Elephant Care, Thailand

Elephant Care, Thailand

Elephants are in trouble in Thailand. Not only is the wild elephant population decreasing due to habitat loss and poaching, but domestic elephants are also in danger. Domestic elephants were used in the logging industry in Thailand, a practice that helped to destroy the very habitat the elephants relied upon. After this logging activity was banned, most of these elephants have ended up on the streets of big cities where they are forced to work as begging tools and tourist attractions or roam dangerously.

Life on the streets is very unhealthy for the elephants and quite dangerous – many elephants are involved in horrific traffic accidents each year. And the elephants have no laws to protect them from abuse or mistreatment. The mission of this elephant rescue centre is to stop the suffering of these creatures.

Our volunteers care for the physical but also mental well being of the elephants. Making sure they are fed, they get exercise, socialization and above all: love

Asia » Thailand
Airport pick up and drop off (at closest airport), Accommodation, Meals, On-site training, Donation to Placement Partner, AEI Travel Manual, Emergency support while at Placement, Carbon credits to offset 3 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions, Premium Individual Travel Insurance (up to $500, 000 USD in emergency medical coverage), Travel discounts (through automatic membership to a volunteer only travel discount program), 24/7 Travel and emergency assistance, when time and resources allow: volunteers will take part in a night safari to a National Park!

Brittney
Brighton, Ontario Canada

An Experience of a Lifetime!

I was very lucky to find Animal Experience International and took a leap of faith and went to Thailand to work with Asian Elephants. This was easily one of the best experiences of my life. I volunteered for two months, and made a great number of friends and an incredible amount of life experience. The centre was huge! It was right in the forest by a big lake; the scenery was stunning. The staff were very friendly and helped with any concerns you had the best they could. My mother was very worried about safety while travelling, but it was VERY SAFE! AEI set up a driver to pick me up from the airport and drop me off right at the centre. The grounds that I stayed on was protected and always had precautionary security. Working with the animals was incredible. I got to bathe, walk, and feed the elephants, clean their enclosures, and collect the elephants' food in big banana fields. Some lucky volunteers even got to swim with the elephants! I also got to work with primates and bears. While you're there you learn a lot about the exploitation of these animals and how you, as an individual, can stop this type of cruelty. The centre is a sanctuary for animals who have been abused and exploited so they can live out the rest of their lives free from harm. These animals get huge enclosures and are treated with the upmost respect and tenderness. I am very glad I got to volunteer in Thailand with AEI and I will remember this experience for the rest of my life.

Asia
Vancouver island, British Columbia, Canada

Extremely rewarding!!

Working with the elephants in Thailand was way more than I had imagined, they are such an amazing species, gentle giants who have feelings just like us. Unfortunately their numbers are dropping significantly for many reasons. The good news is AEI has this wonderfull volunteer program in which they set you up to head over to Thailand to work hands on with elephants at a rescue center in which they are living the rest of their lives in peace. When I first showed up to the center I was greeted by so many lovely people, I felt really welcome. I received a tour of the center which is huge. They have other animals from monkeys to bears also. A tipical day with the elephants begins in the early morning. They receive food 3-4 times a day which we prepare. We bath them, walk them and clean their fenced area. My favorite part was defintely giving them a bath because you could tell they loved it so much! Of course we would take breaks in the day to eat lunch and rest a bit. The food was so tasty, thai food is so flavourful! I would say what made the experience even better was meeting new people from all over. Learning about them & where they are from. And of course connecting with them because they are at the center for the exact same reason you are. To help the elephants ! If You want a fun & exciting experience while making a positive impact then this is what you need to do!! I will never forget my time in Thailand & the people I met. And most certainly
Won't forget the elephants. I feel honoured to have had the opportunity to work so close with them. It was truly life changing, & most certainly thankful for AEI's help at getting me ready for this trip! & I'm looking forward to my next :)

The only downfall I found on this trip was because they're were so many volunteers at the center working with elephants, at times there wasn't enough work for everyone. For example 1 elephant would have 5 volunteers, I think 3 volunteers per elephant would be a good number to
Keep us busier during the day.

We are a B Corp with a mission to change the world by matching clients with conservation and animal welfare related volunteer opportunities at sanctuaries, hospitals and research projects.

Our commitment is to change the lives of AEI clients AND to change the lives of