Outdoor Adventure & Apprenticeship Learning • Interdependent Gap Semester

Gappers walk
Gappers walk
Horses
Horses

Gap at Glen Brook is a place-based experience for gap students on a 250-acre campus in the Monadnock region of New Hampshire, USA. We are a community of life-long learners, explorers, and individuals committed to the joys of simple living.

The central focus of the program is to understand viscerally all that we are connected to. We work with our bodies and our hands to tend to the farm, forest, and program facilities that make up our home. Learn to cook a whole foods meal from scratch, try your hand at woodworking, harvest the fruits of a growing season, and explore the New England wilds in all the autumn's colors.

Finding roots and rhythms at Glen Brook, gap students have a unique chance to examine what it means to live well, and what it means to belong—to both a natural and a human ecosystem. A semester at Glen Brook is a transformative experience for change-makers thirsty for a life of purpose and adventure.

• Outdoor Adventure; Naturalist and Expedition Skills
  • Environmental Responsibility
  • Homestead Skills
  • Farm-to-Table Lifestyle
  • Mindfulness Practices

Enrollment Open Now!

Enrollment is open for Gap at Glen Brook's Fall 2019 semester. Secure your place for an autumn living with purpose, in community, and close to the land.

Dan

Gap at Glen Brook

Gap at Glen Brook was the best three months of my life so far. It included lots of new experiences, like sleeping in a tent, talking (and singing) about Warhammer 40,000, and playing Dungeons and Dragons, and also new skills, such as baking bread, building fires, and making a canoe paddle.
The most important part of Gap at Glen Brook for me, however, was the introspection, the time spent talking about what kind of people we were, whether AIs should take over the world (they will eventually, so we might as well make sure they're good AIs), and what our fundamental moral values are. I'd highly recommend Gap at Glen Brook for anyone interested in both personal growth and understanding themselves better.

Jeremy

Absolutely worth it!

"Interdependent", adjective (of two or more people or things) dependent on each other. This, I think is the key word to describe both this program's goals, and to describe my experience here. While there is a chance to gain a better sense of self through the self-reflection opportunities presented by the writing workshops, the solitude from the wilderness experiences, and the chance to create something that both represents you, and simultaneously will give back to the community you've joined and helped create, I think the bigger focus is on the community you create, and the experiences you share. You learn people's habits, strengths and weaknesses, and subsequently try to change your own and compromise in order to keep things in a state that is beneficial for everyone. You suffer through hardships together, and tell stories and jokes about it afterward together. You learn together, and teach together. You work hard together, and and you relax afterwards together. 10/10 would be a WOLVERINE! again.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
On one of our wilderness expeditions, a five day canoe trip across three lakes on the border of New Hampshire and Maine, we got caught out in an unexpected rain storm one evening. It was uncomfortable and a stressful experience for me, but I overcame it by remembering that this was something the whole group was experiencing and that together, we could make the best of it that we could, and it certainly made for a good story afterward.
Elisabeth

Find Yourself In Ways You Didn't Know You Could

This gap program is so rich with intention and gives so many opportunities to figure out things about yourself that you didn't know, all in a beautiful natural environment. The food was organic and fresh. The community was so friendly and genuine. The living situation was homey. I will say, though, like anything else, you get out what you put in. This program was everything I was looking for (nature, learning new skills, personal writing, and a supportive atmosphere to grow in) and I went in with the clear intention to better myself and be open to new things. Because of that I believe I got a lot out of it, most notably confidence in my ability to grow. I loved it so much that I ended up staying to work at the camp for the next two summers.

What was your funniest moment?
When we first played a game of telephone pictionary!
Sam

Glenbrook - The beginning of the rest of your life

Gap at Glenbrook was the most profound experience of my life so far. Even now, only a few months out of the program, I cannot find the proper words to describe how I was changed. Truthfully, I look at the world differently now. The staff at Glenbrook are incredible, and are so incredibly passionate about their work that simply watching them do-what-they-do one can learn. Glenbrook has a perfect mixture of learning practical skills with ones hands, in the great outdoors, and using our focus and intensity to drive us forward academically. Indeed, the best paper I have ever written I wrote at Glenbrook. Gap at Glenbrook challenges everyone who arrives, and fosters a certain curiosity that has not left me even as I have finished my gap. Overall, I cannot recommend Gap at Glenbrook enough. Gap at Glenbrook is for anyone who wishes to truly grow in a way they have not grown before, to learn in a way that they have never learned, and to have genuine experiences that will shape the rest of their lives.

I wouldn't change a thing about the experience I had.
Phoebe

Gap at Glen Brook Changed Me!!!!

Gap at Glen Brook changed my life, and I know that sounds cheesy. The curriculum taught me to think deeply about my life and self. The physical location brought me closer to the earth. I felt and still feel nourished mentally, emotionally, and physically by the people I met and the way we lived. I wish that I could have stayed forever!! After completing the program, I reflected on my experience for a long time, and I still am. I think that is a really important thing about this program, the way that I feel like it has never left me, and how I think about it all the time. I will never forget Spring Gap and the community and love it gave to me.

Sofie

Unmatched and Unforgettable

Spring Gap at Glen Brook was not only the perfect end to my gap year, but also the perfect beginning to a new way of exploring the world and my place within it. The Glen Brook community is composed of THE most nurturing and passionate educators - I walked away from this experience with a full (more accurately, brimming over) toolbox of knowledge, as well as lifelong friendships and memories. The Gap curriculum and community co-created an entirely new way of living for me: one that embraces intention, gratitude, and challenge. Connections to and stewardship of the land - whether this be through farming or a solo in the woods - cultivated deeper connections to and stewardship of myself. I would not have been able to access this anywhere else. Glen Brook is family!

Alec

A unique gap adventure

Gap at Glen Brook was a pretty amazing experience for me and got me to really expand my appreciation toward my surroundings almost all the time as well as viewing the world and the nature of life in unique ways. Our three ringleaders, Jake, Alison, and Leon, and every other staff, were all so amazing. They really know how to run a gap program and work around obstacles as they come up. The organic farm Glen Brook is based on offers an almost daily culinary experience with a writing and woodworking course. The beautiful forest surrounding the property and Glen Brook lake has a nice trail system and provides a spot for entertaining team building activities. Two activities us rappers used to make friends with one another and get settled in the program was the backpacking trip to Mt. Adams and the four night canoeing trip up in Maine.

Zoe

A Reflection on Gap at Glen Brook

From being a Gap student at Glen Brook I came to appreciate the place on a whole new level. I felt so thankful to have an abundance of resources available to me, such as hiking trails, the lake, the wood shop, and a garden filled with delicious vegetables. We were taught real life skills that will not only be helpful to us in our college years, but way beyond that. We were challenged physically on the ropes course, rock climbing, backpacking, canoeing, wood working, and farm chores. We were challenged mentally through our writing and philosophy classes and our daily discussions about the world and social dynamics. It wasn't until after the program that I realized how much I had grown as a person through these experiences. Having a balance between work and down time allowed for personal reflection and thought about my future. Gap at Glen Brook was so rewarding and special. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a productive program to participate in during their Gap year.

Erin

A unique gap semester

Gap at Glen Brook was a wild ride of a semester. There is so much to do on the camp grounds, and as a gap student, we did just about all of it. I participated in the first year of the program with seven other students. By the end of the semester, I not only had learned valuable life skills like cooking, building, and writing, I had also grown tremendously as a person. A standout of the program is the setting itself. Glen Brook is situated on a gorgeous campus with miles of wooded trails to explore. Living in this environment during autumn was incredible as we got to experience the wilderness during a huge seasonal change.

"Gappers" as we were affectionately dubbed by are fantastic leaders Kya and Jake, lived, learned and worked together. If you've never been away from home for an extended period of time, this is a great stepping stone. We were often left to solve problems that inevitably arise in any group setting, but support from our leaders was always within reach if we needed it.

Adventure was always right around the corner and saw us off on a backpacking trip to summit Mount Adams, and a canoeing trip in Maine. Some of my favorite memories of the semester were from our long days out on the water, and eating dinner during fiery sunsets.

If you're looking for a challenging, rewarding, amazing semester, you've come to the right place.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About Gap at Glen Brook

Gap at Glen Brook is a place-based program for gap students that nurtures your sense of purpose through community living and a personal connection with the natural world. We offer a 10-week fall semester program and 9-week spring program that...