Jane Sarouhan headshot

Jane Goldstone Sarouhan

Co-Founder, J2Guides

Jane traveled around the world when she was a junior in college, taking her anthropology studies from books to reality in England, India, Thailand, Malaysia, New Zealand and Colombia. While the countries and cultures were astounding, it was her faculty, and their leadership, that had an even greater impact. While she finished her degree in anthropology, Jane quickly started looking for opportunities to similarly guide students. She led her first student group of students on a volunteer and adventure program in Belize in 1994 and has never looked back.

Jane has dedicated her last 25 years to the field of experiential education. J2Guides, co-founded by Jane and her husband Jason, is an innovative counseling service and educational platform that brings empowerment, expertise and affordability to the center of the gap year conversation. Jane is an accredited professional gap year counselor, and former board member, of the Gap Year Association and she has been a keynote speaker at the USA Gap Year Fairs since 2011.

Jane's background in this field has as much depth as it does breadth. She spent her 20s leading programs in Africa, Asia and Central America, honing her skills as a problem solver, nurse, cultural ambassador, general contractor, conflict mediator, co-leader, and financial planner. For another decade she was a program manager and then executive director of an educational travel organization, further expanding her skills in ethical and sustainable program development, risk management, and experiential education curriculum. Jane’s current decade as a gap year counselor has her promoting the gap year on a national level at conferences and schools, traveling the world to vet quality placements, advising new programs on best practices, and of course working closely with families to curate the gap year options that will best meet the unique needs, interests, goals and budget of each courageous gap year student.

“I am a facilitator at heart, and feel honored to support people in life's transitions. In addition to my role as a gap guide I am a trained birth doula and wedding officiant. I love living in a beautiful 4-season New England valley where I can ski, canoe, camp and trail run. Making art and playing ukulele bring me levity and joy. And when I travel, whether it's 1 hour or 9,000 miles away, it's with purpose, optimism and a desire to make genuine connections with a place and its people. My husband Jason and I have worked and adventured together for 15 years, including starting a family of our own. We have been fortunate to travel the world, but our homes away from home remain Truro and Truckee. Through it all we have aspired to cultivate what we call a #gapyearstateofmind. What does that mean? For starters: knowing your why, nurturing curiosity and compassion, pushing beyond your comfort zone, striving for your best version of yourself, and doing so with integrity, authenticity and fun.”

Professional Associations