Volunteer in Peru with Maximo Nivel - Best Rated Projects

Construction crew
Construction crew
Dog shelter
Dog shelter

Peru is one of the world’s richest countries in terms of natural resources. However, its social development has not kept pace with its commercial development, and Peruvians still wrestle with illiteracy and basic social justice. Peru works hard at self-improvement, making it an ideal place for international volunteers to get involved, contribute to sustainable programs, and provide help to vulnerable populations. There is no shortage of things to get done in Peru and international volunteers can truly learn to serve here.

Maximo Nivel provides volunteer abroad projects at our institute in Cusco, Peru, both in and outside of the city center. Projects are also available off-site in the Sacred Valley (mountains), the Amazon region (rainforest), and Quillabamba (rainforest), some of which are rural areas and offer a more “off-the-grid” experience than the city of Cusco. Volunteers always have the opportunity to serve in both urban and rural communities.

• New volunteer programs start every Monday year-round
  • All-inclusive—shared accommodations, meals, and many extras
  • 24/7 in-country support
  • Academic credit available
  • All-inclusive program fees from $645

Travel Grants Available for a Limited Time!

Ready to work as an English teacher abroad? Register today for our award winning TEFL Certification in Costa Rica, Guatemala and Peru and apply for a special travel grant.

Popular Programs

Homelessness and poverty have left many children in Latin America without access to proper education and a loving environment. Maximo Nivel’s childcare projects aspire to change children’s lives by providing caring and nurturing volunteers to work, study, and play with them.

Speaking English is a life-changing skill for people in developing countries, because the language opens both academic and professional opportunities, and provides a path out of poverty.

Your work may be focused on reforestation, organic gardening, wildlife and animal monitoring, trail maintenance, and educational workshops for local communities.

Maximo Nivel’s construction programs focus on community development. Construction projects may include building or repairing homes, adding classrooms to schools, or making structural improvements to clinics.

• Program Selection 10
  • Pre-departure Help 10
  • In-program Support 10
  • Impact on Student 10

Great experience

I loved working with the dogs. My experience was incredibly rewarding and the time I spent there felt impactful. The dogs were very receptive to any love and attention they received, and it was made apparent that a little would go a long way. I was able to work with individuals from all around the world and learn more about the culture in Peru. Everyone was very helpful and eager to share experiences, which made every moment worthwhile. Learning Spanish was challenging and exciting, and it was great to have the opportunity to practice the language on a daily basis.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
guinea pig - it tasted similar to duck with its own unique flavour

amazing experience

great impact working with the local communities! i thoroughly enjoyed meeting all of the local staff and very kind volunteers here with me. made lots of new friends, and gained a lot of experience. i would definitely come back to maximo to complete this project again, hopefully in the near future!
amazing local families and accommodation, felt right at home. enjoyed every moment and will be so sad to say goodbye to all of the amazing people that i have met during my time here. thankful for it all!

more involvement in different projects in the hospital
Jean

Such a rewarding experience!

I loved everything from our home stay to our project to the awesome classes available! Our home stay was so friendly and always encouraged us to speak Spanish and try the local food. She was like our second mother, so fun with a great sense of humor. The project was hard work but SO rewarding! Our project managers and sight managers were all very helpful and knew how to keep things light and fun. I can´t wait to see photo´s of the finished job and to see all the kids using what we had the privileged to build!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
We tried as much of the local food as possible!
Chicha, Guinepig and so much more.

A diverse learning experience

From start to finish, the construction project we volunteered at in Cusco, Peru was fantastic. The support staff and formal have clear motivation and excitement for what they are doing and it is contagious. Don´t get me wrong, the construction is not easy, but it is fulfilling and the camaraderie established during each work day is unforgettable. The local Peruvian family who hosted us was also fantastic. Basically a 2nd mother with a fantastic sense of humor. I would not hesitate to recommend this project to anybody looking to work with their hands and be immersed in a unique local culture.

Cuy (guinea pig)
Fried on a stick with herbs and spices.
Basically tastes similar to chicken.
Victoria

Maximo Peru

My time with Maximo was such a unique and unforgettable experience. I really loved working amongst the locals and learning how the medical system differentiates with the healthcare system back in my country. There were a lot of barriers that I was not prepared for, the biggest being the language barrier. Though stated on the Maximo website that the experience would be better with a higher Spanish level, it was extremely difficult for me to have the impact that I could have because there was no way to communicate with the workers at my clinic and no one to mediate the language barrier. Although by the end of the two weeks I volunteered I began to learn the ropes, it was definitely not long enough to feel like I had made an impact. For those who would like to go into the medical program in the future, I would suggest that they have a high level of Spanish if only staying for a short amount of time, such as myself.

Caitlyn

Construction Project Cusco

Very fun, hands on work. I loved that I could see the impact the volunteers and I were making. I got to meet a lot of amazing new people that share the same values as me but are different in many ways. Marco, the field manager was fun and a great teacher. I had never done construction before and I'm glad I got to learn new things. I would strongly recommend the construction project in Cuzco to anyone that wants to help out while they travel.

Caitlyn

Construction Project Cusco

the construction project was not only fun but really rewarding to be able to help others in a welcoming and helpful community. Even though i spoke very little spanish, the project manager marco was always helpful and funny. the only thing I would say to change would be to maybe encourage volunteers to have a basic-intermediate level in spanish because it would help them in many ways.
thanks!

only thing that could have maybe helped was a greater overview of the homestays by the maximo staff to ensure they are suitable.
Kevin

Child Care

I loved working with this kids,there is obviously room for improvement but Maximo is doing a great job with this program. I feel very happy to be a part of this program, and this was a very humbling experience for me. I will definitely be doing this again. Maximo really helped with everything I needed, and I will be recommending this to friends and family members. And I really hope to be a part of the maximo team in the near future because I see my self helping kids.

we need more sources for the kids, we need to educate them a bit better.
Tejbir

Maximo Peru

Overall it was a great time, with learning from great Spanish teachers and the mentors here at Maximo Cusco. Everyone was welcoming the program was organized and I was very pleased with the great I obtained in terms of language, socializing, and the rewarding impact I had working with the kids and teaching English. Overall I learned a great deal and the people here are rich with culture and it really helped me learn more as a student and travler. I will be back and look forward to doing my TEFL in the future to continue teaching english.

More booklets, and emails before hand explaining the structure of home stay and the other details.
Michael

Maximo is the best

This is a perfect opportunity for individuals to gain experience in any medical field they may choose. The hospitality and warm welcomes from the local people made this trip all that much better. I would recommend this to any group of students in our university. Our time here is something we will truly never forget; we will treasure the impact we’ve made on the local people forever. Hopefully I will be able to return as a fully practicing medical doctor!

Everything is perfect.
Ally

Cusco, Peru

I had a very good experience in Cusco! Everyone was so helpful and I loved my projects and Spanish classes! My host family was amazing as well. The house was always so clean, and the food was amazing. If I ever had any problems, Maximo always helped right away. They always wanted us to feel safe, happy and comfortable. Cusco is an amazing place to volunteer. I would highly suggest coming to Cusco, Peru!

Adam

3 Months Volunteering with Maximo

We came to Cusco not sure what to expect from the volunteer project. 3 months later and I am so thrilled that we had the opportunity to volunteer with Maximo in Cusco. We spent the majority of our time teaching English at a project called Qosko Maki. Our time teaching was such an increidble experience. The students were beautiful people and we were always well supported by Maximo staff and the project staff.
We then spent a week at the Panthera jungle project. This was an experience like no other, to be immersed in the Amazon jungle doing work that matters. The project staff are super passionate and very supportive. Definitely a week well spènt.
Very happy overall with our homestay and the service of Maximo´s staff. Can´t fault them!

My only issue was when we first commenced we were really thrown into the deep end. Not coming from a teaching background it was a bit intense. But the the Maximo staff and the Project staff were always very supportive.
Rebecca

Im Zoo arbeiten und Spanisch lernen

Von Februar bis Maerz 2018 habe ich mit Maximo Nivel 3 Wochen im Zoo in Cusco gearbeitet. Es war richtig schoen den Tieren so Nahe zu kommen- wir durften in die Kaefige rein und teilweise die Tiere mit der Hand fuettern.
Der Spanischunterricht war fuer mich richtig hilfreich, ich konnte vorher gar kein Spanisch und nun kann ich 4 Zeiten bilden und bin richtig stolz darauf.
Ich kann jedem der Zeit hat nur dieses Programm empfehlen.

Marisa and Zoo Leader had to learn more english .... it was sometimes difficult to communicate
jordan

Amazing

I loved every minute of my experience with Maximo Nivel! They do an excellent job working with their community and volunteers! I did the construction program and learned so much. My project felt worthwhile and the coordinator was great. My homestay was the best part of my trip. The family and other volunteers were amazing and I truly felt like I was at home.

Maximo does such an excellent job and I highly recommend their programs.

Claire

Amazing program!

I did the zoo\rescue center in Cusco for two weeks and it was amazing. Maximo Nivel did a great job to ensure our safety and made sure everything went really smoothly! Definitely would return. The staff was excellent, and offered great suggestions on what to do. The rescue center was amazing and I felt like I was really making a difference. Everyone was super supportive and I met tons of volunteers from all over. My host family was so amazing! They were really interested in our lives and really tried to make us feel at home.