SEED Madagascar | Teach English in Madagascar

Teach English and help provide people in south east Madagascar with the skills required to find employment and break the poverty cycle. This teaching programme is run by a respected NGO based in the stunning Anosy region in south east Madagascar.

For all teaching positions over 3 weeks volunteers must be TEFL-qualified (discounts are available through the NGO). Programmes of six months or longer require no donation, but all expenses are paid for by volunteers, including travel, insurance, food and accommodation. Volunteers will normally be hosted by a local Malagasy family in a home stay arrangement. It's a great opportunity to get to know the culture of Madagascar and really immerse yourself in life here, giving you a well-rounded Malagasy experience!

Activities, depending on your experience, include: school teaching or classroom support (class sizes of between 40-70), adult English lessons; bespoke digital resource creation and teacher training.

While we couldn't find an age minimum, you need to have experience working in a classroom setting - hope that helps!

Malcolm

Teaching English in Fort Dauphin

I spent 2 weeks working with SEED in Fort-Dauphin and in Sainte-Luce. I stayed with a SEED employee and her family and felt very welcome and well looked after. The accommodation was simple, but clean and comfortable and with a fantastic view. Not some isolated hotel - this was in among the sounds and sights of everyday Madagascar.
The teaching programme gave me a wide range of experiences - all very positive. I worked with Malagasy employees of SEED, with local administrators, business people and local people working on other SEED projects. It was the school holidays so I didn't get the chance to visit a school, which I would have liked to do.
The education programme staff were brilliant - very organised, offering support when I needed it, but allowing me independence to plan my own lessons as well. They worked hard to show me the range of different teaching environments they are working in.
I met lots of the conservation volunteers as well while staying in the bush, and was able to take part in expeditions collecting scientific data, including a nighttime crocodile hunt in pirogues.
The whole two weeks was a fantastic experience that has left me longing to return.
Thank you SEED!

Jo

Inspiring students and an inspiring experience

As a slightly older volunteer (43!) I wanted a teaching role for six weeks to ‘recalibrate’ from the work routine and the teaching English project was exactly what I needed; with the right combination of challenge and travel. It was huge fun to go in to such different teaching environment from classes of 75 smiling students to the local dedicated NGO staff, everyone was so engaged in the learning the language. I hope they will remember their English lessons, especially our tongue twister challenges! I’ve come back energised by the people and the place and I wouldn't hesitate to go back for another project.

The English programme team were really supportive and I had all the information I needed before I arrived.

About SEED Madagascar

SEED Madagascar is an award-winning UK registered charity and Malagasy NGO dedicated to supporting the people and ecosystems of Madagascar, one of the most biologically rich but economically poor countries in the world. Our approach is one of co...