Gap at Glen Brook

Gap at Glen Brook

Just announced: our Spring Program! Begins in March 2017.

Gap at Glen Brook is a place-based experience for gap semester students on a 250-acre campus in the Monadnock region of New Hampshire, USA. We are a community of life-long learners, explorers, and people committed to the joys of simple living.

The central focus of the program is to cultivate personal development within a learning community through independent living, practical skills, and by fostering a deeper relationship with nature and with community.

Learn to cook a whole foods meal from scratch, try your hand at woodworking, prepare farmland for a growing season, and participate in a variety of workshops from business writing to wildlife tracking.

Finding roots and rhythms at Glen Brook, gap students have a unique chance to examine what it means to live well, and what it means to belong—to both a natural and a human ecosystem. Here, we don’t just ask ourselves, “What can I do to change the world?” but rather: “How can I change myself to change the world around me?"

North America » United States of America
Program Tags
Hands-On
Hands-On Learning
Wilderness
Primary Language
Age Max
Cost Description
Tuition covers all program expenses, including room, board, all activities, adjunct instructors, and expeditions.
Marlborough, New Hampshire

Alec
Santa Barbara, California

A unique gap adventure

Gap at Glen Brook was a pretty amazing experience for me and got me to really expand my appreciation toward my surroundings almost all the time as well as viewing the world and the nature of life in unique ways. Our three ringleaders, Jake, Alison, and Leon, and every other staff, were all so amazing. They really know how to run a gap program and work around obstacles as they come up. The organic farm Glen Brook is based on offers an almost daily culinary experience with a writing and woodworking course. The beautiful forest surrounding the property and Glen Brook lake has a nice trail system and provides a spot for entertaining team building activities. Two activities us rappers used to make friends with one another and get settled in the program was the backpacking trip to Mt. Adams and the four night canoeing trip up in Maine.

Zoe
Newtown
Goucher College

A Reflection on Gap at Glen Brook

From being a Gap student at Glen Brook I came to appreciate the place on a whole new level. I felt so thankful to have an abundance of resources available to me, such as hiking trails, the lake, the wood shop, and a garden filled with delicious vegetables. We were taught real life skills that will not only be helpful to us in our college years, but way beyond that. We were challenged physically on the ropes course, rock climbing, backpacking, canoeing, wood working, and farm chores. We were challenged mentally through our writing and philosophy classes and our daily discussions about the world and social dynamics. It wasn't until after the program that I realized how much I had grown as a person through these experiences. Having a balance between work and down time allowed for personal reflection and thought about my future. Gap at Glen Brook was so rewarding and special. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a productive program to participate in during their Gap year.

Erin
Philadelphia, PA

A unique gap semester

Gap at Glen Brook was a wild ride of a semester. There is so much to do on the camp grounds, and as a gap student, we did just about all of it. I participated in the first year of the program with seven other students. By the end of the semester, I not only had learned valuable life skills like cooking, building, and writing, I had also grown tremendously as a person. A standout of the program is the setting itself. Glen Brook is situated on a gorgeous campus with miles of wooded trails to explore. Living in this environment during autumn was incredible as we got to experience the wilderness during a huge seasonal change.

"Gappers" as we were affectionately dubbed by are fantastic leaders Kya and Jake, lived, learned and worked together. If you've never been away from home for an extended period of time, this is a great stepping stone. We were often left to solve problems that inevitably arise in any group setting, but support from our leaders was always within reach if we needed it.

Adventure was always right around the corner and saw us off on a backpacking trip to summit Mount Adams, and a canoeing trip in Maine. Some of my favorite memories of the semester were from our long days out on the water, and eating dinner during fiery sunsets.

If you're looking for a challenging, rewarding, amazing semester, you've come to the right place.

Gap at Glen Brook is a place-based program for gap students that nurtures your sense of purpose through community living and a personal connection with the natural world. We offer a 10-week fall semester program and 9-week spring program that integrates place-based apprenticeship tracks. All