Nation Building, Globalization, and Decolonizing the Mind

Nation Building, Globalization, and Decolonizing the Mind

Nation Building, Globalization, and Decolonizing the Mind - is an experiential program, rooted in social justice, and focused on direct community engagement. This program provides a rich context in which to explore the theme of nation-building in the context of two countries, South Africa and Namibia.

Augsburg CGEE gets you out of the classroom and into the community with travel to multiple cities, visits to museums, local groups, and guest speakers. Examples include: Feminist and Human Rights activists, Members of the African National Congress and opposition parties, student and youth groups, and many more!

The program is hosted in Windhoek, Namibia with included excursions to Cape Town, Johannesburg, Etosha, and Walvis Bay. Participants will stay with host families in both South Africa and Namibia, in both rural and urban settings. When not in a host family stay, students will stay in CGEE housing.

Africa » Namibia » Windhoek
Africa » Namibia
Direct Enrollment
African Studies
Social Sciences
Theology
Women's Studies
All meals included (except during fall/spring break)
All program-related excursions included
Not included: initial flight to South Africa/return home from Namibia; personal costs
Scholarships available
Windhoek

Emily
Bielefeld, Germany
Museum Studies

Experiential Education at its best

Studying abroad in Namibia with CGE was a wonderful life decision for me. Everyday I learned something new about the living and ancient history of Namibia as well as about myself! Who knew I would eat goat head!? Who knew I would end up writing my senior German thesis about Namibia!? Who knew I would connect so well with my host families?

Although the classes were, in my opinion, far from academically challenging, they were still enjoyable, largely due to the credit of our teachers. They always had interesting speakers or field trips for us to enjoy.

I did an independent study project, instead of taking a fourth class and that was another great decision for me. I read more books about my topic, than I would have ever thought possible and this paper was the ground work for my German Thesis, that I wrote in my last year at college.

The staff was WONDERFUL! Everybody was simply pleasant and kind and I really felt secure emotionally and physically in the care of the staff members.

I would recommend this program to any student, who is looking to explore parts of southern Africa but not looking for the typical "SIT"-ish adventure. You are together with the CGE group most of the time, you have 3 homestays, you will go camping, you will celebrate American holidays and your birthday, you will have a wonderful time, if you let yourself be open to new experiences in a wonderful country.

Michelle
Southbridge, MA
Clark University

Fantastic opportunity to experience Africa

I studied in Namibia the fall of 2008 and have been dreaming to go back since. CGE provided opportunities to experience Namibia as a local and not a tourist. While there I had the opportunity to have an amazing internship right in my field of study as well as to volunteer at an orphanage. Every weekend was filled with either trips into downtown Windhoek or excursions with the whole group. During fall break, a group of us traveled to Victoria Falls and traveled around the area.

whitmanian
Ames, IA

"Go where you would never ordinarily go, and be still there." -Margaret Fuller

I saw that one other student reviewer highlighted the traveling as the best part of this experience. I would disagree -- the travel is amazing, and you visit a huge variety of landscapes and cultural niches, but the real benefit of this program is the experiential learning immersion into a society that is in some ways very different than, and in many ways tellingly complementary to, that of the average American.
Including three home stays--two urban and one rural--and significant community involvement through internships and volunteering, the program is designed to take you out of your comfort zone and expose you to new paradigms and new relationships that could last a lifetime. You'll be travelling and hearing guest speakers almost every day that you have class, including many people who were directly involved in Namibia's liberation struggle. The readings for classes are intense but grounded, and provide great context for the more experiential learning that permeates the rest of the semester. And the travelling (outside of whatever travelling you do on your own, on weekends and/or the week-long break) is always tailored to the course material; there is no wasted gas, in my opinion.
I would highly, highly recommend this semester to anyone open to a new experience and to a wider social conscience. This is no semester in Europe; it's not a pointless excuse to drink (although you can); it's not a sight-seeing guiltless pleasure cruise. You are always safe (the staff, as others have pointed out, are incredibly understanding and supportive), but always experiencing something new, and you live with purpose everyday. If this sounds at all interesting to you, apply.

Namibia
Minneapolis, MN
Eastern Europe

Experience of a lifetime

I can honestly say that this was the best/most rewarding thing I did in my 4 years of college if not my life. I learned so much about Namibia, the culture, the people, and the lifestyle; but I also learned the most about myself.

While I initially thought I'd be going to southern Africa to "help" via internships, volunteering, and being a positive role model for Americans, it turned out that the people and ideologies of Namibian's helped me gain a true perspective of what is important in life.

I gained true friendships with the other amazing people in the program and always look forward to catching up as much as possible.

This program should be known in all colleges and universities across the States, for everyone who goes comes back more knowledgeable about themselves and about the connection of people across the world.

Ubuntu

BMN
Charlotte, NC
Study Abroad

Trip of a Lifetime

The CGE Namibia program was one of my most memorable college experiences. I enjoyed living in a big house with other students, we were able to create such a sense of community and support each other through struggles of homesickness etc. There is a resident intern that is able to help with getting adjusted and helps to plan super fun community activities like Mexican food night were we made even found a piñata.

From day to day participants wake up have a simple breakfast of yogurt/cereal/toast/coffee and then go to class. There's an option of having an internship so on some days students would go to their internship site. Students would return home on regular days to have lunch and sometimes have a second class/activity. Afterwards students are free to explore downtown or go to the nearby mall. Dinner is served by the kitchen staff and then students hang out by the pool or go hang out at the local bar right down the street.

The best part of this study abroad program has to be all the places that you are able to see Johannesburg, Capetown, Windhoek, Etosha, Swakopmund (beach) and a rural home stay in a small town.

Megan Lee
Megan

Ubuntu

Studying abroad with Center for Global Education's Southern Africa program was one of the best decisions I made in my undergraduate career. Through CGE's thorough and dynamic planning, I was able to explore new corners, given a community of like-minded individuals to share all of my adventures with, and shown a glimpse into the lives of the local people, both their struggles and victories. I was afforded a well rounded and stimulating immersion experience. Overall, I felt very safe despite the unfamiliarity of the city.

Their Roots: The Center for Global Education and Experience (CGEE) is affiliated with Augsburg College, a private liberal arts and sciences college located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It was founded in response to a call by the Lutheran Church for programs that raise awareness of international