Top Volunteer Projects in Israel

Top Volunteer Projects in Israel

Volunteer in Israel and see how you can make a difference! GoEco was created by experienced volunteers for people who are eager to travel and contribute to the community, wildlife and environment they visit. Join us in Israel for a wide variety of programs!

• Creating Safe Spaces for At-Risk Youth: Volunteer at a local school for at-risk youth and teach them the responsibility of horticultural methods.
  • Mountain Eco Lodge: Explore the beautiful northern region of Israel while learning the process of bio-farming and work alongside local carpenters and farmers to build sustainable buildings.
  • Desert Eco Building: Learn how to build cabins, benches, sitting areas and so much more all using environmentally friendly building materials in this rewarding experience to the Israeli desert.
  • Coral Reef Conservation: Join this project and become an integral part of the conservation effort to preserve the beautiful coral reefs of the Red Sea and Eilat beaches.
  • Desert Alpaca Farm: Volunteer at this project that directly combines agriculture and tourism for a fun and exciting experience by helping take care of the animals and guests on the farm.
  • Desert Wildlife Program: Learn about the diverse species that live in the beautiful Arava desert by assisting local wildlife authorities in repopulating the nature reserve.
  • Social Food Program in Tel Aviv: Join this project for an enriching experience that collects, organizes and distributes food and household supplies to the underprivileged in the Tel Aviv-Jaffa region.
  • Vegan Bakery Internship: Learn how to make healthy, delicious vegan pastries and desserts from an experienced vegan pastry chef while enjoying the vibrant city of Tel Aviv.
Asia » Israel
The program includes 3 meals per day, accommodations, pre-departure kit, comprehensive travel health insurance, local in-country staff and 24 hour emergency support. Please see the project details on our website for a complete list of what is and isn't included.

Thanks. I'll send this to my friend. Where in Jerusalem was this greenhouse?

Annika
London
University of Chester

The Best Thing I've Ever Done

When I first decided I wanted to volunteer, I searched so many websites and eventually I came by GoEco’s website. I read so many positive experiences, I thought to myself, this has to be something that I do! I have never really liked Christmas in the UK, so I thought Israel would be the perfect place to go, as Christmas isn’t really celebrated. I made the most PERFECT decision. I then decided which project I wanted to do, working with animals was at the top of my list. So, without any hesitation I confirmed my place on the website. I had all of the details within a week, the office in Israel are so quick at replying, and really look after every volunteer who books through them.
The time came, the flights were super cheap. I paid around £120 return from London with EasyJet to Tel Aviv. Day 1 of the 3 weeks experience was just the start of what was to come, it was awesome. We met Yan, a Coordinator for GoEco, and he took us around Jerusalem for the day. I felt that it was important to spend the day doing this, as we learnt so much about the country, the culture, and also told what the next few weeks would entail.
The next day, Yan took us to the bus station and we got on the 4 hour bus journey to the desert. We got off at the bus stop and one of the rangers picked us up. My first impressions were exactly how I expected, in the middle of no where, perfect. We were taken to the volunteers house, which is just so lovely. 2 bedrooms, a nice bathroom, a HUGE living room with a smart TV and a computer, a well equipped kitchen, and a washing machine outside. There’s also a fire outside which was great at night time. The volunteers house is in between two of the rangers houses, so there was always someone around, and they are very sociable. It’s also at the very end of the safari, so the Ostriches are literally a stones throw away, you can hear them making their calls in the night quite clearly. Night fell on the first evening there, I remember walking outside and looking up at the sky and being speechless. When you live in a big city like London, its not very often that you see stars, let alone shooting stars and the line of the Milkyway! It’s breath taking. After star gazing was over, we lit a fire, and sat under the stars for the rest of the evening and got to know each other.
6am wake up…. For a 7am start. That was a bit of a shock to the system, I’m usually quite lazy in the morning! A ranger picked us up in a truck, and we rode through the safari to the office to start our first day of work. We met all of the rangers, who each are so individual, lovely and unique its hard to explain, but you will see for yourself when you book this experience. Quickly we learnt what we were to do for the next few weeks! Basically, every morning we would prepare food to feed the animals in the rehabilitation centre. We would first clean the toilets that the public use (they visit the safari only), this was one of my favourite jobs, which I’m sure the rangers appreciated. Then we would go into each cage, apart from a few dangerous animals only professionals can enter, such as leopards, the wolf, and the hyena. We would clean the floor, change the water, and give them food. Some animals are fed at night time, so if you stay for a few more hours each day, you get to do this too. I found I got more out of the project by working 7am until 4pm every day rather than the 7-2pm which is required. I LOVE the animals there. On the reserve there are White Oryx, Ostrich, Addex, and two types of donkey. And in the rehabilitation centre there are wild cats, caracal, a wolf, tortoises, a hyena, parrots, owls, raptures, leopards, jackal (love them), and many others. Other duties included, preparing new enclosures, counting the Gazelle, measuring trees, painting, and feeding the safari animals. One day I got to spend the whole day with the vet and learn about his job, and another day I made toys for the cats. Every day was different!
Work would be Sunday to Thursday and the rest of the time was free time to do whatever you like. You have to bear in mind that the nearest bus stop is a 40 minute walk, but the trick is to just makes friends with the rangers and they will take you where you need to go (and it’s always nice to bring them back something sweet in return!). On my first weekend, I decided to take a trip to Jordan through a local tour company in Eilat. It cost in total around $500, which included everything! Including Visas. I was so glad I did it. I spent 2 days in Petra and 1 in Wadi Rum. I also took a day off from the reserve which they were totally fine with. Waking up in Wadi Rum on Christmas morning was a totally unique experience.
The second weekend was quite chilled out. Me and one of the other girls went to Eilat, we went to the camel ranch, lay on the beach, went out for New Years Eve, and we also visited the Coral Reef which also has volunteers and we made some new friends there as we snorkelled in the Red Sea! We also swam with wild dolphins, which really made me want to learn to dive, which I did the next weekend!
At night times we would sit around the fire, cook food on the fire or in the oven, watch music videos, or generally just talk! One thing that’s changed me since doing this experience is that I now don’t feel like I need much. I’m less materialistic than I was before. I think being in an environment in the middle of nowhere does that to you, it makes you appreciate what you have, and it also allows you to listen to other people more. The rangers were so lovely, I cooked a BBQ for them on my last day as a thank you. The girls I was volunteering with were great, we had such a good time, and if I could rewind and do it all again, I wouldn’t change a thing, it was perfect. I made some amazing friends, people that I will keep in touch with forever. I don’t even feel that this blog explains just how amazing this experience was, and I could probably stand up for a few hours and talk about it! I loved Israel that much I stayed in the country for an extra 2 weeks, and explored from the south all the way up the Golan Heights.
In general, I feel a much better person, and I’ve learnt a real value in life (I also now get up a lot earlier in the mornings!) It’s the best thing I’ve done with my life and I have a totally different perspective now! I can’t wait to go back.

It's perfect!

Valerie
Crewe Cheshire, Endland

See you soon!!

From the minute I arrived at the Abraham Hostel any fear I had disappeared. I arrived at 01.30 in the morning and the lady was so helpful and all my bookings were correct as I had changed details a few times. Next morning our GoEco team leader was great and took care of us, Because of the recent troubles, instead of having to make our own way to the projects he took us all personally. The orientation day was great and we had time to get to know others in the group and was very informative and interesting. The team leader was available all the time and sorted out any problems, always with a smile.
During my time on the social food programme I learnt a lot about myself and was challenged about a lot of my thinking on certain issues.
The team straight away made me feel accepted and valued. I thought I was going to give of my time and help but received so much back.
It was humbling when we delivered the food parcels to the older people and wonderful to see how the gentleman from the programme interacted with the them. Each person was so lovely and I received lots of hugs.
Something happened that was very personal, may not seem much to others but it was a special moment for me.
A party was held by the institute for the older people and we were invited to go. There was a poet and a man who sang and played the keyboard. I noticed in the audience 2 ladies, when they saw each other from across the room they waved and made there way to each other. They hugged each other and held each others hands and chatted and laughed. It was nice to watch especially for me as my own mother died earlier in the year and these 2 ladies just looked like my mum and her best friend, the way they greeted each other and looked in their appearance. It made me smile and tearful at the same time. I phoned my mums friend's daughter and told her straight away.
I made friends with 2 other girls, one I shared a room with and one who was on the same project. We became very close and are meeting up in Germany in January.
From start to finish it was a great experience.

To do more when in the warehouse.

Casey
Williamsburg, Pennsylvania
Lee University

Tel Aviv Refugee Health Clinic

I was able to volunteer at the refugee health clinic in Tel Aviv. The clinic staff was so welcoming when I first arrived, and I learned so much in my short time there. It has benefited my career in the health field. I was able to learn and shadow doctors, while also learning how to communicate with other cultures. This was a chance in a lifetime that I will be forever grateful for!

This program could be improved by giving more information about the clinic and what the person is doing during orientation.

Naomi
France

A program that made me love Israel and the desert

This program was truly amazing. Not only because I worked with animals, but also because of the amazing landscape I lived in, the beauty of the desert, but also the atmosphere... I met a lot of people from all around the world and so different culture (Americans, Europeens, Asians..) and I met Israel through the people who worked in the reserve. I think the best way to really know a country is to meet the population. This experience really changed me.

I just didn't really understood what the 500 dollars were for (the accomodation was free as we volunteered, we paid for food, the tour in Jerusalem was free...)

Marcia
I live in Brazil, in the State of São Paulo, in the city of Vinhedo.

I wanted to know the Israeli life

As a tourist, you have chance to see nice places. What about the real life Israeli lead? This program helped me with that.
I learned about it. And I saw a different aspect of it, while working. And I simply loved my work! The contact with those kids, their comments on life, the eventually nice song that played every single day and became boring, boring! It was just fun, top to bottom.
The person in charge, Doron, is probably the most gentle person in Israel. And the project manager is very witty and funny. I love intelligent people.
The work is light, really light. Except for the long hours standing. But because I wanted to. I could sit down. But I didn't want to waste time. I wanted to work. So many vases to prepare, to plant the 'starters,' to clean dead leaves and parts. Just that. Not much thinking required.
It's indeed a very nice program. Light work, nice people, wonderful environment, because of the contact with nature.
And the representative of Go Eco who assisted us - and me, specifically, one day - was a wonderful person.
Honestly, I thank you, guys. I didn't have expectations. I wanted to learn about whatever lied ahead. And it was a fantastic experience.

A little more orientation on accomodations. I didn't want the indicated hostel. And the other place was not satisfactory, not because of the place itself, but because of one guest who uses to stay there for long periods, every year, and now thinks she owns the place. And she's very rude.
This meant to me that I had to change accomodations - and was relocated to a place very far from my place of work. It would take me an hour by bus, sometimes, to get there.
I think that, for a foreigner, who doesn't know the city, GoEco should help more in this aspect.

Lucile
Annecy, FRANCE

Amazing experience

I worked on the natural reserve of Hai Bar on the Negev desert on the south of Israel.
We worked on the morning with the animals ( feeding, cleaning cages...) and on the afternoon we did differents things like cleaning the camping area, odd jobs and feeding the predators on the evening.
It was really an amazing experience to work with wild animals and with lovely and passionates people.

Steph
Norwich, UK
University of East Anglia

Mountain EcoLodge with Go Eco

GoEco itself have a very good customer service and support. They answer any email and respond almost immediately.
The program started off with 2 days in Jerusalem where we had a tour of the city and different markets.
In terms of the project at the lodge, I stayed for 3 weeks at the mountain eco lodge. I was worried about getting there at first, however the trusty field coordinator Yan helped me and gave me a guide with all of the information necessary as well as providing a local cellphone incase. There were many activities to be done, such as watering the plants, planting, learning about the plants and gardening. You can also learn about how the lodge attempts to be a sustainable establishment.
The lodge also have a camp site, where people come from all over the country to camp for a few days and look over the beautiful views of the mountains. At the camp site, there is work that can be done also, such as making sure that everything works smoothly there: making sure it is clean (bathrooms, showers, bins) and accommodating and assisting guests with anything they may need help with.
You can also help make food for the guests if you wish!
There is also an orchard, that was unfortunately not blooming when I was there, but I was told that past volunteers were able to pick all of the cherries.
I was able to chose what I wanted to do and if I was being asked to do something that I felt uncomfortable with, I simply voiced my feelings and I did something else.
What I loved best was the fact that I was able to be in touch with nature and far away from a big city. As I was able to be quite independent, especially since I was the only volunteer there at the time. (Many people cancelled due to the conflict.) I also loved that I got to cook myself and used so many local vegetables and fruits.
In addition, I also got to visit the Nimrod Fortress and visit the neighbouring Druze communities.

Perhaps the fact that the structure wasn't quite clear or consistent for each day. However I liked this but for others this may be seen as something negative.

GoEco is a leading eco-tourism company with a varied selection of affordable volunteer projects abroad. We act as a gateway to over 150 extraordinary community, wildlife and environmental initiatives all over the world thanks to our great partnerships. Join one of our rewarding projects and