- Puerto Rico
- San Juan
View Other Details
Puerto Rico has a rich and long history. Today, the island is a blend of these cultures and historical contexts and is best learned about through day-to-day living, food, and music.
In this unique 10-week on-the-ground program, you'll take online classes at your home university, while living and working in the lively town of San Juan.
When you get to Puerto Rico, the Amizade site director will help you set up your social action placement and weekly service. You'll likely be with an organization that focuses on one of these themes:
After-school teaching and support activities
Non-profit Administration and Operations
Environmental Sustainability & Conservation
Community assessment (required to be fully bilingual)
The application deadline for the fall semester can be as late as August 1.
- Enjoy excursions to El Yunque and Old San Juan, a boat ride to Piñones, a nature reserve tour, a coffee tour in Ponce, a West coast day trip, and a Santurce mural tour.
- Gain Spanish fluency by working in Spanish-speaking communities.
- Engage in a minimum of 10 hours of volunteer service per week and do more if you want!
- Pick another ten-week block in the same or different country if you’re not ready to go home just yet!
- Combine online study with community service and everyday life in San Juan