• Costa Rica
    • San José

Program Details

Host Family Hostel

Pricing

This cost includes three meals a day, accommodation, snacks for patrols, equipment (for patrols), guide during the volunteering, back up and support. Airfare and transportation to the project, lodging in San Jose, travel/medical insurance and personal expenses are not included in the cost. It is mandatory for you to take out travel and medical insurance for the duration of the project.
Apr 14, 2016
Nov 07, 2019
1 traveler is looking at this program

Volunteer with sea turtles in Costa Rica as one of our marine conservation volunteers, and join this Olive Ridley turtle program in the spectacular Southern Pacific coast of Costa Rica on Drake Bay, home to over 25 dolphin and whale species and the Olive Ridley Turtle. Marine conservation volunteers will take part in night surveys, monitoring eggs and baby turtles, releasing baby turtles into the ocean and helping with local conservation education projects.

You can join for 1 week up to 12 weeks from July to December every year. We have places all throughout 2014 & 2015 available. Individuals, groups and students doing research all welcome. Cost includes lodging in main camp/homestay, 3 meals a day, training & supervision, snacks for patrols, materials; starts at £312.

Here are the projects you can join in Costa Rica:

Helen

Girl Guiding adventure in Costa Rica

I took part in this project through Girl Guiding international trip. It took me out of my confort zone and into a rainforrest filled with bugs and insects but i didnt mind. Mainly because I had the most amazing experience on that I will never forget. On my trip I conqured so many fears and was put in situatiuons which I would never have imagined in my wildest dreams but I wouldnt have changed it for the world best 3 weeks of my life Ive spent. The projescts abroad staff were so accomodating, I personally didnt have any experience with speaking spanish, let alone Costa Rican spanish! So i felt very very out of my depth in that regard. But the staff knew a lot of english and were alble to teach me a few words and phrases. My favourite of all id 'Pura Vida' or pure life, a manta that Costa Rican Ticos live by.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I was having a shower and a trantula came out of nowhere! I was terrified and almost ran out naked but all was good he scuttled away and i continued to shower. Not something im likely to want to repeat.