• Costa Rica

Age Max
Short Term Spring Break Summer Winter Year Round
Apartment Guesthouse Host Family Hostel
Groups
Small Group (1-15) Medium Group (16-30) Large Group (31+)
Travel Type
Budget Family Older Travelers Solo Women

Pricing

Maximo Nivel has been offering volunteer abroad programs since 2003. We are a locally-based organization in Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Peru. Our volunteer abroad program fees are affordable and transparent.

New volunteer programs start every Monday year-round
Professional Field Managers
Volunteer abroad programs available from 1-52 weeks
All-inclusive—accommodations, meals, and many extras
24/7 in-country support
Academic credit available
No registration or processing fees
All-inclusive program fees from $665
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Airport Transfers Some Meals Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Travel Insurance
Feb 15, 2022
Dec 30, 2022
103 travelers are looking at this program

Costa Rica is known for having progressive environmental and social policies, and Costa Rica is widely considered one of the planet’s most sustainable countries. At the same time, Costa Rica is still a developing country with a low national income and a number of socio-economic issues. This means Costa Rica offers a wide variety of ways to get involved in volunteer abroad projects, contribute to sustainable programs, and provide help to vulnerable populations. There is a lot to do in a country like Costa Rica and international volunteers are needed and welcomed!

Maximo Nivel provides volunteer abroad projects at our institutes in San Jose (capital city) and Manuel Antonio (beach). Projects are also available off-site in Guanacaste (beach), Caribbean (beach), and Monteverde (cloud forest), which are rural areas and offer a more “off-the-grid” experience than San Jose or Manuel Antonio.

Program Highlights

• New volunteer programs start every Monday year-round
  • All-inclusive—shared accommodations, meals, and many extras
  • Academic credit available
  • No Registration or processing fees
  • 24/7 in-country support

Popular Programs

Working with Kids in Costa Rica

When you are volunteering with kids in Costa Rica, you are directly impacting the 1 in 5 families that live in poverty. Your day will be focused on helping underprivileged children with homework and fun activities.

Teaching English in Costa Rica

When you do this program, you are giving access to a skill that most kids learn in private language centers: speaking English. By volunteering with Maximo Nivel to teach english, you are giving a leg up to under privileged kids.

Conservation Projects in Costa Rica

When you think of Costa Rica, the first thought is usually the incredible beaches, and we are determined to keep it that way. Volunteering in this conservation project helps us keep Costa Rica preserved.

Construction Projects in Costa Rica

When you volunteer on this project, you will have a high tangible impact on the community by building homes, schools, and community centers. These projects are led by a local foremen and are focused on community development.

• 5 rating 91.67%
  • Benefits 5
  • Facilities 5
Brooklyn

Holiday Program

I went on the Holiday Program to San Jose, Costa Rica with Maximo Nivel and IVHQ. I had an incredible experience, and I would recommend this trip to everyone. I am 18 years old, and it was my first time doing a program like this. However, I was able to adjust quickly due to the constant support and care by the Maximo Nivel staff, other volunteers, and my host family. Even though I was a solo traveler, I never felt alone. My advice to future volunteers is to come in with an open mind and kind heart, and be ready to learn, listen, adapt, and have a life changing experience!

Pros
  • Maximo Nivel staff support
  • Meeting amazing people
  • Cultural immersion
Brooklyn

Maximo Nivel Holiday Volunteer Program

The holiday program was overall a great experience. I think it is one of the best ways to travel to a new country while being able to give back. The volunteering fills part of the day with different types of work while leaving the rest of the day free to travel and see other parts of the city and country. It especially is a great way to travel for a long period of time as there is a host family to prepare the breakfasts and dinners. This type of a trip can accommodate a wide range of travels, from going alone to a family coming together. In the holiday program there is a group of people from all different places, and it is a great way to meet new and friendly people. Overall this trip has been the best one I have ever taken, as the volunteering experience does make an impact, so you don't feel just as a tourist, but more immersed in the country. This aspect as well as the people I have met have been the best part of the trip.

Pros
  • Price of the trip
  • Workers from Maximo Nivel
  • Immersion
Cons
  • Host family lived far away
Eliana

Costa Rica Holiday Program

It was a very rewarding experience and my fellow volunteers all were very lovely and nice! I became close friends with them, which was very nice. And all the activities we participated in during the mornings were very impactfu and were all very different, so there was variety and it was never boring.

Pros
  • living with a host family so you can experience a new culture
  • making an impact in the community
  • form close friends
Ellie

holiday week program

We as a family were looking for an opportunity to volunteer, expose our children to a different culture, and gain a new perspective on the world. We had never volunteered before. The program was well organized, safe, knowledgeable, and fun!!!! We stayed with a host family and it was enriching. An example of our daily activities include painting murals for an orphanage and spending time with the elderly. Afternoons were free for excursions or spanish classes. Highly recommend this program. The staff are kind and caring. We look forward to coming back to volunteer.

• Organized
  • Impactful
Cons
  • none
Eliana

Costa Rica Medical Campaign Winter 2022

I had such a great experience! The staff was super helpful and showed us around the area. Our host family was so sweet and we had great food every day. I loved being immersed in Spanish and the culture of Costa Rica. Working with the community was so fun. I loved going to different places each day. It was great to learn about medicine in general here in Costa Rica. I wish we could have stayed longer to help more people in the community. We loved all of the activities. I couldn't have asked for a better trip.

Pros
  • The staff
  • Working with the community
Cons
  • Too short
Ellie

Costa Rica Winter 2022

I had such an amazing time with this program.<i learned so much so fast in a very welcoming enviorment. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to volunterr in a place so beautiful filled with even better people. The staff at Maximo is so kind and want to make sure oyu get the best experienece that you can get no matter how long you are there for. I felt I could go to them with any questions and there was going to be no judgment. I 100% recommend this program if you want to help people, explore new culture, make new friends, and make a difference in the world.

Pros
  • Learning how to interact with people who speak a different language
  • Making new friends in my group and in Maximo Nivel
  • Learned about the culture of Costa Rica
Cons
  • Early monrings
Niharika

Medical Campaign

Overall, this was the most gratifying and unique experience ever.Although, we did not make a huge difference in the local community, I am glad we could make our small contributions. The staff were a great team to work with and they made sure that we had a good experience here. The home stay gave us an authentic experience, in which we were able to truly understand the costa rican culture. The family was very inclusive and helped us have a smooth transition. The patients and the people we helped were very appreciative of our work as well.

Patricia

Costa Rica winter 2022 medical campaign

This experience has been an amazing experience! I had a wonderful time here at San Jose Costa Rica, with the support of the Maximo Nivel team. My favorite part of the program is being able to travel and shadow alongside a local doctor during the trip. I had the pleasure to interact with children as well in local day cares. Maximo Nivel did a wonderful job in introducing the local culture to us, hosting cooking classes, salsa classes, and cool tours around the area. I learned a lot in this trip, got to apply what I learned in school to practical use, knowing that I have made an impact.

Pros
  • staff support
  • atmosphere during experience
  • being able to shadow a doctor during volunteering
Cons
  • wasn't used to the shower system
  • I did not know enough Spanish coming in
  • tour guide during San Jose wking tour