Volunteer in Peru from US$310

By UBELONG   Reviews (47)   95% Rating

UBELONG offers 1-week to 6-month volunteering opportunities in Cusco and the Sacred Valley. There are over 40 projects in different fields, including: caregiving, education, health, and business development.

• Affordable: Without compromising quality, the world's most affordable international volunteering opportunities.
  • Flexibility: Pick from 100+ projects across Africa, Asia and South America. Volunteer 1 week to 6 months. Start any week.
  • Support: Work one-on-one with a UBELONG Mentor throughout your volunteer experience.
  • Comfort: Housing and meals included, as well as 24/7 field support.
  • Network: UBELONG is based in Washington, DC, the capital of international volunteering.
  • Impact: UBELONG is a social venture led by international volunteers and university professors driven to make a real impact.
View Program Information
$500 - $2,000 (USD)
$2,000 - $5,000 (USD)
See site for details.
Cost Description:

Without compromising safety or impact, UBELONG offers the world's most affordable 1-week to 6-month international volunteering opportunities.

Fees vary by location and placement duration. They start from US$150 for one week. Fees include:

-Airport pick-up

-Housing and meals

-24/7 in-country support

-Continual one-on-one mentorship from a UBELONG Mentor (including written materials and a phone/Skype Briefing Meeting)

-Peace of mind from joining the leading short-term international volunteering program, which is based in Washington, DC

-Networking opportunities through the powerful UBELONG community

*The UBELONG Campus Leaders program offers scholarships to university students. Contact us for more information.

Languages:

Leave a Review
  • Kelsey
    UBELONG in Peru
    03/24/2015

UBELONG is, in my mind, the best organization for international volunteering. There are a variety of groups that exploit the travel- and service-hungry millennial generation - providing overpriced trips that don't actually immerse students in the culture. UBELONG is NOT one of these groups. I was impressed in every aspect of their program, particularly in-country issues focus and immersion. I have recommended UBELONG to everyone I know who would like to volunteer abroad, and will continue to do so.

Useful: 2 Inspiring: 0
  • Em
    Volunteer in Peru!
    03/10/2015

I think that UBELONG is a great organization. It is well-organized, easy to contact the right people, and is a really simple and effective way to go to a new country with the security of knowing that you will be able to volunteer somewhere that needs your help. I think that my experiences abroad with UBELONG have been my favorite trips ever, because I was able to combine volunteering and traveling, while learning new things along the way!

How could this program be improved?

I think that the program could help encourage fellow volunteers to interact with one another a little more- I made great friends along the way, but would have loved to meet more people!

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 1
  • Madalyn
    Madison, Wisconsin
    UBELONG Cusco, Peru Review
    03/05/2015

UBELONG gave me the ability to volunteer abroad almost effortlessly. The website was very informative and my mentor was always available for questions and led me along the path to volunteering smoothly. Communication was great. I also appreciated the Pre-Departure booklet. It had a wealth of information that the trip wouldn't have been the same without knowing.

• Bill
    UBELONG- Cusco, Peru
    02/13/2015

UBELONG is well run and well organized form start to post trip follow up. Their commitment to quality volunteer experience and impact comes across at every step, from the 50 page preparation booklet to following up on potential problems.

• Lindsay
    Washington, DC
    Michigan State University
    Revitalizing Volunteering with Excellent Organization
    01/30/2015

This is a review is in regards to a two week volunteer trip that I partook in through UBELONG. UBELONG is a superbly ran organization and having reliable and accessible volunteer staff allowed me to feel comfortable on my first solo volunteer trip. I also want to note that the project and volunteer amenities in Peru adequately reflected the descriptions that were provided and I hope to go on another trip through UBELONG in the near future.

• Erika
    Newark, ca
    Samuel Merritt University
    Cusco, Peru with Ubelong
    01/09/2015

Volunteering with UBELONG was an amazing experience that allowed me to grow as a person by working with others and learning from locals. The UBELONG staff was very supportive and greatly prepared me for my trip. They stayed in contact with me throughout and after my trip as well. While being by my side, they also gave me the freedom to ask questions and explore the beautiful culture that Peru has to offer. In all, I made wonderful memories and learned great things that will stay with me forever!

How could this program be improved?

If I had to change anything about it, I would say that I wouldve liked to know more about the specific place I was going to volunteer at. I felt like I kind of went into the project blind and did not know what to expect. However, this was not necessarily a bad thing because it left me with no expectations.

• Isabella
    Age: 18 or younger
    Edmonton
    University of Alberta
    UBELONG - Awesome Program and Awesome People
    10/26/2014

UBELONG provided me with a great experience to travel across the world, and make a contribution to the lives of the children I worked with. The UBELONG staff were welcoming, and ready to help both before, during, and after my trip. Alongside this, the people of Peru were so friendly and accommodating that I felt right at home travelling to my placement at an afterschool day care center. If you are worried about travelling alone, don't be! All the volunteers at the house are extremely welcoming, and you will never be at a loss for a friend or companion.

• Kuan
    Waterloo, Ontario
    University of Waterloo
    Review of UBELONG Volunteer Program
    10/07/2014

UBELONG is one of the most reputable, reliable and cost-effective international volunteer organizations that I can find. Although it was my first time volunteering overseas, I was not worried and I was well prepared because UBELONG had assisted and guided me very well before the start of my project. I only wish I could stay longer because the project was an awesome experience and it was well worth it.

How could this program be improved?

More nutritious and quantity of food provided would be much appreciated.

• Ashley
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Two Months in Cusco, Peru
    10/06/2014

I feel like the two months spent in Peru changed the way I see myself and others. I feel extremely grateful for choosing UBELONG, because of it I met amazing people and not have wonderful memories. There was times when I was ready to come home because of whatever reason but by finishing my stay I was able to grow so much more. I wouldn't change a thing about my experience.

How could this program be improved?

I would like to pay for my all my meals rather than having to pay for them as part as the overall charge.

Photos:
    Ladies who ask for donations while walking to the streets to Plaza de Armas.
  • Chloe
    Athens, Ohio
    Ohio University
    UBELONG was wonderful!
    08/16/2014

UBELONG was a wonderful organization that provided me with a mentor to answer any questions or help with any difficulties I had in the field. I had some difficulty within my homestay, which the UBELONG team helped me with in a timely fashion. With that being said, if someone has any difficulty within their homestay, they should contact their mentor before mentioning anything to their family.

The students I worked with in the field were wonderful as well. I was greeted with hugs by my students every morning and they were eager to learn. Additionally, they were very kind to me despite our language barrier. The staff at the school was incredibly kind and hospitable as well. They were always looking to help me in some way. Overall, it was a wonderful learning and cultural experience.

How could this program be improved?

I had some difficulty with thievery throughout my time in the field. Making volunteers more aware of theft prevention techniques would be tremendously helpful.

Useful: 6 Inspiring: 2
  • Rufia
    Adelaide, Australia
    University of South Australia
    Volunteering in a Peruvian childcare
    08/08/2014

Volunteering internationally was one of the most fun and insightful experiences of my life. I may not have changed the world, but I helped make the lives of these children fun for at least a short time, and I gained an appreciation for everything I take for granted back home.

How could this program be improved?

included Spanish lessons to prepare us for everyday life in the country

Useful: 2 Inspiring: 1
  • Kelly
    London
    Florida International University
    You do belong!
    07/29/2014

The volunteer process doesn't just start with wanting to serve others somewhere in the world and choosing an organization that will help you get placed in a good program where you can impact those who you are helping and at the same time having them arrange your stay, is a hard task. If you are like me, you did hours of research before embarking on this great mission. I looked at many different organizations that offered a great experience and to be honest they all sounded great if not the same. When I came across UBelong's website I read many reviews along with the organization's mission statement and it triggered me to keep looking, so when I came across the Business Development project it was exactly what I was looking for. During my stay in Cusco and before, I had a great amount of support from the organization and I didn't have any issues. I had the opportunity to meet Raul Roman which is one of the organizations founders. We had the opportunity of discussing the project I was working with, his experiences while volunteering and how it all came about when creating UBelong. It was a great feeling to know that the founders care for the volunteers and their work. All in all, UBelong gave me the opportunity of helping a great organization where my work was valued, and gave me a chance to see how our work can deeply impact those who benefit from it.

• Nico
    Age: 18 or younger
    Ontario
    Personal schedule and what to bring for kids
    07/23/2014

I like the flexibility that we had during our placement. Volunteers can choose their own time available for work and schedule accordingly to make some spare time for free exploration of the local place -- as long as the work is well arranged.
    I highly suggest volunteers (of the after school centre program) to bring toys and books based on quality as well as quantity. Make sure the stuff you bring can be distributed to most of the children and durable. Be patient and open; kids are so earnest and lovely.

How could this program be improved?

Tell the volunteers more about the accommodation (that it is located in a Spanish school previous to their arrival), especially when it is mingled with other programs/organizations: in our case, the Spanish school. We would have had taken more of the classes if we had known that we were going to live there.
    The brochure / instruction booklet is REALLY clear and straightforward; because of that, we didn't have any surprise or unprepared experience.

Useful: 3 Inspiring: 0
  • Vanessa
    Greenville, NC
    East Carolina University
    Thank you UBELONG!
    07/23/2014

I spent 4 weeks volunteering in Cusco, Peru at a shelter for abused girls with UBELONG. My first week there was difficult - first with the cold, cold weather and lack of heat, the culture shock, and then getting sick; additionally, I also encountered a few unexpected obstacles with my project. However, to say that UBELONG went above and beyond to make sure that not only my stay was comfortable, but that I was also happy with my project, would be an understatement. I was lucky enough to even have the co-founder Raul in town to make my transition to a new project location as smooth as possible. Every single individual in Cusco's UBELONG program, from the staff, the cooks--I mean, I got 3 extra pancakes every Wednesday morning--, and the volunteers were exceptionally friendly. My first week in Cusco was challenging to say the least, but had I not had the support of UBELONG to get me through, I don't think I would have had enough strength to make it through the four weeks alone. It is with UBELONG that I was able to have a warm bed, despite the cold of Cusco at night, two great meals a day--the lunches especially were scrumptious--, health and emotional support when I was bed ridden with food poisoning, and make lifelong friends. I came to fall in love with Cusco, a city I knew nothing about until I set food there. This experience was rewarding in more ways than I could imagine. Thank you UBELONG! Until next time...

How could this program be improved?

Tell the volunteers exactly what volunteer location they will be staying in before making it to their volunteer destination

• Simon
    Washington DC
    Wesleyan University
    Volunteering in Cusco!
    07/22/2014

For me, it felt like UBELONG was driven entirely by making the international volunteer experience as wonderful as possible. Their love of volunteering and traveling and great spirit pervade everything that they do. The correspondence before you go is really helpful and kind, the projects they offer are exciting, and the website is inspirational. Also my experience as a teacher's assistant in Cusco, Peru was one of the greatest of my life. The volunteer coordinator showed me around and got me settled, I was welcomed each day by the class and I really felt like I was able to be a part of something positive and special. I'll always remember teaching some lessons the blackboard with amazing faces looking at me! Thank you UBELONG!

How could this program be improved?

There was a really nice balance between gradual transitional responsibility and occasional increased responsibility, however I wish I could have talked a little more with the teacher of the class about how to lead the class. I'm sure though had I asked she would have been happy to instruct me.

About the provider

UBELONG is the most affordable, professional and supportive international volunteering organization in the world.

Volunteer abroad in Africa, Asia and Latin America from 1 week to 6 months.

WHAT can you do?

For one week to six months, live in a community and volunteer on a community or environmental project.

WHERE can you go?
Asia: India, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos
Latin America: Mexico, Costa Rica, Ecuador and Peru
Africa: Ghana, Morocco

WHEN can you go?
Projects run year-round and you can join from one week to six months.

HOW much do you pay?
Costs start as low as US$350 for a 1 week placement.

Among other world-class services, you work 1 on 1 with a UBELONG Mentor and receive a Preparation Booklet, in-country orientation, housing, meals, project supervision and 24/7 support.