COVID-19 Program Updates
Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Discover Corps has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.
Discover the world of the Maya and its ancient traditions through its people. You will be based in the cultural mecca of Guatemala, Quetzeltenango, where you will have the opportunity to volunteer in an indigenous Maya primary school, developing learning materials to last the year. Stay in a restored Guatemalan home and enjoy local cuisine prepared each day.
When not engaging with the students, you will ride over the calm waters of Lake Atitlán, considered sacred by the Maya, dive into Guatemala's rich culture by learning how to make colorful indigenous textiles and visiting the galleries of Antigue, visit an artisan market in Chichicastenango- the largest in the hemisphere, and even participate in a mock wedding ceremony!
Your Purpose: We're working alongside a Maya community that is traditionally discriminated against in Guatemala. Our purpose is to support the education of the students by developing (and leaving behind) learning materials that reinforce the teachers' lessons.
- Volunteer at a Maya school to improve the education of local Maya students
- Journey across sacred Lake Atitlan, considered sacred by the Maya
- Shop at an artisan market in Chichicastenango- the largest in the Western Hemisphere
- Explore the boutiques, galleries and cafes of colonial Antigua
- Stay in a restored Guatemalan home and enjoy local cuisine prepared each day.