VAW Medical Outreach

VAW Medical Outreach

VAW - Medical Outreach provides volunteers with an opportunity to shadow medical professionals and work side by side with experienced doctors. Volunteers will accumulate medicines prior to the trip to the host country. While in country, volunteers will shadow and assist the doctors, perform triage, measure vital statistics, manage the pharmacy and teach public health classes, all under the direct supervision of experienced, local doctors.

This is an intensive internship, valuable to future nurses, physicians, dental assistants, dentists, public health majors, and anyone who is interested in gaining experience working in the medical field or internationally. The internship is focused on giving interns a variety of hands-on experiences in treating patients, deepening their understanding of the medical field and broadening their understanding of global health.

Asia » Philippines
South America » Peru
North America » Panama
North America » Guatemala
North America » Dominican Republic
Project Types
Guesthouse
Hotel
Program fees cover all housing, food, medical and non-medical staff and in-country transportation. Interns pay for their plane tickets, spending money and fun travel.

Nathalie
Stony Brook, Long Island, New York
Stony Brook University

An amazing and unforgettable trip

Many of us don't realize how even the smallest thing can make someone's day. I traveled with VAW in the spring of 2014 to Panama and was left amazed by what I experienced. We traveled to about 6 different islands and set up mobile clinics to offer health services to those who are unable to afford it. We saw over 100 patients a day, with the majority being children and seeing the smiles that spread across their face when we said we had the medicine they needed was a feeling that nothing will ever overcome. Even when we ran out, they still thanked us for even trying as best as we could. It's great knowing that your effort and time is really appreciated, but it's even better knowing that you are doing some good in the world. To anyone interested, don't let the opportunity go. It is an experience that is truly unforgettable and one that you will forever remember.

B
California State University- Sacramento

An amazing experience I will never forget

This past summer I was fortunate enough to be able to join the Volunteers Around the World team from CSUS on a medical outreach journey in Panama. We attended clinic in the morning through afternoon for the majority of our trip and after it was over we were able to have free time to do what we would like. Going to a new location for clinic each morning was so much fun and eye opening for me despite the conditions we had to endure such as heavy rain and walking through slippery mud. We shadowed doctors, learned of medications and its purposes, learned to take blood pressure and blood glucose manually, and even picked up on some Spanish during this trip. It was a great feeling knowing that a group of average people like us could make such a difference just by talking to the patients and dispensing to them what we might think of as easily attainable drug store medications. However, it is not attainable to many of the patients we had seen due to the expense of receiving medical attention and having to literally commute across the ocean to get to a hospital. All in all, I highly recommend this program.

David
Los Angeles
University of Southern California

Once in a lifetime experience

VAW is more than just a volunteer trip. It's going out there and seeing the underdeveloped world for what it really is. I visited the impoverished population of San Pedro La Laguna in Guatemala and for two weeks I was able to make a difference. VAW does a great job helping you and your team set up medical clinics with doctors from Guatemala in various towns around your area. I was able to shadow the doctors and see pathologies that don't usually exist in the US. And I learned so much about meds because one part of the clinic is a pharmacy and you are given a prescription by the doctor to fill for the patient--so you learn a lot about the different types of drugs and what they're used for. And on top of that, you're given the opportunity to learn how to use real sphygmomanometers and stethoscopes to take blood pressure of patients and other vital signs. VAW medical clinics are really hands on and open your eyes to a world outside the US. I have to say that this is by far the best experience I've ever had in my life and it has really gotten me interested in working as a doctor in global health.

And another great thing--after the days of clinics are over, you are given days to travel around with your team to amazing locations wherever you go. I visited Guatemala so I was able to go to the Mayan Ruins at Tikal, zipline through the rainforest, and best of all, water rafting and cave diving in Semuc Champey!!!

Volunteers Around the World (VAW) is an NGO (Non-Governmental Organization) devoted to improving the standard of living for those that live in some of the most poverty stricken communities of the world. Our focus is to provide communities with access to medical treatment, medication, nutritional