Volunteer with the homeless in London

Volunteer with the homeless in London

The Simon Community accepts full-time and part-time volunteers in London to help people who are living on the streets. The Simon Community creates an atmosphere of respect, community, responsibility, and support. Volunteers have the chance to work on outreach, support, finding transitional housing, deliveries, and work at the emergency night shelter.

Volunteers live in a house with other volunteers, staff, and the homeless while receiving a small living stipend. Volunteers must be able to work in groups, empathize with others, and be at least 19 years old. Check out the Simon Community website for more information on how you can help!

Europe » England » London
Europe » England

Hi Scarlette, according to the Simon Community website, "Though this is unpaid voluntary work, all living expenses (board, food, travel etc) are provided and all bills paid in Central London accommodation. Volunteers are entitled to time off away from the residential setting in a flat provided just for them. All you need to bring with you is your time and energy."

Carmen

Amazing learning expierence

I have never, and probably will never, meet a place like The Simon Community. I was a little nervous traveling from the US to the U.K at first but I'm glad I did. Throughout my time here I have learned a lot about homelessness and have really grown as a person. I am forver thankful and gratefully to have spent a couple of months at The Simon Community in London. The work can be stressful at times but self rewarding. They are always looking for volunteers and the staff is so amzing and friendly so don't be scared to email them.

Kari
St. Paul, MN
Indiana State University

The Simon Community

We provided street outreach and support to people living on the streets in London. We brought them to an emergency night shelter, and helped them to find transitional housing through one of the longer term houses available through the Simon Community. We lived in the shelter and among the homeless guests. It was communal living, and we received a modest stipend for basic living expenses. It was an incredible experience, and one that I will never forget!!

The Simon Community was started in 1963 to reach out to the homeless as a community-based alternative to institutionalized support systems. The Simon Community houses volunteers along with the homeless to create an equal community that works together to create services for the homeless of