Supplemental Education Programs in Peru

Supplemental Education Programs in Peru

By Unearth the World   Reviews (2)   95% Rating

Unearth the World (UTW) has partnered with a nonprofit in Peru that works with women, children and teens to offer a wide array of supplemental educational programs. This project addresses the issue of poor education in Peru and works to improve the availability and quality of education offered by offering free classes and workshops to the women and children in the community.

Volunteers at this project engage in a variety of things including teaching English, Math, Science or Art and actively participate in growing the new Youth Center. When volunteers are not in the classroom teaching, they are reading and playing sports and games with the students. Spanish is not required for all opportunities but working within the community with locals offers a fantastic opportunity for both Spanish and cultural immersion.

South America » Peru » Lima
South America » Peru
$0.00/week
Cost Description
At Unearth the World, we pride ourselves on being financially transparent so the volunteer can understand exactly where their money is going. You are never paying to volunteer. Rather, your fees go towards your pre and post-trip training, 3 meals/day, airport pickup and accommodations. You will also be asked to pay a one-time $495 application fee.

Project Fees: For this Peru project, fees start at $200/week for 3 meals/day, accommodations and airport pick-up.

Rating Values

Haley
New York, NY
Indiana University- Bloomington

Unbelievable Program in Peru!

My time volunteering with LLI through Unearth The World was nothing short of an unbelievable and eye opening experience! Unearth The World did a great job preparing me as best as they could with what I was going to expect from the program in Peru. When I arrived, the Volunteer Coordinator picked me up in a taxi and took me to the program, while explaining more about the program and the other people living in the house. I felt adjusted right away even though I was completely out of my ordinary, daily life. I have never worked with children that were more appreciative or had a stronger desire to learn than the children at LLI. I volunteered there for a month and taught English to two classes. I had never taught English before but they did a great job training me on how to write lesson plans and the other volunteers were a lot of help. I am still very close with most of the people that I lived with in the volunteer house and talk to them often! I highly recommend volunteering at LLI because Lara has created an amazing organization that will change you for the better :)

Kylee
Chicago, Illinois
Guilford College

Estefany & Michelle

Estefany and Michelle were my two students in one of my teen classes. They were both less than a year younger than me, so really we were best friends. Three weeks into me teaching them, they begged me not to forget them and to promise to come back. I was so confused, as I was going to be there for two more months. When the time came for me to go, we had created a relationship like no other I've ever shared. They had to take a test our last class together, and Michelle kept working on "homework". I kept telling her that she couldn't do that while taking her test. By the end of class I realized that her "homework" was actually poster for me giving their thanks and love. On Christmas Day, after being home for about 2 weeks, I got two audio messages from them, saying how much they loved and missed me. That was the only present I really needed. Those girls are so special and so beautiful, they will give you their heart, as long as you promise to do the same.

I would change the organization when a new volunteer arrives. The first morning I was there I didn't know where breakfast was or what was really going on. I felt the Volunteer Coordinator could've been more helpful and more detailed about how things work. It took me a few days to get the hang of things, and I felt like some of those things could have been better communicated.

Unearth the World is a social enterprise devoted to planning meaningful and transformative international exchange opportunities for students, professionals, groups and families. We prioritize social impact, financial transparency, and volunteer education.

Projects (from 1 week to 12 months in length) are currently available in Nicaragua,