Volunteer Expedition - Aitutaki, Cook Islands

Volunteer Expedition - Aitutaki, Cook Islands

Aitutaki is one of the Cook Islands, which are in the South Pacific. It consists of a main island, a turquoise lagoon and a surrounding barrier reef. The lagoon’s waters teem with marine life, including rays, bonefish and turtles.

As part of our volunteer expedition you will get the opportunity to immerse yourself deep within the culture and tradition of this unique island sanctuary whilst stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. The pristine waters of the lagoon will simply take your breath away.

This unique volunteering program will allow you to teach in a local school in one of the most extraordinary destinations on earth. Provide basic education and get involved with a variety of activities, all whilst having the opportunity to discover Aitutaki through our localised itinerary.

• Expedition
Spring Break
Guesthouse
GBP
What's Included?

Airport welcome and 24/7 in country support provided by Travel Teacher expedition leaders
All necessary project equipment and materials
All necessary project training by experienced staff
In-country Director, Cook Islands based local experts and UK team providing planning, risk management and 24-hour support
Travel Teacher T-shirt
Accredited Qualification - Award in Education and Training
Comprehensive pre-departure information and full induction prior to your experience
Organised evening Cook Islands Maori activities including traditional island night
In country welcome meeting and location orientation
Travel Teacher expedition leaders living with you 24/7.
Accommodation self catering (Optional mean packages available)
Airport Transfers
Transportation throughout the duration of your experience
Country expedition inclusive of fees and transport including uninhibited islands, whale watching and snorkelling trips
Travel Teacher Awards Celebration
Travel Teacher Alumni membership
The opportunity to become a Travel Teacher ambassador

Joe
United Kingdom
Southampton Solent University

Simply unforgettable!

I think it speaks volumes that someone such as myself, who traditionally never takes photos of anything, ever, and who tends to run away at the sight of a camera lens ended up taking around 250 photos and 30 videos of my experience in Aitutaki, even selfies!, Which just goes to show the beauty of this paradise island. Everywhere you pointed your camera was a stunning photo opportunity just waiting to be taken. There is no where quite like it and I cannot believe that it has been almost 2 months since coming back to England already! I still think about the experience and miss it.

There was so much more the experience than just the beauty of the location though, throughout my 2 weeks in Aitutaki, not only was I able to challenging myself through immersing myself into a completely different culture, I embraced it, trying things I never thought I would've done in my 'bubble' back home in England. This ranged from local delicacies to entertainment and I can honestly say that it is a unique and deeply satisfying feeling to come out of your comfort zone and to experience this beautiful part of the world for what it is - paradise!

As beautiful as the island was, as amazing, unique and unforgettable as the experiences were, for me, what stood out the most was just how kind the local Maori people were. They made me and the rest of the Travel Teacher team feel like A-list celebrities ever since we arrived on their island and I, for one, felt home immediately despite being about as far away from home as was possible to be.

Of course, we were not just there on holiday, we embarked on this journey with Travel Teacher to make a difference to the lives of the Maori people whilst working at Araura College - the only secondary school on the whole island, which should come as little surprise when the population of Aitutaki is only around 2000. I was able to form a plethora of excellent relationships with both staff and students alike during my time at Araura college. I quickly came to realise that when the time came to say goodbye, that it was going to be an emotional day. Despite this awareness, nothing can quite prepare you for when that time does inevitably come. Hundreds of children and all of the staff gathered to welcome us to their school and hundreds gathered to say goodbye. Many gave hugs, many gave gifts, many even gave us presentations as to how our time at their school has impacted them on a personal level. This, coupled with the affirmation from the teachers, was a truly humbling feeling to have had such an impact on so many lives throughout my time on the island. I can honestly say that it went both ways as well.

As an aspiring PE teacher with plenty of experience in the field, for me personally, it is a special feeling when you impart some of your knowledge and skills and wisdom onto a child in a manner which benefits them through interpersonal development. Throughout my experience with Travel Teacher, I found that this epistemological belief that I had previously held was amplified tenfold. The whole package was a unique and unforgettable one and I would absolutely recommend Travel Teacher to anyone with a passion for education and/or travelling. You will be embarking on a journey you will never forget!

More accurate description of prices and a more realistic expectation of how much money to bring.

Josh
Southampton
Southampton Solent University

Aitutaki

Words can not describe this thrilling and life changing experience.
I began the journey knowing a few faces from university and several I didn't know, however by the end of the experience we had all became life long friends. The exbiditions we embarked on were fantastic and allowed us to view scenery the majority of us have never encountered before. We also all managed to try something new which made to experience more personal and rememberable. The people and especially the children at the school made us feel so welcome, that you never wanted to leave. It was an eye opening experience which allowed everyone to see how people less fortunate than us live, and to participate in their beautiful culture. Furthermore Matt Ray allowed us to have the freedom to discover an make our own experience what we wanted. Travel teacher is really making a difference and I would recommend this experience to anyone.

Dan

Aitutaki - Travel Teacher

Where to start... From the moment I touched down in Aitutaki Airport, to the moment I left, I felt like the luckiest person in the world. I love teaching, and being able to do something you love in a country you have never been to before and then fall in love with is just amazing!

This was such a unique experience as there is nothing like this at the moment in our industry and Matt Ray has such amazing connections which makes the whole journey a lot better. Being able to teach a group of children in a completely different culture to us here in the UK gave me such an insight into a different school curriculum and how countries with little financial or material support can bring out the best in children.

I would definitely recommend this experience to anyone who enjoys travelling and or teaching or who is just looking to build their confidence away from home and jump out of their comfort zone!

An amazing journey, with some unforgettable experiences. The school was so welcoming and giving to us all, and I know I was able to give something back! The people on this island are the kindest, most thoughtful people I have ever met and I can't wait to come back and see them all again!

The best thing about this whole trip though was the location. Stunning views, beautiful crystal clear lagoons with some unbelievable beaches! Hopefully I will become an ambassador for Travel Teacher in the further and help others experience what I have these last 2 weeks!

Longer programmes, staying in different countries for longer to further impact the children.

Aaron
United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire New University

Aitutaki

This trip has been one I will never forget!
There has been so much positivity to take away from Aitutaki starting with the people! Teaching the children has been amazing! They are always excited to see you and embrace everything that you are trying to teach them!
Away from the school, no matter where you go, you are treated like a celebrity because everyone on the island is so thankful for everything you are doing to help the children, and as you learn when you come here, everyone knows each other and news travels fast!
When it comes to the activities that are included in your trip, it's hard to believe water can be so clear and so blue! The snorkelling has been a real highlight, as well as exploring some of the surrounding islands like 'One Foot Island'. In the evening, it's always great to take in a cultural show, especially because some of the dancers are some of the students you are teaching and the teachers you are helping. But the one thing I will take away from this trip the most, like I said at the beginning, is just how happy the people always are, even though in quite a lot of cases they live very basic lives. It's makes you feel more appreciative of everything we have available to us back in the UK. I very much plan on coming back to the Cook Islands again! And I already cannot wait for that day when I do come back out here!

Alex
London

Travel Teacher

This is a life-changing experience that leaves you craving more. After my experience with Travel Teacher in the Cook Islands, I not only had the absolute privilege of teaching a number of kids that were eager and excited to learn and hear what I had to say, but I also was able to learn a lot more about myself and what I want to achieve in the coming years. The bright smiles running up to me each school day as we arrived is an image that I will never forget.

Outside of the classroom, Travel Teacher takes you to some of the most beautiful and sought after locations in the world. The ocean was beautiful, the people the friendliest I've ever known, and the food was fresh and gorgeous.

There is some of your traditional travel elements here of course, but what sets Travel Teacher aside from the rest is their culture. If you want a life changing experience that will push you out of your comfort zone, take you to places you have only dreamed of, and give you life long memories with new friends you'll never forget, then Travel Teacher is for you.

Travel Teacher makes volunteering abroad more ethical, meaningful and educational, we want travel to change you in ways that you have never imagined. Volunteering abroad with Travel Teacher is just about the most inspiring thing you could do. Experience island life and make a difference