Local Volunteer Projects in Peru

Local Volunteer Projects in Peru

Maximo Nivel provides great volunteer programs Cusco, Peru. Maximo is a locally-based organization and you work directly with local projects, get involved, and make an impact!

University credit is available for our service learning programs from our official School of Record: California State University, Monterey Bay.

Volunteer placements include:

South America » Peru » Cusco
South America » Peru
Guesthouse
Volunteer Programs Include:

- Airport pick-up
- Personalized volunteer placement based on your skills and interests
- Safe, comfortable housing with breakfast and dinner included Monday - Sunday.
- In-country orientation, safety presentation, and walking tour
- Free access to high-speed internet and modern computers
- Free Office-wide WiFi
- Home-base facilities and multi-lingual team support 7 days/week
- In field support from our professional Field Managers
- Free Salsa lessons
- Free Cooking lessons
- Cultural and social activities
- A toll-free emergency hotline in the U.S.

J.R
Peru
Miami University

Cusco Construction

Huge shout-out to Maximo Nivel for providing me the opportunity to have such a memorable experience in Cusco. The team was always willing to help...whether it was first-day orientation, on-site visits, or just being there if I had a question...I knew I could count on them for any support I needed. My time in Cusco is drawing to a close, but the memories will last a lifetime. Thank you Maximo Nivel!

More emphasis on different/new skills for most people (rather than mostly painting, sanding, and plastering, in the four weeks I was here)

Holly

Loved My Experience Teaching English in Cusco for 3 Months!

I have been volunteering with Maximo Nivel in Cusco, Peru, for the past three months and have absolutely loved my time here! I just graduated college and wanted to take a gap year before going back to school. I have several friends who took a similar break but spent it backpacking through South America instead of staying in one location for a length of time. Although there are definitely benefits to both, I seriously recommend spending time in one place volunteering through an organization like Maximo! In these past few weeks I have gotten to know the culture and people of Cusco in a way that is not possible if you spend your time quickly traveling through places or staying in hostels.
First, my volunteer projects have been an incredible way to meet locals and make a difference. My project is teaching English and it has been really cool to watch people who initially knew no English improve to speaking full sentences. Maximo Nivel comes by and checks on the projects every week or so to make sure it is going smoothly and is willing to work with you if there is ever a problem with the project.
About a month ago I approached the Maximo staff with an idea to start a new project in the area that is more directly related to my academic interests. Instead of dismissing this because it would be a difficult project to start, they went out of their way to make this new project possible and I am currently working with them to help start it! I have met many other people who are here on a gap year between schools as well and Maximo wants to make sure that your experience with them best prepares you for whatever job or school you are hoping to gain entrance to upon your return home. I had to take the Law School Admission Test while I was here and they were willing to work with my schedule so I had plenty of time to study and volunteer!
Additionally, I have loved living with a host family here in Cusco. My house mother is incredible and cooks great meals. I was a little worried about living with a family after living on my own in college but my house mom is always willing to help me with things while also giving us freedom to come and go. Maximo also offers Spanish classes to volunteers and can pair you up with a local so that you can meet up with them on your own time to practice speaking Spanish and English. My Spanish has improved a lot because of this!
If you are trying to figure out how to spend time abroad or where to spend it, I highly recommend coming to Maximo Nivel in Cusco. Whether you plan to be here for one week or six months, Cusco offers incredible sights to visit in your free time. I became really good friends with my house mates and was able to travel to various places with them on the weekends and during the day when I was not volunteering. The people of Peru are very welcoming and I guarantee you will have an incredible time getting to know both the people and city of Cusco!

Karim

Fantastic Experience With Maximo Nivel Peru Teaching English!

I volunteered with Maximo Peru in Cusco for 3 weeks teaching English in October 2017 and what an amazing experience it was!

From the moment I arrived to the day I left I was given all the help and support I needed from the superb Maximo team on the ground in Cusco. My living accommodation was great and my host family were so hospitable I felt like a member of the family!

I was teaching English in an after school program to children between the ages of 6-12. They had an infectious happiness and willingness to learn that it made my time with them enjoyable and fun everyday whilst I was making a real impact to the quality of their written and spoken English.

I would highly recommend Maximo Peru for any volunteer program you´re thinking of doing!

Karim (London)

Page
8 months old
Redondo Beach
University of Southern California

Fantastic Family Volunteer Trip

We had a wonderful time in Peru with Maximo! We traveled with our two boys ages 12 and 14 and volunteered one week at the orphanage and one week at the zoo. All four of us loved playing with the kids and had a hard time leaving them after the week. We also enjoyed our time at the zoo and felt that we made an impact at both locations. We would love to return and work with Maximo in the future either in Peru or another location! Between the four of us we had four different Spanish teachers over the two weeks and all were super great! They have obviously garnered a stellar educational team. There were strikes in the city but we felt Maximo did everything they could do to ensure our safety. We did not miss any classes or volunteering time due to the strikes as we could walk to where we needed to go. Our Spanish parents were the absolute BEST! They could not have done more for us! American Inca Trail was very busy but very accommodating for all of our travel needs which we booked after we arrived. We highly recommend this experience!

A bit more direction with what to do with the orphans upon arrival would be helpful.

Jessica
Canada

Childcare/Medical

I have no words to describe the experience I had in Cusco. The staff at Maximo Nivel are exceptional. I felt well supported and appreciated by them. My host family was amazing and I developed a relationship with them. I met so many volunteers from around the world and still keep in touch with them. The best part of my experience was spending time with the children in the hospital. Seeing their situations was tough but made me want to help in every way possible. It was an extremely rewarding experience and I definitely recommend this program to everyone who is looking to volunteer or give back. This program allows for the perfect balance of volunteer work and travelling.

chelsey
boston
University of Massachusetts- Amherst

zoologico

I worked on the animal care project and was placed at the zoo. It was unreal. Maritza, the primary staff at the zoo is so caring and has such a great relationship with each of the animals. All of the animals had been rescued to some degree, and had varying needs, so we learned a lot about how to care for them. Maximo was very supportive throughout the entire experience, stopping in to see how we were doing, and providing other fun activities throughout the week. Our host family was so accommodating, friendly, and even made a cake and sang for my friend on her birthday! No matter where I go moving forward I would love to add a week of volunteering!

n/a

Maria
Colorado
University of Denver

Medical Internship in Cusco, Peru

Wow. Sure, it seems like such a small word, and maybe a cliche thing to say, but honestly, wow. The medical internship I did in Peru was absolutely amazing! I could not have asked for a better experience in terms of quality. Not only were the employees of Maximo Nivel incredible professionals, but they are also loving and kind people who you would like to get to know anyways. They do a fantastic job placing you somewhere you truly want to work. For example, one of my fellow volunteers didn't like her first job placement, and after speaking to Maximo, she was quickly transferred to the clinic where I was at. Maximo does very well placing you with a family as well. You always have the option of changing anything if you are not happy; in the end the experience is yours, and Maximo did all it could to make it the best experience for me. I was able to have large amounts of patient contact, and even saw sutures being put into someone's chest! Although my family was concerned about the safety in Peru, I honestly found it to be just as dangerous as any other city. Just be careful and everything will go well. There were so many opportunities to get to learn about the culture, travel, and eat good food. Cuzco is the center of Archaeological cites (aka ruins, but never say that to a native :D) and there is always something to do. Although finding places with wifi can be a little tricky, Maximo provided internet and a landline phone to make calls back home. I stayed a total of 5 weeks in Cuzco, and I wish to go back some day with Maximo again. This experience certainly encouraged me to continue with my pre-med track so I can one day become a doctor too. I hope many people continue participating with this incredible program, that not only provides medical internships but also a wide variety of other programs. I am certainly promoting it to all my friends at the University of Denver. Go Pios! And go Maximo Nivel!

Tell participants that they can change families or job locations if they feel uncomfortable. I was too nervous to do this at first, and I could have had a better experience if I had done so.

Gabriela

Cusco

When I landed in Cusco, I told myself, embrace ambiguity and go with the flow- so I did!! In the volunteer orientation, our program guide offered the best advise ever...she said this is your experience and you get what you put in! And she was 100% right! I was open to new experiences and new friendships and as a result this adventure changed my life forever. So I recommend to make this your experience!

n/a

Cj

Medical Campaign in Cusco Area

From the moment we arrived, we were greeted by a friendly face. Transportation was arranged and after nearly 24 hours of traveling it was a relief to coast into our host dwelling. The host throughout the week was very kind and hospitable. Breakfast every day and an authentic homecooked dinner in the evenings (along with different desserts). The house was serviced daily by a housekeeper, so we always came back to a clean house. Ellen, our field manager, was very well organized and very fluent in Spanish and along with the other contacts of Maximo Nivel, all of our campaigns were very well put together and fulfilling. I would come back and work with them in a heartbeat.

Chris

Great program and experience!

The program staff was extremely helpful. Never did I feel unsafe or worried. We were given great recommendations on restaurants, places to shop, etc. The staff also booked us an amazing homestay in Cusco with a wonderful woman who cooked us breakfast and dinner every day! The actual program itself was also amazing. They kept our group busy the entire 3 weeks we were there, and always kept the schedule engaging, professional, and fun. My favorite memories include getting to really know the vibrant, big-hearted people of Cusco through medical campaigns and our fun excursions to Machu Picchu and other scenic areas on the weekends! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

Anna
Temple University

Cusco, Peru Program

My experience with Maximo Nivel was so amazing and enriching. The staff that they have in the office was helpful and willing to answer any of my touristy questions about the city and needs as a volunteer at their placement. Overall they were so hospitable and ready to welcome new volunteers, and work with them to provide help to the surrounding communities in Cusco. I couldn't have asked for a better team of people to work alongside during my volunteering. They really try their best to engage you in the beautiful culture and immerse you in different programs that they hold each week so that you can leave Peru, not only having helped the people, but learned about their history and traditions as well. Without a doubt, I will hopefully be returning and recommend this program.

Geoff
Canada
University of the Witwatersrand

Family Volunteering - Construction and Animal Care in Cusco

We had a wonderful family volunteering experience with Maximo Nivel in Cusco - one week of construction and one week of working at the dog shelter. Both were very positive experiences for parents and teenagers alike.
We can´t say enough about the helpfulness and friendliness of the Maximo Nivel staff, they went out of their way to help us find our feet in Cusco and make sure we had everything we needed. The evening activities were also fun, we particularly enjoyed the Salsa lessons and craft sessions.
Our home-stay was also great, we had several interesting conversations with the family and learned a lot of Spanish in the process. We also enjoyed meeting and interacting with other volunteers.
The Holt Family

Joyce
Oakland, CA
California State University- San Marcos

Volunteering in Cusco was amazing!

We had a great time volunteering to teach English in Cusco! We were pleased with Maximo Nivel’s support and help during our month stay there. It was assuring to know we had a base to go to for help, advice, exchange money, make copies, get some supplies and coffee/tea and yummy sandwiches! Everyone working at Maximo was eager to assist us and always had a positive attitude. We really enjoyed our Spanish classes with Eliana and our program director Brittany. The most rewarding part was working at our school everyday and seeing how happy the kids were to see us as we were to see them. They were so eager to learn. We loved teaching them and doing some fun activities such as making slime! We also met some new friends during our homestay which was an added bonus. We also enjoyed all our adventures with America Inca Trail. Our overall experience was so rewarding and humbling and we thank Maximo Nivel for all their help. If you have a positive attitude, are proactive and flexible...any experience can be better than you ever thought. I hope to continue volunteering in different countries every summer break...

Homestay food can be better!

Tabish

Maximo allowed me to be the Curriculum Knight! 👨🏽‍🏫

I can't even begin to describe how amazing Maximo Nivel Peru has been throughout my volunteer experience!
From the moment I landed in Cusco, to the very last minute I took off, they have had nothing but smiles on their faces, and an eagerness to help and assist me throughout my volunteering experience and outside of it.
If you're looking to volunteer with an organisation, look no further. Adaptable, relatively economical, supportive and not to mention, absolutely incredible! I never expected teaching English to be as fulfilling or exciting as it was, and it was largely in part due to the care I received from Maximo Peru!
As a side note, huge shout-outs to the lovely faces who greeted me at the office every single day, specifically calling out Eveline (Thanks for being an awesome lead!), Brittany, Sylvia, Ninoska, Daniel & Angel (Last two not pictured cause they're too cool)!
In terms of my placement and opportunity, I was able to volunteer with a local school (Andino Bilingual) & Qosko Maki (A volunteer organisation) where I taught students the application of the English Language in addition to teaching them communication, teamwork, leadership and personality grooming! It was such an amazing experience and I had the ability to completely take ownership of and translate my efforts into real time sustainable impact for the people involved!
I'm leaving Cusco with a sustainable framework for implementing the functions I took ownership of to directly impact the community and I couldn't be happier!

Nick
California
University of Adelaide

Awesome time teaching English to very eager adults in Cusco!

After teaching English to young children in Bolivia(who were lovely but also a little too rambunctious at times!), it was a delight to teach such studious adults who were also so relaxed and enjoyed a good laugh. Classes varied between 6 and 8 students and many had worked long hours before class so it was inspiring to see how hard they worked so that they could improve their English and eventually improve their career opportunities down the line. Most classes are focused on speaking and listening which made it more fun and we shared a lot of good times. Thank you to Maximo and thank you to all the great students who we worked with at Qosko Maki!

Michael
Chicago
Loyola Marymount University

New Experience for me

My experience at Qosko Maki made me certain that I will pursue a degree in education in the future. The opportunity to teach adults in the community were specifically great to work with. The people at this project were so grateful to have us there and I felt like I was making such a great difference in their lives. These are people who will benefit so much from having this skill and I was glad to provide whatever I could. Thanks for the great opportunity Maximo!

Federico
Italy
Gonzaga University

Construction through Maximo Nivel

I was very happy that we got to work on a clinic and help the sick people in the community because I wasn't sure whether to do the medical volunteering or the construction and this gave me the opportunity to do both! We were given the opportunity to see how construction differed in Peru than it does back home and this is something that fascinated me. I want to come back at some point maybe to another Maximo location, to do more construction work or maybe child care.

Christopher
Orlando

Practical Medical Opportunity

I was so pleased with the medical work that we were able to do in for different parts of Peru. Throughout the time, we were able to see patients, do basic diagnostics, administer shots and even prescribe drugs (with the assistance of a very knowledgeable doctor). This is something that I never would have been able to do back in the United States as merely a premed student. What a cool opportunity this was for all of us. Thank you to Maximo for providing us with an experience which brought all of us closer together in a great way which helped many people in need.

Magdalena
Florida

Maximo Nivel in Cusco

I was initially very nervous to travel to Cusco and participate in the medical project that I had signed up for through my school in Florida. But the Maximo team made our stay so comfortable. When I got sick, our campaign organizer Dominic went with me to the clinic and made sure that I was taken care of. He was always there to help us with any problems we had and I really enjoyed getting to help the people in the community as well. I am excited to keep traveling after this experience!

Katie
Gainesville

Cusco Medical

A special shout out to our group leader, Dominic, and our medical campaign organizer, Dina, for making this such a special experience for our group. We all felt that this experience deepened our desire to become healthcare professions and we are hoping to do a similar program in Guatemala through Maximo Nivel next year. I also hope to return to Peru some day because I fell deeply in love with the culture and the people throughout my time.

Eliana
Florida

Medical Campaign with Maximo Nivel

The other volunteers and I were able to complete upwards of 30 hours helping over 500 people in 4 communities around Cusco. This was such a great experience! We were able to provide healthcare to people who, otherwise, might not have been able to afford it, and we were able to gain more practical skills in the medical field which, the majority of us hope to go into one day. I am very grateful to the entire staff of Maximo which made this such a memorable experience for all of us. Thank you!

Eric
Colorado State University

Maximo Nivel Cusco Spanish Classes

I took two classes a day of Maximo Nivel's native Spanish program for three weeks. The teachers were excellent as were the support staff and I was able to notice a large improvement in my ability to comprehend and speak Spanish. I think this class is a great way to learn a new language and help navigate Cusco and Peru! Even though I wasn't a volunteer there the facilities were great and the staff were always available to answer questions I had about classes, the city, and exploring the surrounding region.

More examples are always great!

Joe
Maryland
Loyola University Maryland

Volunteering at Clinic

I don't have enough good things to say about the staff at Maximo and at the Clinic I worked at. They were there for me through everything... even when I broke my leg on the last day. They helped me get the medical attention I needed and one of them, Dominic, even wheeled me through the airport when I was leaving in my cast. Such great people here. I really hope to come back to Cusco one day to do some more volunteering, hopefully through Maximo Nivel

Allie
Baltimore, MD, USA
Johns Hopkins University

Peruvian Adventures!

I had such an incredible time doing the medical volunteer program through Maximo. My group only spent 10 days in Peru, and did a week long volunteer project, but I feel like I got so much out of the experience. Several fellow nursing students and I spent five days working at the Centro de Salud in Chinchero. We really got to put our skills to the test - taking vitals, administering injections, doing wound care, assisting with prenatal and well child check ups, working in triage, and sharpening our Spanish skills. Kristi was our coordinator and she did an excellent job! Dina, the coordinator specifically for the medical sites, visited us every day and made sure we had what we needed. She is a Peruvian nurse and was very helpful in teaching us the ins and outs of the Peruvian medical system. In spite of our short visit, we also were able to travel and explore quite a bit. One perk of Maximo is they seamlessly partner with American Inca tourism agency; they're even in the same building. We took all our trips through them and had a blast. Even though I accidentally drove my ATV into a cactus (I really don't recommend doing that), I had an incredible time in Peru and can't wait to go back. The Maximo team provided excellent support for getting my (many, many) cactus wounds checked out, and set up an appointment for me with an English-speaking, Maximo-affiliated physician. I was extremely well taken care of. I plan to do another (hopefully longer) trip with Maximo when I am a registered nurse in a couple months and can contribute even more.

Robert
Ft. Lauderdale

Do This!!

Since I returned home I have told so many of my friends, family, and coworkers about this amazing experience I had in Peru.

When I arrived at Cusco airport, the first week of March and step outside into this cold, wet, and grey city I asked myself what the heck have I gotten myself into? By the end of the week I was so grateful to have been able to participate in this amazing experience, so grateful for the people I met, and so grateful that I was able to give. Although I am significantly older than the average participant age was never an issue as we were united in a common cause.

From the people I worked with, to Marco the head of the construction site, and to Maximo for handling every detail everything was well done. The work on the clinic, the activities sponsored by Maximo, and the free time to explore made this a one of many I want to do with them. If you are looking to volunteer for a week or weeks you couldn’t do it with a better organization than this. Thanks for one of the most memorable weeks of my life!!

Gidalti
Rhode Island

Great time

I really enjoyed this experience. From being with the other volunteers to working for the community. It's always great to travel to a new country, it's even better when you meet awesome people who share the same goal: to help while exploring. It was great to see the progress we were making in a much needed obgyn. The Peruvian culture is awesome, and it's landscape breathtaking. It was a very fun experience. The staff at Maximo were excellent. They were very helpful, "down to earth", and I appreciated them having activities to do after your placements. So there was always something to do. Would definitely do it again.

Andrea
USA
Fashion Institute of Technology

Construction Program with Maximo Nivel

From the moment I arrived in Cusco, I was lucky enough to meet the nicest people. I was a little nervous to go to another country alone to volunteer, but that quickly changed once I met the friendly and super helpful people at Maximo Nivel. I was greeted with a warm welcome by the staff who were eager to answer any questions I had. The wonderful people who work at Maximo not only became who we all could depend on, but they also became our friends.

Throughout my construction program, I had the pleasure of getting to know our Field Manager, named Dom, who would make frequent visits to the work site. He made sure that I was comfortable and happy with everything that I was doing in peru. I felt so lucky to have such an amazing person from Maximo to work with who was always so helpful and friendly!

Having an atmosphere that is so comfortable and positive, like the one at Maximo Nivel, makes all the difference in any situation. I came to Peru a bit nervous about what to expect, but when my final days in Cusco came, I did not want to leave. It felt like I was leaving my family!

Words cannot express how fantastic my time in Cusco was.  From the food to my host family, to all the amazing people I've met and the friendships I developed, my three weeks in Peru were ones that I will hold close to my heart.  I cannot thank Maximo Nivel enough for everything they have done for me.  I cannot wait to start my next adventure with them soon!

Cassidy
OH
University of Cincinnati

I Loved It!!

I absolutely loved Peru. I met some of the most amazing people while there. I have life-long friends because of this. The employees at Maximo Nivel are so caring and sweet. They are there to help. They took my friend to the hospital and got her stuff from our host family's house to help her out.
I did two projects while there. One was at a police station with youth that were either in trouble or ran away. We got to meet some pretty amazing kids that unfortunately went down the wrong path a little bit. We played games, learned some spanish, and even taught the kids some English!
The other project I took part in was at a women's shelter. While the mothers were learning skills, a few volunteers and I watched their children, helping them with school work and doing fun activities.

I think Maximo Nivel needs to establish stronger relationships with the community they are working with. A lot of places I volunteered at is more about quality and not quantity. This place seems to be a little different. They have tons of sites for everyone to go to, which is pretty amazing. The fact that they aren't as close with the sites means that volunteers working for the site get to establish a new, unique relationship, which is very unique in its own way. I do however feel that establishing stronger relationships with their networks and sites would allow them to be able to make an even bigger impact on the community.

Emily
CA
California State University

Lots of Fun

Let me start off by saying Cusco is an amazing place. There is so much culture and so many different activities to do there you will never be bored. The Maximo staff was extremely helpful and was always there if you had a question or just wanted to talk to someone. I also really enjoyed how they offered salsa classes, cooking classes and other activities to help you get to know other volunteers and to have fun. My living situation was also really nice and clean. We had one issue of not having hot water for about three days but we just talked to Maximo and they solved the problem for us. For volunteering, I volunteered at a childcare project called Juana de Aza. The kids here were super cute and the moms were really nice. Me and usually two other volunteers would watch the kids while the moms were down stairs cooking, doing laundry or other daily activities. My only recommendation would to not stay more than three weeks. I stayed for a month and had a great time but I was ready to go to another place after the second week. If I were to do it again I would stay in Cusco for two weeks and then travel to another country for the rest of my time. Overall I had an amazing time in Peru!

I think the program could do amazing things if they had plans and goals set up for each project. I completely understand that it is up to the volunteers to make the most out of the experience and to put in as much effort as possible, but most of the volunteers are young and honestly dont know what to do. If there was a plan to follow and a goal to strive for then all the volunteers would be on the same page. For example, in Juana de Aza there was absolutely no discipline for the kids. If there was a plan that all the volunteers and even the moms followed then the kids could learn structure and how to follow rules. If only one or two volunteers try to implement something like that they will get nowhere because as soon as they leave the kids will revert back to their old behavior.

Ana
San Antonio

Incredible!

I volunteered in Cusco, Peru for 3 weeks in the childcare project along with Maximo Nivel. I can without a doubt say that my time there was incredible! I appreciate that my placement was chosen according to my interests stated in my application because I was able to learn more than I expected! Everyone at Maximo was so nice and invested in helping you make the most of your time volunteering. Anytime I had a question or concern they were available to help. I wanted to start a fundraiser for the program I was working with and when I approached Maximo about it, they helped me every step of the way from creating the gofundme page to buying the donations! I highly recommend working with this organization!

Máximo Nivel (Maximum Level)—The Intercultural Center of Latin America

Máximo Nivel is a family-owned, social enterprise founded in 2003. Our three intercultural centers are locally-based organizations focused on international education and cross-cultural experiences. Our programs include: Volunteer Abroad, International Internships, TEFL Certification, and Spanish Language