Volunteer Projects in the USA

Volunteer Projects in the USA

Volunteers For Peace is a non-profit organization, founded in 1982, that offers placement in over 3,000 voluntary service projects in more than 100 countries. Each year we provide almost 1,000 volunteers with invaluable opportunities to strengthen their ability to communicate in diverse groups, explore grassroots leadership opportunities, and build cultural understanding and connections around the world.

VFP offers service projects that arise from a grassroots, community based need for adults, teens, seniors, families and groups. Volunteers can choose between Short-Term Projects (Also known as Workcamps) where volunteers from 4 or more countries come together for a 2-3 week service project, or Individual Service Adventures & Gap Year Projects (Also known as Medium Term or Permanent Projects) involve working with VFP to create a personalized 2-week to 1-year experience.

North America » United States of America
VFP's placement fee is always $500 ($650 if you are under 18 years old) and must be paid at the time of registration. (If we can’t place you we refund the full fee!) Your registration covers placement, food, accommodation and work materials for your program. Volunteers arrange and pay for their own transportation to and from the project. Projects taking place in the developing world often require an additional fee in the range of $50-$500 payable to our partners upon arrival.

You can also check out their website! http://www.vfp.org/default.aspx

Annette
Worcester, Massachusetts
Connecticut College

Food from across the globe

During my time in Burlington, Vermont as a coleader for Volunteers for Peace, the ten volunteers and I created unbreakable bonds of friendship over dinners we shared together. Because the group was so diverse - 10 volunteers from 7 different countries - we made dinners together using recipes from across the globe. The sharing of cultures and customs while we prepared dinners together was incredibly unique, and it is an experience I will never forget. To this day I am still in contact with all 10 of my friends from this camp who are now back in their home countries. The sharing of food and culture together created such a strong bond between us that I know I have made 10 lifelong friends.

Anna
Burlington, Vermont
Champlain College

VFP

Volunteers for Peace was great. They helped me set up my service trip with VIN in Nepal to volunteer in Post Disaster Relief. I was really confused about a lot of things because I had never volunteered abroad before, but they helped me out so much by explaining things clearly to me and answering any question I had. Great group of people at VFP!

I did not volunteer directly with VFP, but volunteered with their sister organization VIN in Nepal.

Aleksey
11-56 Sorok let Pobedy, Krasnozavodsk, Moscow region, Russia

Sprout, [VFP01-11] NEW YORK, NEW YORK

Working with Sprout (New York, NY) was a wonderful experience. The work included accompanying groups of adults with disabilities in their trips from NYC to various destinations. The work was not difficult but required much responsibility. It included driving, dispensing medication, enhancing fun, supervising our participants. In between trips I stayed in the International Youth Hostel and had plenty of time to explore NYC. I would not exaggerate if I told that it was a time of my life. I cannot recall any difficulties or troubles whatsoever. I would highly recommend my friends to participate in this project and hope to do it again myself.

Molly
Vosges, France
Strasbourg University

Few weeks in NOLA

Rebuilding houses in New Orleans was just great ! We had different kind of works like painting (inside or outside the houses), gardening (to sell some food to the neighbourhood) or rebuilding houses. One of our most impressive work was on the roof of one of the most damaged house. The owner was there and it was really moving.
I only had some remarks to do about the safety. If you choose to come, you should not be afraid of using machines, tools or... walking on a roof !!
New Orleans is a great city to have fun. You can enjoy the jazz clubs every evening... I really had a great time there and advise everyone to try it !!

JC
Zürich, Switzerland

Go Sprout!

Sprout is a non profit organisation located in Manhatten NYC. A few dedicated people and a lot of volunteers from all over the world organize and lead vacation and day trips for people with disability.
After a two day training volunteers are sent out on the road with two coleaders and up to eleven clients with special needs.

The trips are demanding as you're on duty 24 hours a day. You and your coleaders have to plan and take care of activities, meals, transportation, medication, the budget and allways make sure that everyone has an awesome time. Even though all this is a lot of work it also is very rewarding: 1.the trips are a lot of fun and great if you're interested in seeing different citys of the USA. and 2. well the clients are endearing and totally hilarious. They get attached to you easily and so do you!

Definitely an amazing experience I wouldn't want to miss. The coleaders are awesome, new york is awesome the trips are awesome.

Maria
Barcelona, Spain
Pompeu Fabra University

VFP program in Concord, NH

It was a great experience. We felt very welcome by the comunity and it felt as if they were helping us and not the other way round.

The project with the Audobon Center was the most fullfiling since we got to work with he kids, the animals and the surroundings.

But that was not the only highlight of the project. During our stay we discovered some nice spots like lakes, rivers and nice hiking paths.

The community was extremely open to us and that made our stay very comfortable.

The social and evening program was very interesting and mixed.

claudia
Winterthur, Switzerland

sprout rocks!

I've worked 3 weeks for Sprout, an NGO located in Manhattan, New York City who organizes vacations and one-day-trips for people with disabilities. After a two-day training we were off on trips with the participants. normally you are three leaders with a group of 11 clients and a vacation-trip normally takes four to six days. Working with these people is demanding and tiring, as you are on 24h duty, but it is also lots of fun and very rewarding!
On the first day of the trip you meet the participants, get to know them (try to remember all the names..), sort out their luggage, pack the van and then off you go. The several hours ride is a good opportunity to talk to clients, get to know them better and feel the group's vibe. Once you arrived at your destination it's late afternoon and you're probably tired (and so are the clients) so you have a rest in the previously booked hotel and find a restaurant to have dinner at. And that's it for the first day. The next days you plan some activities, like going to the cinema, riding a boat, going to a fun-park, whatever the place has to offer and whatever the participants like and are able to do. Of course you also have to help them with their ADLs (daily activities we perform for self-care such as feeding ourselves, bathing, dressing, grooming) and that's about it. If it is the first time you're volunteering for Sprout you won't be bothered with medication because that's the more experienced leader's job.
So, if you're an easy-going and open-minded person, go for it! I had the time of my life, it was really so much fun! The people who work there are super nice and caring and they would never force you to do anything you don't feel comfortable with.
Also when you're off work you stay in one of the best hostels I've ever seen situated in the upper-west-side of Manhattan!
Only one thing: Be prepared to eat lots of heavy food, cause that's what clients love! ;)

Debora
Cinisello Balsamo, Milan

Best experience ever!!

First experience in my life! I was in Philadelphia (PA), a great city with a great community. We had been treated as members of the society!! we were 9 people, divided in 3 smaller groups depending of the work we did (maintainance, costructing and painting team). we got up at 9, ready to work with our team. We had a took turns in cooking lunch, clenaning the volunteers house and cooking dinner. every night we cooked a different country dinner and then we spent the nights playing together, chatting and so on!

From this experience I obtained new skills in maintainance (using the screwgun and other machines...), cultural exchange (life experiences, language, cooking). I also improved my english and now I have these quite new but very strong friendship!!!!!!!

Lorenzo
Verano Brianza, Italy

Let's work it out at the workcamp!

This has been one of the best experience I've ever had in my life. I volunteered in Philadelphia, PA, in a great community, where we have been warmly received, and treated with both respect and thankfulness, as well as interest.
We got up in the morning at 9 a.m. ready to work with nails, screwguns, saws and whatever, conscious to do something useful for other people and that could also satisfy ourselves.
A great part of the camp was the time spent together with the other volunteers, eating, chatting, playing games, hanging out in the neighbourhood or throughout the city..the more we knew each other, the better we spent time together!! It's been a real pleasure to discover, that, although we live in different countries and belong to different backgrounds, we share the same ideals and in the end, we are more similar to each other than we may think..

Jessica
Salou

The best experience in my life could seem too much, but it was near!

It was my first experience abroad in a volunteer program and all I can say is that it was the most exciting experience I've ever had. Not only for the work we did (which I have to say it was really hard but I enjoyed it) also the people I met was incredible. The organisation managed everything and the work-days were useful even though we didnt have too much free time, but on weekends and some afternoon we enjoyed the cultural events of Nashville.
In my opinion, the best thing about the workcamp was the people around the Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (our organisation in place) which involved with us making the experience better.

aleksej
Milan, Italy

awesome volunteering in vermont!!

This past summer I volountered for two months in Vermont with Volunteers for Peace.
I spent three weeks in Montpelier and three in Burlington.
The first programme was in Montpelier park department where I had lot of fun exploring the nature and meeting lot of interesting people.
In the second camp we made three pessays for the local television and we had lot of meetings with the local community. VFP was supportive and helpful overall.

Dario
Ascoli Piceno (Italy)

Sprout (NYC)

I have been a volunteer with Sprout, a no profit organisation located in NYC. I worked with people with delepmental disabilities. I travelled with them in USA and Canada.

Maxime
In Chamalières, France.

Newport, NH

The workcamp there was great. It was so much fun that I did it twice. I met wonderful people especially those from the community and the leader who is a sincerely good person. I also had the opportunity to visit the area and enjoy the food!

Eva
Limerick
Mary Immaculate College- Limerick

Absolutely loved it!

This is just a brief review. I loved everything about the program. Being in a remote area, in Baxter State Park was amazing. The people were all so unique, open-minded and great fun! Everybody connected so fast and we shared so many valuable experiences! Nature is so important and we should not forget that. We should live with nature rather than destroying it or focusing our life only on the city. The work was hard- in a positive way as it was so very rewarding! It was the best time of my life and I would do it again and again! It certainly changed my view on life! Thanks a million!!

Maria
Moscow

A beautiful moment

The highlight of my workcamp in new hampshire was not teaching teenagers about my country for 2 weeks (which was by itself an invaluable experience). The best part about VFP is a close interaction with the local comunity you get to enjoy.
I don't think I will ever so anything that will beat holding a hand a blind lady who, even though she doesn't remember her daughter, still can give vivid accounts of working for FBI (!) under Hoover administration. Nothing can beat holding that hand and helping her write "Hello" in Russian. She apologized a million times that she couldn't really see what she was doing, but in the end I think she did great, she can now tell anyone that she mastered Russian caligraphy.
That is only one of the numerous examples of truly beautiful moments given to us by VFP, the program that sees volunteering as not only helping the community but also nurturing the inner growth of the volunteer.

Pilar
Mexico City, Mexico

It was awsome, best summer ever!

I had the chance to meet different people from all over the world (Italy, France, Turkey, South Korea, Mexico and Germany). We did a good job repairing things in the house where we were living and in a church and at the same time we we made good memories having fun in every activity. We also had free time to go to the local pool, on the weekends we visited downtown, went to museums and admire the beautiful city of Philadelphia. We learned very much from the other countries talking to each other and also every night we eat the traditional dinner of each country. I will always remember it and we keep in touch so I hope that even if we live far away I could see soon my friends.

It is also a great opportunity to visit New York and Boston, when the camp ended some of the volunteers and me just take a bus and spent a few days there. It was amazing, we had a great time being in New York, one of the biggest cities of the world. And then in Boston where we saw great universities such as Harvard.

Ron, the leader of the workcamp is the best.

Max
Mainz, Germany

Great time with great people!

First things first: I had an awesome time in the United States volunteering on two programs in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Danby, Vermont. I'm very happy I took this opportunity and spent some time in the States, I would definitely recommend it to a friend of mine and, yes, I would go again. Immediately. The cotact to VFP always was pleasant, and I therefore felt safe even though being away a few thousand miles from home across the Atlantic Ocean. Do I feel like leaving some sort of impact? Well, at least partially I definitely do. Especially in the project in Vermont I felt like doing something important by maintaining the Long Trail and the Appalachian Trail. But also in Philadelphia I feel like my work might have some kind of impact, maybe not directly but through comunication with community members as well as with other group members from different countries. I feel like not only I might have changed something, also the program might have changed me. I'm feeling more sure about myself and about what I can change but also about what I'm not able to change.

Well, what did I actually do? In Philadelphia work included renovations on the building we lived in as well as community services (helping community members with some work they can not do on their own). In Vermont I was one of two VFP volunteers on a trail crew of the Green Mountain Club. Our work included clearing trees to regain view points on the trail, building puncheons (wood constructions to allow hikers to cross marshy parts of the trail without getting wet feet), building turnpikes (something like big sandboxes filled with gravel for a similar purpose as the puncheons) and clearing waterbars to get the water off the trail.
What bout food? In Philadelphia we were responsible to buy the food we needed as a group with the money provided by VFP. In Vermont the Green Mountain Club took care of that (at least during the work week) and after a long day of hard work we prepared our diner together. Food was pretty good and varied every day.
The groups in both projects were very different: In Philadelphia the group consisted of mostly Europeans, in Vermont I was one out of only two (three) foreigners whilst most of the people came from all over the US. In both places I was heartily welcomed and spent a great time with great people who became friends to whom I still keep contact.

All in all I am very happy having participated in those projects and I can only recommend it to EVERYBODY!

quentin
BAYONNE FRANCE

Nashville 2011

It was a fantastic experience, everything was great.
Everybody was concern by our objective and it was greatfull. The best moment was the meeting with the helped people.

Volunteers For Peace (VFP) is a U.S. based non-profit organization that operates within the global networks of the Coordinating Committee for International Voluntary Service (CCIVS), Service Civil International (SCI) and the Alliance of European Voluntary Service to provide meaningful cross-cultural engagement opportunities to thousands of