Support a Cat and Dog Shelter in Uvita, Costa Rica

take care of dogs
take care of dogs

Are you an animal lover looking to volunteer abroad?

Combine your passion for animals and desire to give back by helping abandoned street animals in Costa Rica. You can help look find a new and beautiful home for stray dogs and cats by volunteering with Jamso Trainee.

This program is managed by a local NGO in Costa Rica that aims to improve the situation of the animals living on the streets.
Help provided by volunteers is always greatly appreciated as there is a lot of work to keep the program running. Many families in Costa Rica do not have the knowledge of Animal Welfare, especially in feeding. That's why it is so important to educate families who would like to get an animal as a family member. Animals are only mediated when the family has the correct surrounding for the cat or the dog.

The project is located on the beautiful pacific coast of Costa Rica.

• Feeding, and walking the animals
  • Helping animals in need

Impact

Your tasks as a volunteer may include: Caring for street dogs and cats (combing, taking dogs for walks), cleaning cages, administering drugs, supporting sterilization procedures, assisting in rescue operations, distributing food for animals on the street.

Still looking for a program?

We are working on over 50 projects around the world. Click below to find the right one for you!

Nathalie

Beachlife - fun time

I had a wonderful experience with Jamso Trainee. I was especially impressed with the personal one-on-one guidance from the moment I inquired to the moment I boarded my plane. They really make an effort to make sure you are getting the trip you signed on for and are comfortable and ready. I got an airport pick up and stayed first night at a host family. On next day got the transfer to the bus station and my way to Uvita. Uvita is a cozy town, where you can go to waterfalls, beach and bars & restaurants.
The host family who run the volunteer house is very friendly and welcoming. During my stay there all the volunteers got along great. The project itself is just awesome. They do really a lot for the dogs and cats. I can highly recommend this project! Thanks to Angela for the great organization.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Gallo Pinto - never ate before, very tasty. The ticos do eat at the morning. For me it was great for lunch ;).
Anne

dog and cat shelter in Costa Rica - perfect place

I've spent 2 weeks volunteering at an animal shelter in Costa Rica that rescues neglected animals from the pazific area and gives them medical treatment, food, shelter and a whole lotta love. It was hands down the best use of my time and energy. The people you'll meet are so incredibly welcoming and warmhearted and the animals are so hungry for love and attention. I stayed at a volunteer house with like-minded volunteers from around the world. It is great knowing so many people from around the world. Costa Rica itself has so much to offer and Wildlife and nature is so magic. If you're having doubts about going to Costa Rica, I've been there, probably everyone here has. It certainly takes courage to step outside of your comfort zone but I urge you to do it because it will be one of the most memorable experiences of your life!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would stay longer. This 2 weeks where an amazing time, next time I love to stay at least 4 weeks.
Samantha

Great people - Pura Vida

Everyone was so helpful and welcoming. I would definitely go with them again!!! I highly recommend to go with Jamso Trainee, this way you can discover the costarican culture through the amazing staff there and also make new friendships with the other volunteers. I stayed at Hazel´s home with other volunteers and she is my sweet tica mum. I defintly will miss her. She was taking care of all of us and made this experiance more sprecial. I loved to eat Gallo Pinto (tipical breakfast: rice and beans), but she also offered us pancakes or cornflakes with banana. During my free time I went to see beaches of Manuel Antonio and I did a 3 day tour to Volcano Arenal. Definitly can reccommend to do this it was amazing. Thanks for the best experience ever!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
It was amazing to see how many people do help the dogs and cats. I remember as Scooby came to the project total skinny and really bad condition. So happy to see that people take care of them and after some weeks they looking great and most find really fast a new warm home.