By Maximo Nivel   Reviews (26)   94% Rating

Local Volunteer Projects in Costa Rica

By Maximo Nivel   Reviews (26)   94% Rating

Maximo Nivel provides great volunteer programs Costa Rica—programs are available in the capital city of San Jose and on the beach in Manuel Antonio. Maximo is a locally-based organization and you work directly with local projects, get involved, and make an impact!

University credit is available for our service learning programs from our official School of Record: California State University-Monterey Bay.

Volunteer placements include:

North America › Costa Rica › San José
Cost
Volunteer Programs Include:

- Airport pick-up
- Personalized volunteer placement based on your skills and interests
- Safe, comfortable housing with breakfast and dinner included Monday - Sunday.
- In-country orientation, safety presentation, and walking tour
- Free access to high-speed internet and modern computers
- Free Office-wide WiFi
- Home-base facilities and multi-lingual team support 7 days/week
- In field support from our professional Field Managers
- Free Salsa lessons
- Free Cooking lessons
- Cultural and social activities
- A toll-free emergency hotline in the U.S.
500.00

No but it helps. I know minimal Spanish and I had an amazing time. There will always be someone with you who speaks English like a coordinator or someone from IVHQ but you should be fine!

Rating Values

Jiawen
Florida
University of South Florida

You should not miss it!!!!

Overall 10

I really enjoied every moment | worked here. My project is childcare on Maximo Nivel from 3/13 to 3/17 in 2017. To be honest, it was hard for me to come a stranger country, especially I cannot speak Spinish. I almost want to give it up. But when I started my program, the first day I saw the kids' smile, I was totally attracted by their smiling. Even it was so hard to communicate with them, I still had great times with them. Just remember, showing love to them and them you will get love back! I promise I will come back with a fluent Spinish!

Mike
Canada

My review of volunteering in Costa Rica

Overall 10

Great experience! Met a lot of fantastic people and had a lot of fun at the same time. Would definetely do it again if I get the chance and I would recomend it to others. Spent two weeks in Monteverde, and one week in San Jose. You get to meet a lot of people. It really improves your communication skills, as well as makes you open up and fully experience a foreign country. You also have enough time to travel and have a great time with friends you meet here at Maximo and in Costa Rica. Thank you guys.

Codey
Canada

Everything I hoped for!

Overall 10

I was a great experience to enjoy the present and thinking about the future with a fresh persective. I feel fortunate that I had the oppourtunity to participate in this program. I would recommend it to anybody who wants to see Costa Rica. The experience of immersing into the culture is very rewarding. Another advantage of the program is having the guidance about where to go and the best way to do things. The local knowlwdge was extremely useful

Thomas
Cartago, Asilo de La Vijez
University of Manitoba

Medical volunteering

Overall 7

Overall we had a wonderful experience as reflected by the high score in the review. That said, we had several concerns both in the lead up to the experience and during.

These all centered around a lack of communication regarding our expectations and our qualifications heading into the project. I volunteered with 3 other medical students from Canada and despite frequent detailing our high level of training the IVHQ the main volunteer organizations there was limited in any knowledge of that training upon our arrival to Costa Rica.

That said, the staff here did an awesome job in supporting us. Tati, our main project leader was fun, knowledgeable and very supportive. She ensured our projects were well set up to accomodate us as best as they could. Without her tireless work and creativity our experience would have been disapointing. We also felt that our expectations for work were a little much and therefore we strongly advocated for ourselves to have Friday's off to explore the beautiful country. We offered to work longer days mid-week to accomodate.

My advice would be to make sure to advocate for yourself as you are ultimately the one paying the program fees, make sure you get what you want out of this trip. The team and the people at Maximo are wonderful and supportive and the country is absolutely incredible.

If you want to take Spanish classes all week each afternoon, go for it. If you do not want that then don't be pressured into spending more money and giving up your free time, tell them 'no, I want to use afternoons to explore and experience' and you will be just fine. It may be harder to accompplish this as a group of 1 or 2 but in our 4some we made sure that the trip worked for us as well as the project to which we were assigned. We had tons of meaningful experiences with patients and residents of Costa Rica and the time we alotted was a perfect mix of work and free time.

Overall we were very happy but | would encourage people to make sure to advocate for themselves and get the trip that they want. Make sure to encourage communication in the lead-up to the trip as well!

Thanks!

more communication, acknowledge participants goals prior to arrival in order to better accomodate.
Jade
San Diego, CA United States
San Diego State University

A LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE

Overall 10

My boyfriend, Charlee and I spent a week in Costa Rica. We were placed in the child care program at Pollitos. From the first day we arrived until our last day, we felt nothing but respect, love and appreciation. Everyone from the Maximo Team was extremely helpful and kind. Our host family, Yami, was the definition of Costa Rican hospitality. Yami and her husband, Victor went out of their way to accommodate to our needs. The children and the staff at Pollitos will forever be in our hearts. In one short week, Costa Rica became one of my favorite places in the world because of this program. Thank you so so so much for this incredible life changing experience! Pure Vida!

No suggestions at this time.
Sina
Switzerland

Volunteering in Costa Rica

Overall 10

The past two months I spent volunteering in Costa Rica with Maximo Nivel. I worked in an orphanage and also in a day care center. Those eight weeks have been one of the best weeks in my life. Very nice and helpful staff, amazing kids, the best host family I could have asked for and amazing travel destinations on the weekends. Seeing how one of the little ones was first afraid of water but after our swimlessons became so brave was definitely one of the best experiences. So sad I have to leave, but Ill be back!

Amanda
Saint Louis, MO

Teaching English

Overall 10

I had the wonderful opportunity to teach English in La Carpio (just a bit outside San Jose) for 6 weeks. Going into my trip, I had absolutely no idea what to expect. This is one of those things that you just have to experience to understand. But throughout my 6 weeks, I not only was able to help the local community, I also learned so much about myself and the world. This was my first overseas trip, so travelling by myself in a different country was completely new to me. I was able to see many sides of Costa Rica, and its people by leaving San Jose 5 of my 6 weekends. Also, I made some truly wonderful friends, not only in other volunteers, but also in my students. I will truly cherish these friendships for life, and even though it was so hard to leave, I know that I will be coming back. I highly recommend both travelling to Costa Rica, as well as volunteering through Maximo Nivel! The staff is extremely friendly and supportive, and they seem to really care about you, not just as a client, but as a person.

Luisa
San Jose, Costa Rica

pura vida

Overall 10

First of all, anybody who is about to read that review and is struggling with whether to go on that trip or not... should send the application book those tickets NOW.
Travelling alone will be the scariest, most liberating and most precious experience of your life - and I am so so grateful for having made the decision to live that experience exactly here with exactly this people!
The whole Maximo Nivel team consists of uniquely amazing, supportive and genuinly caring people with the best intentions at heart always making sure you are feeling fine in the new environment. They are gold.
My project itself was the perfect fit! Taking care of children always was my passion, but working and sharing your time with little Ticos who trust a stranger so much and open their heart to you every day a little bit more is such a priceless and precious experience that will leave you with a sparkle in your heart.

So don't overthink it - believe me when I say to simply do it and let it change your perspective.

'Pura Vida' - Life is wonderful.

Luisa

gabriella
philadelphia

Construction and Renovation

Overall 10

I had a great time adding in the construction of storage shed for a local orphanage. I greatly enjoyed the outdoor work, which was safe but changeling physically and mentally. I never found the work boring as there was always a great sense of purpose behind what I was doing.

If you are considering this volunteering position I would recommend bringing a nice pair of work gloves.

A wonderful experience, worth doing again.

Corey
San Pedro, Costa Rica
University of Georgia

Challenging but Rewarding Experience

Overall 8

I have never traveled abroad before and as one would expect there was some apprehension involved, but that all began to melt away once I met the caring and friendly staff at Maximo Nivel. I arrived by myself but have never once felt alone. They work hard to make sure we feel included and welcomed even in the first few days when you are still trying to make friends and meet the other volunteers. On top of that they ensure we have the supplies and materials we need for our projects.

I participated in the Teaching English program which at times can be trying but overall was very rewarding. Although it was somewhat of a hassle to take the medly of buses to our site every day, the students desire to learn and excitement about the language made it all worth it.

It can be challenging living abroad especially if you're traveling by yourself. But the warm staff, solid programming, and exciting experiences make it all worth it. Living with a brand new family and in a completely foreign city is not for the faint of heart but if you feel you're up to the adventure this wonderful place will provide you with lasting memories for years to come.

Newer supplies in the staff support closet for projects and activities.
Cecilia
New York

Costa Rica- Unforgetable Experience!!!

Overall 10

When I arrived in San Jose, Costa Rica I was very nervous and excited but did not know what to expect. As soon as I got to the house I felt very loved and welcomed by the family. The first day volunteering was life changing to me. I was teaching adults that were very eager to learn English and friendly with me. They are a part of a small community in Coronado.They are amazing people that do not get the same opportunities a lot of us have, and still they are strong and make time to come with their children to learn English and help each other by sticking together through good and bad.
The adults in this community planned a day to take the volunteers on a trip so that we would get to see all the beautiful places in their community. They all saved money to rent a van, take us sightseeing, and visit their church. After that amazing trip we all had dinner together, in which we all brought something to eat. I will never forget all the love and hard work that was put in to make this happen. They gave me so much love that I could never express with words how happy they made me feel. I will always keep the Coronado people in my heart and be thankful that I had a chance to learn the important things in life from them.

It would have helped volunteers know in advance that we had to take multiple buses to get to our projects and the cost of transportation.
Alexus
Saskatchewan, Canada
University of Regina

Special Needs Abroad

Overall 9

My trip to costa rica was very special and fun! I felt like I made a good decision coming here for my first volunteer trip. I reccomend to other volunteers that they learn spanish before or during their expierence and take off more than one week! one week is not enough because this is such a good expierence.

A little more inclusion for the volunteers.
Toddossa
New York
Pennsylvania State University

Costa Rica- Maximo Nivel

Overall 10

I had such an amazing time volunteering here for the week I stayed in Costa Rica! The staff are so welcoming and are here whenever needed. Not once have I felt out of place nor unsafe. I would highly recommened this to anyone.

Nicholas
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
University of Alberta

Maximo Nivel, Costa Rica - Childcare

Overall 9

We worked at a daycare for underpriviledged children within San Jose. Our day began in the morning with Spanish lessons, followed by a bus ride to the daycare. At the daycare, the afternoon often started with nap time, followed by an arts and crafts period, possible play time outside at a soccer field or a playground, and ending with free time with the kids inside. The daycare staff and children did not speak any English, but we were able to communicate with them through the Spanish we learned during our lessons.

We were responsible for occupying the kids with activities during arts and crafts and free time. This involved preparing projects for the kids beforehand. The children sincerely appreciated projects such as snowmen crafts, painting, making Christmas cards, and "all about me" booklets. They also loved playing with the gifts we brought such as hoola hoops, bubbles, toy cars, fingerpaint, tattoos, and a soccer ball.

I felt safe throughout the project and Maximo staff were able to help with any questions I had. The homestay was with a very nice family who prepared excellent meals for us. Evening activities organized by Maximo were enjoyable and well-organized.

More information during orientation such as how to get to laundry and important Spanish phrases relevant to the daycare project.
Kortni
San Jose, Costa Rica

Awesome Learning Experience

Overall 9

Costa Rica has been a beautiful and friendly place. I learned so much from this experience and am so glad I did it! The in country staff at Maximo Nivel were very helpful and did their best to take care of the volunteers.

MarioJungleTom
Westchester, NY
State University of New York- Geneseo

If you're looking for a one time, short term opportunity...

Overall 9

...Maximo is great. But, they have zero volunteer loyalty and their number 1 priority is earning money for the business aspect, rather than their projects and their voluneers, and it shows in the way they treat their staff, their host families, and their volunteers who stay for more than 3 weeks. If you're looking to make a significant impact, which requires someowhat of a chunk of time, find a different organization. Behind the scenes, Maximo cares about making their money and nothing else, and unfortunately this has a negative impact on their projects and volunteers.

Be more responsive to volunteers and remodel your business strategy.
Provider Response

Hello Becca (Rebecca),

We really appreciate the overall rating of 9 and that you would recommend us. We think you’re great too, and we are incredibly saddened that your last experience with us (your 3rd time) has left you feeling this way. We’ve all worked hard together and we’ve loved getting to know you. We hope you will come back as planned in 2014.

We do need to address some of your points because this is a public forum.

We feel a great deal of loyalty to all program participants, especially those—like you—who come back and do multiple programs. We have always prided ourselves on being a hardworking organization and one that is very focused on providing a great volunteer experience.

We work hard to have mutually beneficial relationships with our families and projects and the proof is they’ve continued working with us over the years—which means we bring positive impact. As you know, we have a monthly humanitarian budget that helps support our projects—construction, medical campaigns, orphanages, soup kitchens, English scholarships, etc. It is also important to point out that unlike most volunteer organizations we are locally-based—we purchase locally, we employ primarily local people (65% of staff), and we are active in the community.

Like any organization, we do have a business model, but that does not mean our ‘number one priority is earning money for the business’. In fact, Maximo Nivel is one of the most affordable options for volunteering in Latin America.

Again, we hope you’ll come back.

Best, – Kim, Paula, Sammi, Giovanna, and Ken

Christian
Toronto, Ontario
York University

Experience of a lifetime

Overall 10

I just returned home from assisting with the "Madre Crea con Hijos" construction project for two weeks volunteering with Maximo Nivel. This was a women's rehabilitation facility with children located in Coronado in the province of San Jose.

Some of the daily tasks included installing sheet metal, laying concrete, painting, and tiling. I went into the project hoping to make a difference and that is exactly what occurred. As you complete each and every day at work, you notice all the progress and improvements that have been made and you get this uplifting feeling. It is truly a surreal experience knowing that your hard work is well appreciated.

The Maximo Nivel staff made the whole volunteer trip as smooth as possible right from the very first day of orientation to the last. They were well organized and always available to answer any questions that you had.

The accommodation at the home-stay with the host family was a unique experience for me and I really enjoyed it. The home cooked meals are really good and if one of your goals is to learn Spanish while volunteering, then this is one of the best ways to do it.

The whole experience was truly amazing from contributing to your project, to exploring the beautiful sights of Costa Rica, to making lifelong friendships with the volunteers at Maximo. The best advice I can give anyone considering volunteering abroad is to just do it! Once you immerse yourself in the culture and begin assisting at your project, you will not look back. Numerous discussions among volunteers are usually with regards to planning another volunteer trip in the near future.

All in all, Maximo Nivel was a great organization to work with and I felt this trip opened up new horizons for me. It was truly an experience of a lifetime.

PURA VIDA!

Caroline
Tennessee
Belmont University

In love

Overall 10

I expected to come abroad and have an incredible experience teaching English this summer, but never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined that this please, and the people with whom I am working could touch my heart the way that they have. My biggest fears about coming were my host family, and a lack of support system while in a foreign country, and now that I am here, I can't believe I was ever concerned. After six short weeks, my Costa Rican family already feels like my own family, and not only do I feel supported by the Maximo Nivel staff, but I also feel loved, and known, which is more than I could've ever asked for.

As per my project, I am not going to lie, it isn't what I was expecting. I was expecting to be in a classroom with a bunch of screaming children who would rather do just about anything than listen to me speak English. Instead, I am not only helping teach, but also learning from two of the most special groups of people I've yet to encounter. I'm getting to not only watch them struggle through conjugations and exams, but also getting to watch them anticipate the births of their first children, being welcomed into their homes, and building friendships that will leave hold a permanent place in my heart.

It's amazing how when we have no expectations at all, life can totally take us by surprise, and that is the best way I can describe my experience with Maximo Nivel in Costa Rica. I am love with this country, these people, their language and Maximo and would recommend it absolutely anyone. Best of luck!

Nicole
Ann Arbor, Michigan
University of Michigan

Construction project in San Jose, Costa Rica

Overall 10

During the first week of May 2013, a group of nine of us from the University of Michigan volunteered through Maximo Nivel in San Jose, Costa Rica to help with construction improvements in un hogar de ancianos, a shelter for the elderly in Tejarcillos. I speak for the whole group when I say the trip was one of the most amazing experiences of our lives. By the time the end of the week came, we wanted nothing else but to extend our stay in Costa Rica. In fact, as we were leaving Costa Rica, we were all ready planning our Maximo Nivel trip for next year.

This trip could not have been as incredible without the amazing work of the Maximo Nivel team. Maximo Nivel worked tirelessly to ensure that my group had a comfortable place to stay, a project that met our interests, an itinerary that included both work and play, and a clear budget for my group to plan around. Without the talent of Maximo Nivel employees, this trip would have never happened. In country, we felt completely safe with Maximo Nivel and our house mom. Maximo Nivel has its own private transportation through TransLeo Tours in Costa Rica, and the transportation was reliable and safe. Our house mom was delightful and made sure that we felt at home.

Overall, volunteering through Maximo Nivel was a life-altering experience. We gained more perspective on other culture, but we also grew closer as a group. I won't ever forget the community's pastora thanking us and telling us that God brought us to Tejarcillos to make a difference. This trip has touched and has helped us further appreciate the impact of taking time in our lives to reach out and work with others to make the world a better place.

Landen
Wilmington, NC

Great Program!

Overall 9

I was a medical volunteer for one week in Costa Rica through IVHQ and Maximo Nivel. Overall, the experience was truly a great one. I felt as though I did impact the people I was working with and affected there lives positively. My day to day schedule was my project from 8-12 and then free time from 12 until bed time. With my free time, I shopped in downtown San Jose, zip-lined, took the Doka, Poas, LaPaz tour (HIGHLY RECOMMEND), and I bungee jumped on my last day all in my one week stay! I did all my tours through Trans-Leo and although they are slightly overpriced, the convenience and time saved in my opinion makes it well worth it. My host family was very nice, although no English was spoken in the home to the family. The people at Maximo Nivel were very kind and helpful but let you be independent as well, so, be prepared for that.

The most difficult thing I had to deal with was arrival. Finding my ride took about 15 mins but it was smooth sailing from then. Be calm, and do not worry if this happens to you. Just call and they will help you as they did me. Also, it is very stressful to not know what you will actually be doing once in CR, but you will find out on day one of arrival. My best advice is to just relax, let things happen, and pack scrubs and plan to wear those every day at you project.

Send out more information about which project the individual will be working prior to arrival. It reduces stress levels and helps when preparing to travel.
Jenna
Norwalk, Wisconsin

Volunteer Costa Rica

Overall 10

I can't even begin to describe how amazing my experience was! I volunteered in Costa Rica with Maximo Nivel for four weeks, and my only regret is that I didn't stay longer. I worked on two projects, childcare and turtle conservation. Every moment in each project was simply amazing. Upon arrival, I was welcomed by helpful, loving staff who all quickly became friends. Any time I had a question or conern they were more than happy to help. They went above and beyond my expecations.
The projects were both great learning experiences, but you definitely get out of it what you put into it. We were only with the kids for a few hours every day but in that time we grew to love them. It was wonderful getting to see how they live day to day, getting to play with them, and teach them.
The turtle project was indescribeable, spending time on the beach, meeting people from all over the world, and learning all about sea turtles and the effort to learn about them and help the populations grow.
Without hesitation, I would HIGHLY recommend Maximo Nivel to anyone. I would return to Costa Rica to work with them again in a heartbeat.

There was quite a bit of free time, and although I'm sure many people love that, I would have loved to spend more time with the kids in the childcare program!
Debbie
ft collins, Colorado
Middle Tennessee State University

comfortable

Overall 8

I was nervous at first, but felt much better after orientation and meeting other volunteers. My placement at an orphanage teaching English was as Maximo said...chaotic. The children take a while to warm up to you (who can blame them?), but the first hug you get makes it worthwhile. I made a picture along with a young girl, and had the other volunteers "vote" on which one they liked better.Her grin when she won (and got a first place ribbon I made), was priceless. You can tell she felt special! The biggest difficulty I saw was the "competition" from their television and snacks during our time there in the afternoons. Luckily, we could usually get them outside at some point. Very sweet kids, but they have obviously been through a lot. One more suggestion would be to try and pair someone fluent in Spanish with the rest of us, at least in the beginning. The kids seem to listen better for awhile afterwards.

The tias involved more with supporting us when the kids takeoff to their Room, as we cannot go back there.

Elie
Vancouver, British Columbia

Costa Rica -Pura Vida

Overall 9

Waking up at 6:30 to wonderful aroma of fresh Costa Rican Coffee and Gallo Pinto ( rice & beans) seved with a fried egg and fried plantains my fav!!!Catching the local bus only .50 cent fare and runs regularly every 10 min's (except for rush hour around the universities).Arrive in San Jose in about 20 mins and walking the beautiful Avenida Central (pedestrian only avenue) for approx another 15-20 mins to catch the second bus to my project. On the way pass by many Tostadors (Roasting place) (coffee & nuts)$1 for amazing coffee also cappuccino, lattes you name it! And the most appetizing aromas form the freshly baked pastries in the various bakeries!Easy breakfast, ooops I forgot already had breakfast at home OK just a snack, hahaha! With all the walking and the playing with the kids (skipping rope and soccer)once you arrive at the project, no problem!Beautiful faces and open hearts!What else can one ask for???

Ajay
Northern VA (DC Metro)

Fantastic experience in Costa Rica !

Overall 10

This was our first overseas volunteer experience and we did not know what to expect in terms of the culture, the stay with a local family and the volunteering itself. We were amazed by what the country had to offer and Maximo is surely the icing on the cake. They are so organized and take care of every need you have, even going out of the way to ensure your questions and needs are cared for. The Spanish lessons are extremely nice and we loved our teaches (Teddy and Angela). I wish we could stay more than just 2 weeks, and next time I will definitely plan to stay longer. I am already planning my next trip to Latin America and if I go to CR, Peru or Guatemala, it will surely be through Maximo!

Ajay and Sonali, USA.

Katie
San Francisco

Eco-conservation coffee plantation

Overall 8

I had an amazing time spending a week in Monteverde, Costa Rica. I wanted to do service work abroad, I only had a week, and I wanted to do something outdoors and environmental related since I'd never really done anything like this before. I was a little unsure at first what the work would be like, what the town would be like, or what my family would be like but they were all wonderful. My family was kind and patient and it was great to have the service work connected to the family itself and their livelihood. My first day, my first hour, of work, was already the most meaningful community service I had ever participated in. Unlike internships or jobs in college where I felt like people were creating work for me to do that didn't really matter too much, the work at this coffee farm was clearly deeply valuable to the farmers; if it wasn't us (the volunteers) working, it would have been them. The work was hard, but good. My week, in mid-August, we were helping prepare the nursery. We packed bags with fertilizer that were going to be filled with the baby coffee plants. The farmers were clearing land and creating spaces to place rows of bags. They had 4000 bags to fill and there was two men, one of their sons, and sometimes another daughter - and that was it! But they were creating this nursery, and had purchased their own roaster, so that they could work for themselves (not in maintanence, like one farmer had at a nearby school), work their own land, and do what made them happy. It was amazing to feel included in this process, know that I was contributing in a positive way to their lives. the work could get tedious, and it was hot, but we were never alone, always working with and talking with the farmers and families, learning about them and sharing about ourselves. Also, the region is stunningly beautiful and the work days were short enough to have plenty of time to explore, hike and walk around this small, rural, rustic community and setting.

Avee
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
McMaster University

An experience not be forgotten!

Overall 9

I did my volunteer placement in San Jose, Costa Rica. Upon reaching the new country, as expected, there was a culture shock, especially due to the language barrier between my host family and I. However, after day 1, I adjusted rapidly. The people at Maximo Nivel were very friendly, helpful and made you feel comfortable. I was placed in an HIV clinic in Cartago, a nearby city. Volunteering there was one of the best experiences I've had. I learned so much, was able to meet many wonderful people, and enjoyed every moment there. Additionally, during my free time, I was able to go zip-lining, white water rafting, and bungee jumping. You really make your trip what you want it to be. I only wish that I had spent longer than 9 days there. It was an amazing experience!

Máximo Nivel (Maximum Level)—The Intercultural Center of Latin America

Máximo Nivel is a family-owned, social enterprise founded in 2003. Our three intercultural centers are locally-based organizations focused on international education and cross-cultural experiences. Our programs include: Volunteer Abroad, International Internships, TEFL Certification, and Spanish Language Immersion in three countries — Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Peru.

Our programs are internationally accredited and are recognized worldwide. Our success is based on our commitment to quality and the highest level of client service. We have an excellent, professional staff and great home-base facilities to ensure your overall experience with us is nothing short of excellent!

Community Photos: