Eco-Lodge / Ranch & Conservation Project

Age
18 - 50 years
3 travelers are looking at this program

About This Program

Travel and join us at our Karanambu Eco-Lodge/ Ranch and Conservation project located in the North Rupununi, a region of South-Western Guyana known for its expansive wetlands and savannahs! Become a volunteer now and work with our fantastic team as we continue to develop one of Guyana’s premier Eco-Lodges. In Karanambu, you will create bonds that go beyond friendship while having the opportunity to share and develop skills in the areas of tourism, hospitality, conservation, ranching, construction, and carpentry.

At Karanambu, we are always so eager to share the experience of the untouched natural beauty in this remote corner of South America. Volunteers can expect to work within all the fields offered at this project, though some of these may overlap due to the specific needs of the different components that make up Karanambu. There are also opportunities to visit and do outreach work in the neighboring Macusi villages of Kwaimatta, Yupukari, Massara, Toka and Simuni.

Most times volunteers have to prepare their breakfast. Because it’s an eco-lodge/ranch and conservation set up everyday tasks varies. Sometime its strictly ranch work, or conservation or dealing with guests. A typical day would be Breakfast, work(guest/ranch-cattle/horses, conservation-collecting data etc.) or volunteers can be called to do simple tasks around like helping in the garden, cleaning up, going fishing for supplies, of course this will be with staff. Again it depends. As volunteers at Karanambu you will have some of the following responsibilities:

• Gardening Helping prepare meals
• Helping to fish for food
• Assisting with general maintenance of the lodge/ranch outstation and Gardening
• Working with horses, cattle on the ranch outstation
• Feeding and keeping resident wildlife company
• Helping with tourists/guests. Any other jobs that need doing

What's Included
Activities
Airport Transfers
Domestic Airfare
Meals
Transportation
Wifi

3 Meals a day is provided. Meals will be prepared by the kitchen staff at the Lodge and sometime with you may be asked to help. Drinking water, coffee and tea are available throughout the day. You may also purchase sodas and beer from the ranch store. Breakfast would usually consist of boiled fish or beef along with bread and condiments. Lunch is usually meat (fish, chicken or beef) with rice, noodles and farine(Cassava product). Dinner is usually similar. The meats on the Lodge are often supplemented with wild meat, as it is seasonally available. If you feel the need to eat something else other than what they provide, you can always stock up on the foods/groceries you need when the Lodge vehicle is going to Lethem or Annai. Volunteers will dine with the Lodge staff in the staff kitchen and may sometimes be invited to dinner with the guests of the Lodge.

As a volunteer you will have to share room or a cabin where researchers would usually.

Volunteers contribute to the everyday operation of the project. They help to conserve the environment through the conservation project (keeping track of wildlife in and around the area etc.), eco-tourism (assisting and learning about eco-friendly actions while on tours with guests) and living a sustainable lifestyle by contributing to the ranching aspect of the project. Volunteers also provide economic incentive to local people. Both parties benefit as they learn from each other.

Hosted by Fronteering

Fronteering specializes in arranging unique volunteer experiences in places less visited and unspoiled. Our volunteer projects take place in some of the last frontiers and wildernesses of this world:

From the Canadian Artctic where you get the...

Availability

Eight Weeks
$2495 USD

Francios

Volunteering in Guyana

I was first slight nervous about this programme as I am not so young any more as some other volunteers that join these programmes. I am from Spain and always loved South America and had been to most countries there. I always heard about this hidden gem called Guyana but did not know much about this place so I knew I had to go see it for myself.

After some search I came across some interesting volunteering programmes from Fronteering and I know that was the way I wanted to go.

In short Guyana was amazing and I can recommend it to anyone. Whether young or old. The programme was well organized and it was a great cause to help with sustainable eco tourism and to help out the Amerindian people.

Go see it now before I all changes!

I will be back!

Jackson

Guyana Amerindian community

My Volunteer experience at the Amerindian community eco lodge exceeded all of my expectations. Having spent time living and traveling in diverse places all over the world, I must say that the interior of Guyana offers a once in a lifetime opportunity for a truly raw experience. In addition to the wonderful landscape and wildlife, it was amazing working in conjunction with members of the Village in their efforts to preserve the nature and wildlife. I will never forget my time in Guyanaand recommend a volunteering opportunity to everyone!

And For anyone who is nervous about going to such a off the beaten path country... Don't be! Fronteering literally is by your side all the way from the moment you set foot in Georgetown Int. Airport until the moment you leave. They even take you out for drinks and dinner in the evening in Georgetown which was nice to see as well.

No comment. All the Fronteering staff was great and very hands on and they spent a lot of time guiding me at the project.

FAQ

We will provide you with the relevant documentation and instructions to follow, after you apply and submit the docs to us we will then forward all the docs to the project for review for which we will receive your confirmation of placement within a period of 2 weeks.
After we receive your documents, it will then take within a period of 2 weeks to confirm your placement. This all depends on the work load of the project. At times you may get confirmed the same day you apply!
It may take you to a screen where you can compose a message to send to us here at Fronteering!
After applying, we will then proceed to getting you placed. All your documents will be reviewed by the project themselves to see if you are eligible to participate and as soon as as they confirm, they will send us you letter of confirmation. We will then send you this letter along with an invoice for you to pay. (You have one week after being confirmed to cancel your placement for after that week,...