Notre Dame Mission Volunteer Program in Nigeria

Our newest site is in Nigeria in West Africa. Volunteers live with the Sisters of Notre Dame in the city of Enugu and serve at the Notre Dame School. Enugu is the capital city of the Enugu State and has about two million inhabitants, ranging from very rich to very poor.

Education is the top priority for the Sisters of Notre Dame in Nigeria, so volunteers are primarily needed in the schools. At the school, volunteers may serve as teachers' aides, tutor individual students, help with typing, filing, and other administrative work, read to children in the library, or teach their own classes. In addition to working in the school, volunteers may also work with the Sisters at the Justice and Development Program Commission or at a health clinic.

KatieMTO

The best decision of my life

I spent two years volunteering in Africa with NDMV and it was by far the best decision of my life. I worked in schools doing a wide variety of things, everything from teaching classes and tutoring after school to helping in the school office and working on the school farm. Sometimes we had access to electricity and running water, sometimes we roughed it. I may have gone without a few creature comforts but the way the community embraced me made it all worth it. Nigerians are very welcoming and fun to be with.

This program is not about being a tourist. (I did not see a single zebra, giraffe, or elephant in Nigeria.) This program is about living in solidarity with the people and using education to empower people. My work was very meaningful and I looked forward to each new day. I loved volunteering with NDMV in Nigeria.