Gap Semester in New Hampshire. Farm, Nature Connection, Community Living

Authenticity. Dignity. Wonder.
Discover What's Yours.

Gap at Glen Brook offers a domestic gap semester in the fall and spring on a 250-acre campus in the Monadnock region of New Hampshire. We are a community of life-long learners, explorers, and individuals committed to the joys of simple living.

The focus of the program is to build our connections. We work with our bodies and our hands to tend to the farm, forest, and program facilities that make up our home. Learn to cook a whole foods meal from scratch, try your hand at woodworking, harvest the fruits of a growing season, and explore the New England wilds.

Finding roots and rhythms at Glen Brook, gap students have a unique chance to examine what it means to live well, and what it means to belong—to both a natural and a human ecosystem. A semester at Glen Brook is a transformative experience for change-makers thirsty for a life of purpose and adventure.

• Bushcraft, Outdoor Adventure; Naturalist and Expedition Skills
  • Farm Life and Environmental Responsibility
  • Apprenticeship in Kitchen, Farm, Facilities and Education
  • Cooking classes and opportunities
  • Group Living - Skills for personal responsibility and independence

Lilly

Gap At Glen Brook

My experience as a part of Glen Brook's 2019 fall semester cohort was a truly life-changing one, it is a safe place for all young people, whether you are looking to take some time to venture into the world before starting college, looking for direction in your next step of life, or just want to experience nature and grow your understanding of yourself in relation to the rest of the earth. It is a fantastic environment to grow, adventure, and get out of your comfort zone while also learning valuable life skills such as communication and community building, as well as cooking, gardening/farming, time management, planning skills, and so much more. It wasn't easy, this program pushed to think differently and challenged me mentally, emotionally, and physically in a way I hadn't experienced in a very long time, but it's because of those struggles that I left Glen Brook happier and more self-confident than ever. I spent my semester experiencing beautiful New England fall foliage, exploring nearby towns and farmers markets on weekends, and making life long friends and connections.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I think that the scariest part of starting anything new is just starting, walking into Glen Brook that first day by myself, it didn't matter how much I had read about it or how much I had prepared myself, it was still a big unknown and you just have to jump in anyways. Only after you do it will you realize there are people to catch you, and everyone else is nervous too, but you're all in it together, and knowing you aren't alone makes everything less scary.
Jack

Glen Brook, and why it works

Glen Brook was great because what it does, is help you find yourself. That may sound cliché, but it's 100% true. It helped me to figure out what was happening in my life, what was going wrong, and what the ways were that best for me to use to fix things. I came from three lackluster semesters of college, not sure what to do with my life and where to go, to finding all the right tools to use to help myself keep moving forward. I learned about myself, and a I learned so much about the people around me as well, and how really, we're not all different as one might think.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I'd make sure the phones have much less of a presence. I don't know if I'd go for outlawing them, but make sure they're much more regulated.
Bella

My Gap at Glen Brook Experience

It is often times difficult for me to express how much I adore Glen Brook. I've been spending the past 8 summers there as a camper and CIT and it's a place I now consider my second home. This organic farm overlooking Mt. Monadnock is truly beautiful and filled with the most intelligent, kind hearted and mindful individuals that I'm grateful I've gotten to know and learn from. The lessons I had learned and the ways in which I had grown were already abundant from spending each summer there yet the gap program helped me grow in a new way. The connection I had with the Earth around me became even deeper and the ways in which I matured were pronounced. Stepping into an environment with little to no technology and distractive media truly helped me reflect on the world in which I inhabit. Learning to plant, grow and harvest our own vegetables to then directly cook for dinner with the other gapers gave me an immense amount of gratitude like no other. Similarly, using the wood from a fallen tree to carve a spoon instilled that same idea. It inspired a sense of personal responsibility as an individual living on this planet to act as I can to leave a positive footprint. Not to mention, this program has a wonderful balance of outdoor adventure trips, workshops, apprenticeships and meaningful activities. I learned an abundance of new skills, like cooking new dishes and creating a one match fire, as well as had the experience of living in a house with 10 other gapers. I am so grateful I had the opportunity to attend Gap at Glen Brook!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
As we paddled along the Moose River in Maine on our 5 day canoe trip, we often joked about seeing a moose as the name implied. After a few days, and no sighting of a moose, our hopefulness of seeing one was dulled. However, as we began our journey home on the bus, we saw not one but two moose! It was an exciting end to a challenging yet beautiful trip.
Dan

Gap at Glen Brook

Gap at Glen Brook was the best three months of my life so far. It included lots of new experiences, like sleeping in a tent, talking (and singing) about Warhammer 40,000, and playing Dungeons and Dragons, and also new skills, such as baking bread, building fires, and making a canoe paddle.
The most important part of Gap at Glen Brook for me, however, was the introspection, the time spent talking about what kind of people we were, whether AIs should take over the world (they will eventually, so we might as well make sure they're good AIs), and what our fundamental moral values are. I'd highly recommend Gap at Glen Brook for anyone interested in both personal growth and understanding themselves better.

Jeremy

Absolutely worth it!

"Interdependent", adjective (of two or more people or things) dependent on each other. This, I think is the key word to describe both this program's goals, and to describe my experience here. While there is a chance to gain a better sense of self through the self-reflection opportunities presented by the writing workshops, the solitude from the wilderness experiences, and the chance to create something that both represents you, and simultaneously will give back to the community you've joined and helped create, I think the bigger focus is on the community you create, and the experiences you share. You learn people's habits, strengths and weaknesses, and subsequently try to change your own and compromise in order to keep things in a state that is beneficial for everyone. You suffer through hardships together, and tell stories and jokes about it afterward together. You learn together, and teach together. You work hard together, and and you relax afterwards together. 10/10 would be a WOLVERINE! again.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
On one of our wilderness expeditions, a five day canoe trip across three lakes on the border of New Hampshire and Maine, we got caught out in an unexpected rain storm one evening. It was uncomfortable and a stressful experience for me, but I overcame it by remembering that this was something the whole group was experiencing and that together, we could make the best of it that we could, and it certainly made for a good story afterward.
Elisabeth

Find Yourself In Ways You Didn't Know You Could

This gap program is so rich with intention and gives so many opportunities to figure out things about yourself that you didn't know, all in a beautiful natural environment. The food was organic and fresh. The community was so friendly and genuine. The living situation was homey. I will say, though, like anything else, you get out what you put in. This program was everything I was looking for (nature, learning new skills, personal writing, and a supportive atmosphere to grow in) and I went in with the clear intention to better myself and be open to new things. Because of that I believe I got a lot out of it, most notably confidence in my ability to grow. I loved it so much that I ended up staying to work at the camp for the next two summers.

What was your funniest moment?
When we first played a game of telephone pictionary!
Sam

Glenbrook - The beginning of the rest of your life

Gap at Glenbrook was the most profound experience of my life so far. Even now, only a few months out of the program, I cannot find the proper words to describe how I was changed. Truthfully, I look at the world differently now. The staff at Glenbrook are incredible, and are so incredibly passionate about their work that simply watching them do-what-they-do one can learn. Glenbrook has a perfect mixture of learning practical skills with ones hands, in the great outdoors, and using our focus and intensity to drive us forward academically. Indeed, the best paper I have ever written I wrote at Glenbrook. Gap at Glenbrook challenges everyone who arrives, and fosters a certain curiosity that has not left me even as I have finished my gap. Overall, I cannot recommend Gap at Glenbrook enough. Gap at Glenbrook is for anyone who wishes to truly grow in a way they have not grown before, to learn in a way that they have never learned, and to have genuine experiences that will shape the rest of their lives.

I wouldn't change a thing about the experience I had.
Phoebe

Gap at Glen Brook Changed Me!!!!

Gap at Glen Brook changed my life, and I know that sounds cheesy. The curriculum taught me to think deeply about my life and self. The physical location brought me closer to the earth. I felt and still feel nourished mentally, emotionally, and physically by the people I met and the way we lived. I wish that I could have stayed forever!! After completing the program, I reflected on my experience for a long time, and I still am. I think that is a really important thing about this program, the way that I feel like it has never left me, and how I think about it all the time. I will never forget Spring Gap and the community and love it gave to me.