By Unearth the World   Reviews (1)   90% Rating

Supplemental Education Programs in Peru

By Unearth the World   Reviews (1)   90% Rating

Unearth the World (UTW) has partnered with a nonprofit in Peru that works with women, children and teens to offer a wide array of supplemental educational programs. This project addresses the issue of poor education in Peru and works to improve the availability and quality of education offered by offering free classes and workshops to the women and children in the community.

Volunteers at this project engage in a variety of things including teaching English, Math, Science or Art and actively participate in growing the new Youth Center. When volunteers are not in the classroom teaching, they are reading and playing sports and games with the students. Spanish is not required for all opportunities but working within the community with locals offers a fantastic opportunity for both Spanish and cultural immersion.

South America › Peru › Lima
South America › Peru
Cost
At Unearth the World, we pride ourselves on being financially transparent so the volunteer can understand exactly where their money is going. You are never paying to volunteer. Rather your fees go towards your pre and post-trip training, 3 meals/day, airport pickup and accommodations. You will also be asked to pay a one-time $300 application fee.

Project Fees: For this Peru project, fees start at $200/week for 3 meals/day, accommodations and airport pick-up.
0.00

Rating Values

Kylee
Chicago, Illinois
Guilford College

Estefany & Michelle

Overall

Estefany and Michelle were my two students in one of my teen classes. They were both less than a year younger than me, so really we were best friends. Three weeks into me teaching them, they begged me not to forget them and to promise to come back. I was so confused, as I was going to be there for two more months. When the time came for me to go, we had created a relationship like no other I've ever shared. They had to take a test our last class together, and Michelle kept working on "homework". I kept telling her that she couldn't do that while taking her test. By the end of class I realized that her "homework" was actually poster for me giving their thanks and love. On Christmas Day, after being home for about 2 weeks, I got two audio messages from them, saying how much they loved and missed me. That was the only present I really needed. Those girls are so special and so beautiful, they will give you their heart, as long as you promise to do the same.

I would change the organization when a new volunteer arrives. The first morning I was there I didn't know where breakfast was or what was really going on. I felt the Volunteer Coordinator could've been more helpful and more detailed about how things work. It took me a few days to get the hang of things, and I felt like some of those things could have been better communicated.

Unearth the World is a social enterprise devoted to planning meaningful and transformative international exchange opportunities for students, professionals, groups and families. We prioritize social impact, financial transparency, and volunteer education.

Projects (from 1 week to 12 months in length) are currently available in Nicaragua, Peru, Mexico and Zambia. Whether you are interested in a one week solo trip or a longer group experience, Unearth the World is able to customize your trip so that you can utilize your skills, engage in authentic cultural exchange and experience the transformative power of travel.

Please visit our website (www.unearththeworld.com) for more information.