Try TEFL Teaching in Spain!

Try TEFL Teaching in Spain!

Maybe you've recently completed a TEFL qualification and are now looking for real classroom experience to boost your confidence and add to your CV. Or maybe you are thinking about a move to Spain, but would like to check it out before you make any long-term commitments.
Perhaps you're simply a fantastic person who would like to help others less fortunate! Whatever your reasons, we would love to hear from you.

Our volunteers receive 20+ classroom hours each week; all lesson plans and class materials; regular observation and feedback sessions; 24 hour teacher support; centrally located accommodation (optional). The rest of the time they're out enjoying tapas, making new friends and enjoying the local bars and restaurants!

• Develop your teaching skills in a relaxed, professional environment
  • 20+ hours of teaching practice with real students
  • All lesson plans and class materials provided
  • Career development through observation and feedback
  • Accommodation (optional) for as little as 13€ per night
Europe » Spain » Valencia
Year Round
EUR
Weekly placement fee of 84 euros
Accommodation (optional) from 13 euros per night / 91 euros per week

Total fees, including accommodation = 175 euros per week

You don't get an allowance with My Tefl Experience, I don't know if usual to get one but it's a not for profit so I guess they have very limited funds.

Caterina
Pescara

New teacher? Go and start to teach with MyTEFLexperience

Where can I start?

From the first moment I decided to apply for this volunteer teaching position I understood I made the right choice !

I was a bit nervous the first day but Alyx (co-ordinator) and Paul (Director) introduced to me and the other new teachers how the school works. I liked the fact Paul provided the lesson plans and materials so in advanced for the rest of the week and literally was always available to help us and give suggestions .

Spanish students were friendly and polite and I had a lot of fun working with them.

I cannot forget Kevin (the Hospitality Manager) !! He was really helpful when I arrived and ready to give me information about the flat, nearby shops and of course Valencia!

These people do an amazing job, if you are a new teacher and you need to start with the right step go !!!!!

Natalie
Westcliff-on-sea

My Tefl Experience

Before coming to Valencia I had very little experience teaching English, so I was a bit apprehensive. Once I arrived at the Academy Alyx and Paul were very helpful as well as friendly and they made you feel welcomed. If you had any questions about your lesson plans, they would give you tips on how to approach it differently and they were around all the time in the school which was helpful. The lesson plans which were provided to you by Alyx and Paul in advance so you had sufficient time to plan them, they were easy to follow and I found them to be very detailed and thorough. Furthermore, the classes were very relaxed and the Spanish students were keen to learn English. My accommodation was great as I got to experience a new flat, which they only recently got. The location was ideal as it was walking distance to the school, as well as having good transport connections, also the flat was close to lots of supermarkets and not too far to the city centre. The teachers I lived with were friendly and helpful and made my stay very enjoyable. I would high recommend this experience as I have learnt so much within my three weeks of teaching, and I feel ready to continue teaching English.

Andy
Stratford-upon-Avon

One week just not long enough!

I decided to try this academy in Valencia as I have 2 brothers teaching in Asia and I decided I wanted to try my hand at teaching English as a foreign language.
With no previous teaching experience I was pretty nervous but after talking with Alyx and observing a class on the Monday, I felt positive ahead of teaching my first ever class. I've got to say, it was a brilliant experience. I got valuable feedback from Paul on how to improve my teaching. One week is simply not long enough though. I felt I just started to get into it before having to head home :( but I'll definitely be back and for much longer next time!
As for Valencia, it's a great city which is easy to navigate around. I really rate this programme and you're definitely in safe hands with Alyx and Paul.

Kam
london
University of Oxford

I had a really great experience

This was my first experience of teaching English so I was really nervous beforehand but I loved it. The students are really friendly (one offered to let me stay in her apartment next time I'm in Valencia) which really helped. That is a lot to do with the set up that MTE have. Both Paul and Alyx were very supportive and I got useful feedback on my teaching.

The teaching materials were easy to use so I could just jump right in. Valencia is also just a really cool city to wonder about in. I would definitely recommend it in future.

Some of the lesson plans tried to cram a bit more into the lesson than was really feasible.

Kat
Shrewsbury
University of Leeds

My TEFL Experience, When can I go back?!

If you're thinking about getting into TEFL, don't hesitate to book a week or two with Alyx and Paul.

Before the programme I was umming and aring about whether i'd have the confidence to manage a classroom and teach as a fulltime job. The academy provides the perfect environment for you to experience the day to day problems of an EFL teacher in a more relaxed environment, great for helping to build up confidence and for teaching newbies like me!

Despite being given lesson plans, Alyx and Paul are more than happy for you to alter these and adapt them to your own personal style if you wish, again the perfect balance for newbie teachers. The lesson plans are in depth and all necessary materials are provided, making you feel in control and prepared for every lesson - but if things do go wrong they're always on hand to help you out!

The academy itself is very modern, inviting and fresh, with a very professional feel. You will enjoy working!

The students at the academy are very appreciative and respectful towards you and everyone is eager to learn both English and about you! This makes teaching them even more enjoyable as there is a chance to really build a rapport and engage with them.

Academy aside, the apartment provided by Alyx and Paul is of a very high standard. Located on a central street within Valencia with good transport links including Metro and Bus, you are never far away from something to do. The rooms are spacious and the bathroom and kitchen are also well equipped for all your needs.

Valencia itself is an amazing city with a good mixture of old and new buildings, the old town is perfect for a lazy sunday morning walk or Colon is perfect if you're partial to a bit of shopping! The people are really friendly and most can speak a little English.

This is one of the best experiences I've ever had, I would recommend it to anyone and even want to come back myself!

Since the academy has moved the journey from the apartment to the academy can feel a bit of a drag. Especially when working the 18.15-20.15 shift.

At present the students are only split in to three levels, this can mean that you may have a varying level of students within each class (e.g. Absolute Beginner vs. Elementary). As a teacher you then have to adapt to try and cater to the needs of everyone in the class, which can be slightly overwhelming if you're a teaching newbie.

Having said that, I know that Alyx and Paul are looking in to providing more levels of classes which would definitely fix this problem and being able to adapt is definitely a good quality to have as a teacher!

Matt
Manchester, UK
University of East Anglia

An excellent experience.

I had a fantastic time living and teaching in Valencia, a great place to teach English.

The city is not as big or touristy as Madrid or Barcelona but it's large enough to be a happening place with lots of lively bars, sights to see and has its own distinctive character. Notably, there's a verdant river which snakes its way through the city where you can go for a bike ride, a relaxing walk or a look at the futuristic Calatrava buildings.

I taught at the school for one month and witnessed the transition to the new academy. The new school is a pleasure to work in: it's rather large, clean, spacious, has a fridge, proper amenities and it's kitted out with whiteboards, teaching materials and pens. Also the students love the new environment.

Alyx and Paul who run the school are very nice, professional and helpful. They provide you with the lesson plans a few days before teaching which gives you plenty of time to prepare. Alyx and Paul don't interfere with your lessons so it's very much up to you how you teach. I completed the CELTA course before coming to Valencia so I came equipped with all the worthwhile teaching techniques and tips so the independence I had at the academy really suited me.

Most of all, the best thing about the academy are the students. Every one of them was hard-working, very friendly and respectful. There's a diverse mix of ages, levels and nationalities which really adds to the experience. There are some funny characters who come to the classes which kept me entertained.

Furthermore, the accommodation is very good. I lived by the port which was fantastic as I was only 5-10 minutes away from the beach and not too far from the nearest metro stop which takes you directly to the school.

Also, the social scene in Valencia is pretty good with regular intercambio (language exchange) events which are held in different bars, cafes and clubs across the city. I recommend Tandem, a group which hosts such events. Details can be found on their Facebook page.

Thoroughly recommended for anyone who's completed a CELTA course and wants some short term work (and doesn't mind paying a reasonable amount).

Sometimes there wouldn't be enough students for one of my classes per week. This led to teachers having half a morning or half an afternoon off as there'd be too many teachers per student.

However I think this problem was largely due to the transition period the school was going through at the time. I'm sure more students will come to the academy because of the relocation as there's a much higher demand in the new area for valuable English lessons. In my final week I noticed lots of new faces at the academy.

The pens do sometimes run out very quickly which can be irksome, as another person has alluded to. But there are always about 5 pens in the pot to choose from so the chances are you will make it through a lesson. Also, top tip: the pen won't die out as fast if you put the lid on it when it's not in use.

Erwin
Netherlandss

Exactly what a beginning teacher needs!

3 years after doing my TEFL degree I was finally looking into getting started as a teacher. But I was not sure if I would enjoy it, let alone be any good at it which made applying a bit difficult.

Then I found Paul and Alyx's MyTEFLexperience and signed up for 2 weeks. It was everything a beginning teacher could hope for, Paul and Alyx are fantastic, (Ramón the dog as well, see photo) the teaching environment is great and the students nice and very eager to learn.

The program answered all my questions and on top of that I had a really nice time in Valencia and hope to be back soon!

Charlie
Andover, Hampshire, UK
University of Plymouth

My TEFL Experience = Great Experience!

My TEFL Experience in Valencia provided me with the taster I needed to confirm that TEFL is the career for me.
Arriving in Valencia on to a great warm welcome from Alyx and Paul I was shown around the accommodation, which is in a great location. After this I got my bus pass for the week, found out where the supermarkets were and headed down for an afternoon at the beach. Both the School and the beach are within walking distance and the bus systems is really easy to use.
Paul and Alyx provided me with the lesson plans in advance and answered all the questions that I had. So heading into my first lessons on the Monday I felt well prepared and excited to meet my students. The class sizes are perfect for a first teaching experience being no more than 8 people, plus it is a nice and relaxed atmosphere. All of the students. Are adults that are keen to learn and the lesson plan subjects make the lessons really fun!
The social scene in Valencia is great, particularly the low price of beer! Plenty of places to eat, plus Paul and Alyx have lots of good suggestions.
Great students, accommodation, atmosphere and hosts help provide you with the confidence to get the teaching experience you require after an online TEFL course.

More durable board markers.

Tracy
United Kingdom
University of Gloucestershire

A super way to try your newly acquired skills in a safe environment

The communication from the start was great. Directions and things like help with car hire etc all happily provided.

When we arrived the guys were there meet us - the accommodation was clean and roomy - the lady who lived there was so helpful with things like places to eat and drink, buses, things to see as well as advice around the teaching.

The lessons were planned but we could place our own spin on them if we wanted to and the guys were very open with feedback and accepting any ideas.

Socially Valencia was superb.

A great place, good guys and we left confident that we could indeed this!

Lesson planning - some days there were 4 sessions and this was too much for a newby.

Tom
Madrid, Spain
University of Leeds

Great experience

This is a really good option if you want to gain experience teaching small groups of adults in a relaxed and friendly environment. Having only taken my CELTA and taught children on a summer camp beforehand, I felt much more confident that I could teach adults after the week. I think the extra experience helped me get my current job in Madrid too. Alyx and Paul were very supportive and went out of their way to help us with the classes and with getting to know Valencia. Overall, I had a great time and would recommend it to all new teachers who want to practise before committing to a year-long contract somewhere.

Nelli
Moscow, Russia

It's more than just teaching

Going to the Academy, I didn't have particularly high goals, I just wanted to get my first experience of teaching English to foreigners. However, I got more than I expected, not only professionally. It was work, travel and adventure, all in one.
The students were very enthusiastic, it was pleasure working with them and teaching each other cultural specifics at the same time. Strong lesson plans, provided by Alyx and Paul, were of great help, you don't have to spend hours thinking the lessons through, it's been done for you. If you have some teaching experience you can easily adapt them to your style or to every group, or just follow the plan.
The location of both, the apartment and the academy, was very convenient to move around. Thanks to Alyx and Paul's tips, you always have options where to go and what to do, if Valencia (and Spain) is new to you. I'd definitely do it again!

Great that the length of the program varies now.

Jessica
Tonbridge, England

Exactly what I needed!

Before my week in Valencia I had never taught English as a foreign language and was very unsure of what I was doing. The organisers Alyx and Paul took time to introduce me to other expats who were teaching English in Valencia and it was great to hear their insights into life as teachers.The school itself is based in Alyx and Paul's apartment and they are both teachers so I felt reassured that I wasn't completely on my own. They gave some very good advice and the students were so enthusiastic that I quickly felt at ease. The classes were relaxed but I still felt in control as the students are adults and wanted to be there. I was given lesson plans to follow but could put my own spin on them. Alyx and Paul kept in touch with me throughout my visit and continue to do so now I'm back in England. The apartment that they provided was modern and there is a lovely lady called Bernadette who stays in the apartment and gives you plenty of maps of Valencia so you don't get lost! Overall the experience gave me a good insight into English language teaching and has encouraged me to apply for a Celta teaching qualification.

I would have stayed another week!

Philip
Preston, United Kingdom
University of Central Lancashire

Teaching as a volunteer in Valencia

I spent the first week in December working with Alyx and Paul at their school in the heart of Valencia. I taught two and a half days out of the five. I shared the teaching with another volunteer, Lisa. We worked well together. The group size was small between 3 and 7 in number. The adults were keen, attentive and responsive. The lesson plans were provided by Alyx and Paul subject to amendments at our discretion. The experience was positive for anyone keen to develop their teaching style. We had some fun moments and on two evenings additional contact was made with local Spaniards at the 'intercambio' held in a local bar.

The accommodation was adequate with a private room in a shared flat about 20 minutes by bus from the college.

More varied lesson plans.

Karen
Northampton
University of Northampton

Excellent experience

I completed my TEFL course in the UK, but wanted to gain more confidence and also skills in teaching EFL. The week volunteer teaching position sounded perfect. I felt it would be less pressure as it was a volunteer position.

It was organised from first applying and throughout the week I was there. The accommodation was good and a location great. Valencia is also a very cheap place to live.

I was very nervous about teaching and Alyx and Paul were there to reassure me and give hints and tips with each lesson plan. Just before my first class I was so nervous but Alyx and Paul reminded me that students are aware we are new teachers and that everything would be fine. After the first lesson I was elated that I had done it and I also really enjoyed it. The students were lovely and they even helped me places to visit and what restaurants to go to.

Those working at the school socialised in the evenings which was great fun. For those that are worried about going alone, you will be made to feel welcome as soon as you get there. I class it as an excellent experience I will never forget.

Jackie
Coventry, UK
Coventry University

A fantastic invitation to gain work experience while being supported by an excellent language school

My experience of taking part in the My TEFL experience far exceeded my expectations. The accommodation was amazing- clean, spacious and close to the beach. The other teachers were friendly and supportive, as were the owners of the school. I had been concerned that my lack of experience would be a problem but we were incredibly well supported. Lesson plans were suggested but we were encouraged to contribute and include our own ideas. We only had to work for a few hours a day but on two evenings there was the opportunity to meet local people and I was amazed to find that we were actually given free food and drinks for doing this. The organisers of the program only asked for a donation towards the cost of accommodation and I was happy to contribute. This is a really worthwhile experience, particularly for anyone who needs to gain confidence, as the support you receive is amazing and the students are very grateful. Valencia is a beautiful and safe place to explore and I really can't think of anything negative to include in this review. To anyone who is thinking about spending a week volunteering for this opportunity I would say, stop thinking and just do it.

This program suited me perfectly. I really can't think of anything that I would want changed.

Tom
Leicester, England
Open University

Teach English or do the same old thing!

Having completed my CELTA in Seville I wanted a taste of another Spanish city to identify :

Is this going to be as much fun teaching , as it had been learning ?

Will I have the confidence to move to Spain and teach new students , with the support level offered by this school ?

The answers were a resounding yes !

The accommodation,planning,transport and introductions were all professionally managed . This resulted in me improving my confidence and knowledge of these areas , and have re-assured me that this is the path I want to take for the future.

I am now planning to move to Valencia in the next month to find work , having had this great opportunity with "My TEFL Experience" .

The one area I would introduce is grading of the students English language abilities through some form of early assessment.

The students I taught had varying levels of ability and while this was fun to use those more experienced to mentor/support those who struggled , it did at times reduce the further development of those more able .

I would maintain the 8 week continuous learning strategy which the school has developed , together with the detailed lesson plans provided , but integrate the lesson plans with areas of "differentiation" which would allow this development of small groups of students.

Response from My TEFL Experience

Thanks Tom!

We have definitely taken your comments on board and are working on bringing in a new level, so that we can put our students into classes where everyone has the same level. It's all a learning curve, I guess!

Thanks for your feedback, and the photos - they're fantastic!

Hope to see you in 2015.

Best regards,
Alyx

NJC
Kent UK
Manchester Metropolitan University

My TEFL Experience - changing lives

A philanthropic educational programme where the students have a genuine desire to learn, where the staff couldn't be more supportive and where you know you will have made a difference. New teachers get a chance to put theory into practice and the students benefit from the diversity of teaching styles. Detailed lesson plans provided. A safe and welcoming home and teaching environment. Fantastic social programme. What's not to like? My only regret is that I wasn't able to stay longer.

More teaching hours - like seriously.

Response from My TEFL Experience

Thanks for your lovely comments NJC!

We're still working away, finding more students to teach every week. Any time you fancy another break in the sunshine, you know where we are!

Best regards,
Alyx

My TEFL Experience is a small, family-run company that sends volunteer TEFL teachers to Academia Solidaria - a non-profit language academy in the heart of Valencia, Spain.

Since September 2014 over 175 teachers have helped Academia Solidaria run English classes for Spanish students affected by