Veterinary Field Study

Join us for an experience of a lifetime on this field study program in South Africa. Meet and interact with conservationists and wildlife veterinarians in the field, learn about the crucial balance of people and wildlife in conservation today, and gain hands-on experience by taking part in game capture operations. The course includes wildlife veterinary science, wildlife diseases and medicine, in-field pathology lessons, capture and care of wild animals, wildlife rehabilitation, ecosystems and biodiversity conservation.

• Wildlife veterinary, diseases, game capture, animal rehabilitation

Kelsi

Best experience of my life!

I went on the Vet's in the wild field study, and it was by far the best experience of my life. I'm so happy I got to be apart of this once in a lifetime adventure! Thank you so much for letting me experience this!
I got to learn so much about conservation and the animals native to South Africa. I also was very lucky to be able to meet some lifelong friends along the journey. I would recommend this to anyone who asked!

I would make it more oriented towards learning tasks that veterinarians do, instead of all conservation. I did love all the conservation talk, however, I did expect to do more hands on things. It was also hard to do things with 13 people. So, smaller class sizes would be ideal.
Rachel

My Veterinary Field Study Experience

This was hands down one of the most amazing experiences of my life! It was so amazing to be able to see the beautiful animals of Africa without having a glass wall between us - seeing them in the wild like they should be. One of my favorite parts of this adventure was Kruger National Park, where we got to observe the animals doing what they do everyday - from a leopard lounging under a tree, to an elephant bathing in the watering hole, to a lioness going after a water buffalo! These are things that I will never forget. All of the places we stayed in were very nice and unique, and our guide (Mike) always made sure that we had unique meals to try (they were all delicious)! Every place we stayed was different from the last, and we got to meet so many amazing people who taught us valuable lessons about wildlife conservation. I honestly have a completely different outlook on some topics than I did on my first day! The lectures were always interesting it was cool to be able to apply what we were learning when we did hands on work - such as doing a necropsy on an impala or capturing a giraffe! I loved working directly with the animals, especially at Cornells when I got to feed Haley the Wildabeast her breakfast and dinner. I'll never forget this experience and all of the amazing people I met along the way. If you have the chance to go on this trip, do it!!

There were some things that I thought we were going to to but the we didn't (which was a huge bummer) such as playing with baby lions or riding an elephant. Although I know that the Elephant ride was taken out of the program it still would've been really cool to have a little bit of an interaction with them.

I also felt sort of unprepared for the essay, without knowing the grading criteria or anything like that.

About Eko Tracks

Eko Tracks proudly offers quality study abroad programs, internships and volunteer opportunities for people who are looking for an educational and practical experience.