African Impact - Volunteer Projects in Tanzania

By African Impact Reviewer Verified   Reviews (6)   98% Rating

Pair up with African Impact to start your volunteer experience in Tanzania, Africa! As east Africa's largest country, it holds a magnificent coastline, diverse wildlife, breathtaking scenery, and is home to Africa's largest mountain, Mt. Kilimanjaro. As a volunteer in Tanzania, you have the chance to make a difference at Tanzania's Local Women and Children Empowerment project.
Tanzania volunteer opportunities also take you across the sea to the beautiful island of Zanzibar where you can join the teaching projects, assist in community volunteer work or join our fantastic new Dolphin and Marine Conservation volunteer project.
Weekend and post-placement adventures can take you hiking to Africas highest peak, taking safaris, exploring magnificent snorkeling and diving spots, beautiful beaches and relaxing to the sounds of reggae island beats while sipping cocktails. Joining African Impact to do charity work in Tanzania is definitely an opportunity you don't want to miss!

View Program Information
$500 - $2,000 (USD)
$2,000 - $5,000 (USD)
See site for details.
Cost Description:

The volunteer fee for our projects not only covers your accommodation, all meals, transport and resources used while on project; but it also contributes to the development of new projects in communities and areas where help is needed, and gives us the ability to sustain our projects for the long-term. We also offer you 24 hour on the ground support and will collect you from the airport when you arrive!

Language:
Other,
Housing:
Guest House
Volunteer House
Travel:
Participants travel to the program independently (not in a group with other participants).
Application:

Leave a question about this program for our reviewers to answer.
Account Info
Great question! I'm sure you'll want to know when you get an answer, so tell us your email and we'll let you know. If you've previously created an account you can login in here.

Positive
Leave a Review
  • Eve
    Age: 25-30
    Chicago
    University of Illinois- Urbana-Champaign
    Amazing Experience
    04/14/2016

I have done 3 African Impact volunteering trips and found the Tanzania education program in Moshi to be the best run and planned for those interested in teaching. I loved the variety of activities that were still clearly scheduled- work with adult English education in the early morning, nursery students in the late morning, and the elderly in the afternoon. There were also opportunities to work with a women's group or teach English to the elderly. A real cross section of the population!

I also really appreciated how helpful and understanding the people at the project were about my other travels. I was able to get a discounted rate to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro for volunteering, and later was able to take a day off of work to travel to the Serengeti for the weekend, again at a discount, with one of their travel partners. My flight for that trip had to be canceled and rescheduled and the staff was super understanding and helped me with everything. It allowed me to accomplish some major life travel goals along with having the experience of living and working in Moshi. There are also options to travel on day trips and safaris on the weekends once you get there. I recommend Lake Chala- super cheap and easy. The photos I took there of the scenery were some of my favorite of the trip.

The way the program was set up allowed for consistency and continuity so I never felt like my help was for nothing. You are part of a system that has existed before you arrive and will exist after you leave so all of the people you work with and teach will continue to grow even after you leave. You also get to work in a room with a staff member- this is so nice. I teach for a living and having someone else in the room who knew the people I was working with made it such an easy transition. It felt like fun, not work.

Finally, I have been in contact with the program even though I have left. I love keeping up with the people I met and with the group itself on facebook. There is such a community of volunteers and it is clear how much the experience meant to everyone who was there.

How could this program be improved?

In hindsight, this was such a great program, I don't think there is really anything I would change. Issues like power outages, spotty internet, and mosquitoes are part of the territory and have nothing to do with the quality of the program they offer.

Photos:
    Games and exercise at the senior home.
    Teaching English to Swahili speakers with the help of permanent staff.
    Sewing and chatting at the weekly women's group meeting.
  • Michele
    Age: 31-50
    Melbourne, Australia
    Time of your life
    03/19/2016

When I decided to make this trip to Africa, I had no idea what to expect. Where do I start!!! I did the education and community project. The African lmpact people are so friendly, with an amazing attitude and passion for what they do.The projects were great as it was equipping the community with the skills the require through everyday life. The Maasai are amazing people with the ergerness to learn English . They are so lovely and have such a generous spirit. And the wazee(elderly)!!!! I will miss them dearly. And the little ones!! They run to you calling you name the minute you walk through the school gates.

I got a good balance between work an play as Africa has loads to to in your down time. I did an amazing safari while I was there and when climbed the Kilimanjaro to base camp. All organised through AI and their counterparts. One of the highlights was actually getting my hair done by the Maasai guys while I was there. It was soo cool.

And the food!!!! Oh boy!!! That was amazing!!!!
    Now words cannot express how good a month I had in Moshi with African Impact. The only way for you to find out Is to jump up and get yourself on this journey of a lifetime . I hope to get back again soon and hope to see you all there!!!!

How could this program be improved?

Honestly, based on my experience I say it was the best trip I've had and would not change a thing

• Eleni
    San Mateo
    Notre Dame de Namur University
    A memory of a lifetime
    10/02/2015

I had contemplated on going to Africa to teach for quite a few years. Until one day I finally realized that it wasn't going to happen unless I got the ball rolling. That is when I found African Impact. The entire process could not have run more smoothly. It was stress free and I felt very comfortable with entrusting them with everything in regards to my trip.

Once I arrived to the lovely town of Moshi, from day one I was welcomed and felt right at home. The entire staff was amazing and everyone is just a big family. We eat together, hang out together after school gets out, go to town together, and on the weekends sometimes go on excursions with one another. I could not wait to go and meet the kids either! You literally fall in love with them immediately. You really do form special bonds with some of the children as well; which makes it even harder to leave them everyday when school is out!

I cannot wait for their to be a point in my life where I can go back to Moshi and see everyone again. I miss it everyday.

Photos:
    Useful 2 Inspiring 0
  • Shannon
    Age: 25-30
    San Francisco, CA
    University of California- San Diego
    Jambo Jambiani!
    09/01/2014

After spending the last 3 weeks in Jambiani, Zanzibar, I'm having a really tough time leaving. The days flew by with nursery school visits in the morning (where you played with the cutest of cute children and fed them porridge), adult English classes in the afternoon, and my favorite, Kanga ladies in the early evening. The people are warm, friendly, and so appreciative; it makes the experience that much more inviting. Well that and the abundance of activities on the island.
    Though the island is conservative by nature, the project is the perfect combination of work and play... it's fun in the sun all weekend with snorkeling trips, scuba diving, dhow rides, scurfing, subwinging, sunset BBQs on private beaches, the list goes on... that's the magic of Zanzibar. This project is a MUST! Don't stay for anything less than three weeks, and enjoy every minute of it!

How could this program be improved?

More Swahili lessons so as to better immerse yourself in the community.

Useful 1 Inspiring 3
  • gcheckland
    Manchester, UK
    Manchester Metropolitan University
    Jambiani - The African Village That Stole My Heart
    05/03/2012

In just a few weeks I will be heading back to the volunteer project for the third time in just under 3 years!
    African Impacts project here, boosts the community in so many ways, if it is not teaching adults their ABC's or teaching children how to swim, it is cleaning the beach to make the village more attractive to tourists, or visiting the local diploma course on a Friday night to try the students fusion cooking. There is always some way to help the community, and they always make you feel like you belong.

Toni and Dulla are inspirations, having to cope with up to 15 volunteers coming and going constantly, with injuries, homesick people or just people who do not want to leave!

I could not recommend a more successful project than this, and if you ask my family they will definitely tell you that I do not shut up about this project.

I just have to say asante sana African Impact for introducing me to a country that I will never forget.

Useful 0 Inspiring 1
  • Stephanie
    Sint-Katelijne-Waver
    Second home
    05/03/2012

It was the most wonderful experience in my life so far. I would recommend it to everyone! It feels great to help te people and te community. You really feel important. And the most wonderful thing is when your kids from nursery school scream your name (Teacher Stephanie!)when they see you in the village. They really do need our help. It is really amazing what African Impact is doing there. It felt like a second home to me and I would love to go back (if I find the money :)). I really have a hard time getting used to my life back home. Africa was/is wonderful!

About the provider

African Impact is a multi-award winning volunteer travel organisation which runs and manages meaningful and responsible volunteer experiences and internship programs throughout Africa. The organisation was founded in 2004 in Zimbabwe, and since then has grown into the Africa leaders in volunteer tourism, having facilitated over 12,000 volunteers and interns in 12 countries across the continent.

We're proud to offer fun, safe and structured placements where volunteers understand their contribution to responsible projects run in partnership with local communities and conservation efforts. Our journey so far has been both inspiring and humbling and we will keep pushing the horizons of what volunteering can achieve.

Already have an account? .
Password must be eight at least characters.
Don't have an account? Sign Up.