ICTE Study Abroad in Madagascar

Stony Brook University, a leader in primatology, ecology and evolution and sustainability studies offers an undergraduate Study Abroad program in Madagascar. The program is led by Dr. Patricia Wright, renowned scholar and McArthur Fellow. Student participants may enroll in up to four courses and earn up to fifteen credits. Courses will be offered by resident and visiting scholars of Ornithology, Entomology, Ichthyology, Limnology, Botany, Anthropology, Zoology and Primatology. Students study and conduct research alongside Malagasy and other international students at the research station with guidance from field course instructors. Independent research will contribute to the understanding of the bio-dynamics of the Ranomafana National Park and the linkage between the park and the indigenous population.

James

An Amazing Adventure on the Eighth Continent!

An absolutely mesmerizing experience, full of incredible biodiversity (especially including lemurs!), diverse and rich cultures, and meeting incredibly talented and passionate individuals at Centre ValBio in Ranomafana National Park! You will get to do independent research on a topic of your choosing within the fields of tropical biology, anthropology, global health and culture. You will also get to see some of the other incredible landscapes Madagascar has to offer, from jagged mountains to crystal waters crashing on the arid western shore. This program certainly changed many of my perspectives on global conservation and development, and I feel it has made me more prepared for my career as a biologist. From hearing the haunting wail of an indri echoing through a rainforest to seeing ring-tailed lemurs in their native habitat, I will remember my time in Madagascar until the end of my days.

A fair warning though- should you decide to go, you will ever be infected with a longing in your heart to return.

I felt that the independent project may have been better coordinated and logistically planned, as I had to trim down the scope of my project while I was doing it.
James

Amazing Adventure on the Eighth Continent!

An absolutely mesmerizing experience, full of incredible biodiversity (especially including lemurs!), diverse and rich cultures, and meeting incredibly talented and passionate individuals at Centre ValBio in Ranomafana National Park! You will get to do independent research on a topic of your choosing within the fields of tropical biology, anthropology, global health and culture. You will also get to see some of the other incredible landscapes Madagascar has to offer!

Alex

Great program!

An incredible experience with talented scientists. Doesn't get much more hands on than this! Nothing better than waking up to the sound of lemurs climbing above in the trees or going on night walks through an incredible rainforest.

About SUNY Stony Brook University Study Abroad

Stony Brook University is a SUNY school (State University of New York). Stony Brook realizes the importance and necessity of an international academic experience to benefit students wishing to remain in a competitive pool of applicants for employment...