Starting from
$2000

Teach English with Trellis - Volunteer, Work Experience, and Job Placement Programs

• Learn the basics of teaching English as a foreign language in a safe and structured classroom environment.
  • Educate and uplift yourself and those around you by working closely with the local community.
  • Join the Trellis Team on a 3-day cultural excursion during our 2-week training period.
  • Immerse yourself in the beautiful scenery of central Vietnam.
  • Secure job-placement opportunities in Japan or Vietnam upon the completion of Trellis' program.
Danang
Kanazawa
20 hours/week
  • Apartment

Volunteer in Vietnam then teach English in Japan. Our innovative nonprofit initiative provides intrepid individuals the opportunity to catalyze positive change while traveling the world.

Experience all that Southeast Asia has to offer in an entirely affordable, productive, and sustainable way. Our unique curriculum and small class sizes will provide you with all the skills and experience necessary to begin your adventure overseas as an ESL Teacher.

TEACHING BENEFITS: Having successfully completed our volunteer training program in Vietnam, Trellis will assist you with securing a teaching position of your choice by working closely with our network of trusted partners in Japan or Vietnam.

SCHEDULE: Approximately 3-4 hours per day, with weekends off.

Program starts February 26th, 2018 and ends May 25th, 2018. We will work with the volunteers to allow early or late departure on a case by case basis.

Weeks 1-2 include settling in and exploring Da Nang, training, networking event, and one group cultural excursion.
Weeks 3-11 include teaching students of various ages in actual classroom setting combined with outdoor activities, participating in English clubs, complimentary excursions.
Week 12 is test week in which Trellis teachers will assess students' progress, wrap up any mandatory teaching procedures, and complete program evaluations. Trellis' teachers will also attend a ceremony session to receive their certificate and conclude the program.
Week 13 is departure week.

Throughout the program, Trellis's teachers will be trained and evaluated on their ability to not only teach English effectively but also adapt to living in a new environment and work in a dynamic and diverse team. As job placement support will be provided throughout the program, Trellis's teachers will know their job options and travel plan ahead of the end of the program.

What's Included
  • Logistical support before, during, and after your arrival in Vietnam
  • Airport transfers, orientation, and 1-2 complimentary cultural excursions
  • 2 weeks of training, 150 hours of in-classroom teaching experience, small class sizes of between 6 and 8 students, and weekly recap and feedback sessions.
  • Accommodation and transportation to and from work site
  • Lunches during the first week of training and meals during complimentary excursions.
  • Job placement opportunities upon completion of our volunteer program
What's Not Included
  • Flights to and from Vietnam
  • Visa related fees
  • Travel insurance (mandatory)
  • Criminal background check
  • Vaccinations
  • Additional in-country trips and tours
  • Spending money (food allowance, personal transportation, souvenirs, etc..)

We provide each volunteer with a one-bedroom apartment with private kitchen and bathroom. Amenities such as beddings, towels, kitchen utensils, air-conditioning, power, water, cable TV, and Internet are included. We strive to place the volunteers in a safe and central part of Da Nang, Viet Nam to allow ease of transportation and immersion in the local communities.

Meals

We provide lunches in the first training week and meals during cultural excursions. In the first 2 weeks, the volunteers will be introduced to local restaurants and stores so that they can shop and manage their own meals. Da Nang has good selections of international cuisines and abundant grocery stores so there are something for everyone. The average monthly food bill ranges from $150-$300.

As a non-profit organization, Trellis aims to improve the English and Japanese language capabilities of our students as a means of increasing their social and economic mobility. We also strive to increase the effectiveness of foreign language education by providing better access to trained and experienced foreign language instructors to both for-profit and non-profit educational initiatives regionally and internationally.

100% of your program fees go directly towards maintaining and expanding our non-profit educational initiatives.

Pricing & Availability

Start Dates

Program starts February 26th, 2018 and ends May 25th, 2018.

• Benefits
  • Facilities

Yuki
Japan

You try it!!!

In this internship program, we gained valuable experience not only teaching Japanese but also developing a new project from scratch. In order to teach well and make the students understand concepts better, we always needed to pay close attention to students, their learning environment and other teachers and find problems that needed to be solved. Then, we discussed solutions, decided our next actions and improved the quality of our language program. This is our mission. We came up with different activities in extracurricular activities in the Japanese Club and school trips to provide with opportunities to know more about Japanese and Japanese culture. I tried to make these activities something that students could enjoy a lot and also learn Japanese. I came to think about how I can make the most of this wonderful experience with Trellis in Vietnam for my future. I began to think that I would like to be a police officer and be of great help to Vietnamese students studying in Japan in the future. Having more dreams for the future will be a drive to your life. I hope more people will join this program and expand the possibility of their future.

Response from Trellis

Hello Yuki,
Thank you for the kinds words. We are happy to know that Trellis internship program has provided you with valuable experience and an inspiration for your future career. Come back and see us when you have a chance. Good luck with your future endeavors!

Rika
Tokyo

Great experience in Da Nang, Vietnam

I had a great experience and met wonderful people as a Japanese intern in Danang, Vietnam. The organization is still at its early stage and we were their first interns. Of course, the system was not perfect but Trellis provided us with a comfortable environment where we could reach out the staff if there were any issues and they dealt with them right away. We needed to be proactive as volunteers and Trellis listens to our opinions and respects them. I could nourish my skill to come up with my own ideas and put them into practice during my time there. As one of Trellis' Japanese volunteers, I was fortunate to have an opportunity to work with English volunteers, Vietnamese teachers and students. I also had a chance to meet a lot of Japanese living in Danang. It was an extraordinary experience to understand different traditions and cultures there. It was the best internship in terms of gaining experience.

Response from Trellis

Hello Rika!

Thanks for the kind words. We're glad to know you made it back to Japan safe and sound. Thank you so much for all you contributed this program! Your students truly grew as a direct result of your time spent in the classroom and they all miss you very much! We hope to see you again soon.

All the best,

Daniel
University of Central Arkansas

A fantastic way to experience SE Asia

To begin, let me start by saying that I was a member of Trellis' pilot program, and it will only get better with future programs. That being said, my experience was great. I found Trellis while searching online for possible location to teach English, without even having a destination country in mind. Not knowing if teaching would be something I would like to do for more than a few months, I though I would give it a shot.

The hiring process was very quick, and gave plenty of time upon my acceptance of the offer to prepare to come to Vietnam. I arrived a few days before the program started, and found temporary accommodations waiting for me. The day the program started, I moved into the housing that Trellis would provide for the next few months: a spacious, well-furnished studio apartment with some of the friendliest staff I have met.

A two-week training period kicked off the program, with one of the teachers from Trellis' parent company in Japan travelling to Vietnam to give a crash course in teaching basics. The classes themselves consisted of between 8 and 10 university students between the ages of 19 and 22. They were very entertaining to speak to and become close to, and they loved the system of "learning disguised as games" that Trellis uses.

Vietnam itself is a beautiful country. Da Nang is a seaside city surrounded by mountains on one side and the ocean on the other. Travel inland a few miles, and you will be surrounded by dense jungle. Be sure to travel to Hoi An and check out the silk tailors! Or take a ride up to the Lady Buddha on Son Tra Mountain and explore a very peaceful monastery.

Overall, I enjoyed my time with Trellis in Vietnam. Upon completion, you will have a chance to work in Japan teaching English in Kanazawa, a small city in western Japan that is rich in culture and heritage. Having been in Kanazawa for just over a week now, I can say that I made the right decision volunteering with Trellis.

Response from Trellis

Hey Daniel!

We're so happy that you gained so much from our program. You're welcome back anytime you'd like! We hope your settling into your new role as an English teacher in Japan. If you need anything please let us know!

All the best,

Danny

While the concept is a promising one — Trellis fails to deliver on its promises

Note: This is a truthful depiction of my personal experience of Trellis's Fall 2017 volunteer program. I understand that this program's other two volunteers’ reviews will be drastically different, as they are now currently employed by Trellis’s parent company, Lesson4U. Everything in this review is true to the best of my knowledge.

Trellis… "Travel with Purpose."

While the concept is a promising one — Trellis fails to deliver on its promises.

In August 2017, I had the opportunity to be part of Trellis’s initial foray into the non-profit volunteer space. While it started off rather well, it quickly fell into a state of chaos, disorganization, and ultimately, frustration.

While it is understandable that the program is still in its infancy, there are some major flaws that must be worked out, in order for it to be considered a fair exchange of time.

Trellis "loosely" (non-contractually) promises its volunteers the following:

1) An opportunity to travel with purpose.
2) The safety and well-being of its volunteers.
3) Transportation to and from its volunteer teaching obligations.
4) Adequate living accommodations.
5) Training as an English Language Teacher.
6) A secured job at the end of the program, signed off and agreed upon prior to the last month of volunteering.

Unfortunately — in my personal experience — Trellis was only able to deliver two of the six aforementioned items: the living accommodations and training as an English Language Teacher.

My full contract term was not fulfilled due to administrative and professional business ineptitude that led to unsolved issues related to my legal visa status and program management, more specifically, but not limited to:

• Ineffective leadership and mismanagement
• Dodging of responsibilities and the well-being of volunteers, regardless of their decision to part ways with the program (i.e. getting them home safe and sound)

• Failures in getting important legal documents acknowledged and signed (the acting manager forgot/neglected to have me sign the Terms & Conditions Agreement)

• If something goes wrong, "it's the volunteer's fault, not the company's"

CONCLUSION:

At the current moment, I do not believe this program is worth the requested investment (time/money).

I will be requesting a full refund and compensation for my time, program fees, and expenses – as the acting manager did not present and mutually agree in advance any formal terms and conditions documents.

That said, I am grateful for the learning experience and the opportunity to try something new. Your actual experience will most likely be different, if the issues mentioned above are resolved to present a program that is as fulfilling as promised for all parties involved.

Response from Trellis

Hey Danny,

It’s unfortunate that you didn’t have as good an experience as the other volunteers during your time with Trellis! We’re constantly working hard to improve our program and have taken your feedback into due consideration. For the sake of future prospective volunteers reading this review, we’d like to go through your individual comments in order to identify and expound upon your grievances. So here we go!

“Trellis is engineered to funnel free (volunteer) teachers (recruits) into their school by offering them teaching positions at their Kanazawa office, after they’ve completed the three month program. Unfortunately, this is the their primary goal – NOT impacting developing communities, as listed via their marketing materials.” - It's unfortunate that this was your perception of the primary goals of our program. This is a very one-dimensional perspective of the values that Trellis espouses and we'd like to take this opportunity to elaborate and shed some light on our model and strategies for the benefit of future prospective volunteers.

Trellis is a hybridized nonprofit organization which aims to harness the positive potential of commercialism and globalization in ways which create long-term sustainability. Our model is designed in a way which incentivizes for-profit foreign-language educational institutions across the globe to engage with and support our nonprofit activities via the incorporation of cyclical value chains into our nonprofit operational strategies. We are not a traditional nonprofit organization. In fact, we've worked very hard to set ourselves apart.

Put simply, we are able to provide cost-free foreign language education to the local community in Vietnam because we provide a great amount of value to our volunteers and our for-profit partners. For our volunteers, we offer the opportunity to develop your skills as foreign language educators and secure teaching positions overseas in a way which not only benefits you but also your students. We create value for our for-profit partner institutions by providing them an avenue for accessing and hiring teachers that are trained, ready to teach, and have previous experience teaching and living overseas. This greatly reduces the hiring risk for foreign language institutions which often hire teachers from abroad based only on a few Skype interviews.

A primary goal of Trellis is to create value for all - from our students to our volunteers to our partners - in a way which creates long-term positive impact and sustainability. During our Fall 2017 program, we did exactly this; our dedicated volunteers received training and work experience while teaching the local community as well as full-time teaching positions in one of the most in-demand cities in all of Japan to live and work upon completing our program.

If anybody would like to discuss our model or values in more detail, we're happy to have a discussion! Please send us an email at [email protected] to get the conversation started.

“We started with a team of four volunteers. Three males and one female. By the end of the program, only two of the males remained. Half of us quit — myself included. This leaves Trellis with a 50% approval rating for their first program.” - To keep things simple, this is in fact grossly disingenuous. One of our volunteers unfortunately was forced to return home prematurely due to a family emergency. The other two volunteers successfully completed Trellis’ program and went on to teaching positions in Japan upon their departure from Danang.

“My full contract term was not fulfilled due to administrative and professional business ineptitude that led to unsolved issues related to my legal visa status and program management….” - Our partner institution was hosting his visa under the condition that he was teaching. After his premature withdrawal, our partner institution was under no obligation to continue hosting his visa after its expiration but we came to an agreement to continue hosting his visa until his scheduled departure. Another volunteer faced a similar visa situation in which his visa required extension and Trellis worked with him to extend his visa with no issues.

“• Ineffective leadership and mismanagement” - We’re sorry you felt this way. We have taken measures to further develop our management strategies so that this is no longer an issue in the future.

“• A steep program fee cost, with zero guaranteed return and no clear refund policy ($2,000, plus airfare, international insurance, living expenses)” - Our refund policies are clearly laid out in our Terms and Conditions agreement. His failure to sign it initially is our oversight and we have taken measures to ensure that such a scenario does not occur again.

“• Poor orchestration of teaching schedule; locking volunteers into an 11-hour window of free labor (6:45am-5:45pm), five days a week” - All of Trellis’ program fees are put directly towards maintaining and expanding our non-profit initiatives. We make absolutely no money from conducting these extracurricular educational programs so referring to our volunteer program as ‘free labor’ is extremely disingenuous. While our class and transportation schedules were indeed a weak point of our initial program, we have reorganized our operational strategies so that this will not be the case for any future programs.

“• Transportation costs not being reimbursed in a timely manner (we often had to find our own way to the school, on our own dime)” - Volunteers were given access to an Trellis credit card to use for Uber services to get to and from our facilities as a group. When an Uber car was not available, our volunteers were advised to get a taxi and were reimbursed, in cash, for their transportation expense.

“• Lack of adequate teaching materials (whiteboard markers, erasers, printing paper, etc)” - We’re sorry that you felt that our teaching materials were not adequate. As a small, growing, non-profit organization, we do our best to supply our teachers with all the necessary materials to conduct their classes effectively. For future programs, we will try our best to take measures to ensure a surplus of materials for use by our volunteers.

“• Onsite training limited to about week or two, as acting manager is rarely in the office to administer continued training” - Trellis provides its volunteers with two full weeks of training prior to beginning teaching classes. This includes 5-6 days of in-classroom training, a group excursion, and a final few days of lesson planning and Q&A. If any volunteer - at any point - requires additional training or has any questions whatsoever, our staff will happily sit down with them one-on-one to assist with their individual skill-development. This happened on multiple occasions throughout the duration of our Fall 2017 program and we have since developed systems which allow for our volunteers to schedule meetings with our team abroad to discuss individual questions via Skype.

“• Acting manager showing up late (hours after volunteers clock in) on a 4/5 (weekly) ratio (volunteers show up at 6:45am/acting manager does not arrive in office until 8am or later)” - We apologize for not meeting and exceeding your personal expectations regarding on-site management. Trellis’ volunteer program is structured to prepare our volunteers for gainful employment overseas upon completion of our program. During the first month to month and a half of our program, we work hard to ensure that a Trellis staff member is on-site to assist our volunteers with anything they need. This was the case with our Fall, 2017 program. We feel it necessary to gradually expect our volunteers to be more and more independent throughout the course of our program. This is because, as with any job, when you eventually transition to teaching full or part-time, you will be expected to conduct your lessons and activities as an individual. Our staff is always contactable and ready to provide assistance to our volunteers at any point during our program but, gradually, more independence will be granted to our volunteers as our program progresses.

“• Agreements have not been crafted or cleared by attorneys. No legitimate contract. No legal disclaimers or failsafes. Grey areas all around” - We have taken measures to ensure that this incident is not repeated. If any prospective volunteers wish to go over our Terms and Conditions document in detail with a Trellis representative, we’re happy to accommodate this request.

Again, we sincerely apologize that Danny’s personal experience did not live up to his expectations and that he didn’t have as good a time as the other volunteers did during his time with Trellis. We have taken his feedback into due consideration and have identified as well as implemented strategies to improve our programs in future. We encourage all prospective volunteers reading this review to take this into consideration. The reviews of our other volunteers that worked alongside Danny during our Fall 2017 program are available on our GoOverseas program listing page.

If any prospective volunteer would like to discuss this particular review or any grievances raised within it in detail, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Trevor
DaNang, Vietnam
University of South Carolina- Columbia

Go For It!

Let me give a brief synopsis of my experience as a volunteer for Trellis and I hope it will convince you to take this opportunity! I had always wanted to travel abroad, and I especially have always wanted to go to Japan to teach English. However, I knew I lacked experience in teaching and I'd also always been interested in Vietnam as well, so when I learned about Trellis, I truly felt like it was right for me! My experience so far in Vietnam has been everything I had hoped for, and my journey will continue on to Japan in January of 2018! From the day I arrived in Vietnam, Trellis has been there for me every step of the way, but not in a way that is overbearing or gives you the feeling that you can't have your own experience. However, if you feel at anytime that you need someone, they are always there to help you.
As for the teaching experience, I feel that as a volunteer Trellis has given me the opportunity to develop my own teaching skills and given me the tools that I will need in any future teaching job. It is the perfect opportunity to develop classroom management skills as well as develop lesson plans and ideas for any ESL classroom setting. I now feel confident in my ability to lead a classroom, whereas I did not before I began volunteering at Trellis.
To say Trellis has impacted my life in a positive way would be an understatement. I have seen and learned so much in such a short period of time while in Vietnam. Not only has my volunteer experience been life changing, but Trellis has impacted my future as well by enabling me to secure a teaching job in Japan! I implore you to consider a position with Trellis, as it could very easily change your life like it has mine!

Response from Trellis

Hey Trevor,

Thanks very much for your kind words and for being part of our first ever program. You were an integral part of our team and we hope to see you and Daniel return for a visit very soon! Good luck with your journey to Japan in the new year.

Regards,

•   Easy, direct messages
  •   Network of travelers
  •   Verified reviews

About the Provider

Trellis is a non-profit organization which uses education as a tool to uplift individuals and communities. We offer comprehensive volunteer, work experience, and job placement programs for people who want to travel, teach, and live overseas.

Our entirely unique, self-sustainable, and community-driven volunteer and work

Visit Site