big difference and they have ton-ton meat in Cloud City. Good luck!

PS- Yes, Wookie fur is just as soft as it looks.

More time with Queen Amidala! She's beautiful and she even touched my arm once. I wish it happened more than once.

Determined to find the abroad program of your dreams? Go Overseas has you covered. Check out reviews of programs best suited for the big kid in all of us. Go Overseas and change your world!