Guatemala: In & Beyond the Classroom with Discover Corps

Discover the world of the Maya and its ancient traditions through its people. You will be based in the cultural mecca of Guatemala, Quetzeltenango, where you will have the opportunity to volunteer in an indigenous Maya primary school, developing learning materials to last the year. Stay in a restored Guatemalan home and enjoy local cuisine prepared each day.

When not engaging with the students, you will ride over the calm waters of Lake Atitlán, considered sacred by the Maya, dive into Guatemala's rich culture by learning how to make colorful indigenous textiles and visiting the galleries of Antigue, visit an artisan market in Chichicastenango- the largest in the hemisphere, and even participate in a mock wedding ceremony!

Your Purpose: We're working alongside a Maya community that is traditionally discriminated against in Guatemala. Our purpose is to support the education of the students by developing (and leaving behind) learning materials that reinforce the teachers' lessons.

• Volunteer at a Maya school to improve the education of local Maya students
  • Journey across sacred Lake Atitlan, considered sacred by the Maya
  • Shop at an artisan market in Chichicastenango- the largest in the Western Hemisphere
  • Explore the boutiques, galleries and cafes of colonial Antigua
  • Stay in a restored Guatemalan home and enjoy local cuisine prepared each day.

Leah

Guatemala - Trip with a Purpose

My trip to Guatemala through Discover Corps was incredibly inspiring, while still being very comfortable. Discover Corps plans all of the logistics needed for safe and fun travel. I was looking for a trip that would have a purpose. Something that wasn't touristy, but that really gave me a feel for a new culture. This trip was that and so much more. While all different, the other groups members and I all got a long really well. Lasting memories and friendships.

Sharon

Volunteer and Explore

I really liked the pacing of this program. We volunteered in the morning. In this case, we were painting at a local school. In the afternoon, we went on different outings, including a hot spring and interesting local towns, like San Andres Xecul. We had speakers or additional outings in the evening. Program participants are all different ages. Home base is a private home in an urban area. There are brief hotel stays on both ends of the trip. I especially enjoyed seeing the city of Antigua. The guide, Tara, is nothing short of miraculous. I was happy, safe, and comfortable throughout my stay, and I learned a great deal about Guatemala. In terms of difficulties, due to weather conditions, I missed my connecting flight from Panama to Guatemala and arrived a day late. I used the Discover Corps emergency number and quickly received a call back. On arrival, I was immediately picked up by one of the guides, Orlando, and my trip proceeded without incident. I definitely plan to travel with Discover Corps again.

About Discover Corps

Discover Corps is a new way to travel. Our authentic, off the beaten track itineraries plug travelers into the daily lives of local people.

Our team of local Program Hosts gives you unparalleled access to the lives of people and the stories of...