African Impact - Volunteer Projects in Tanzania

By African Impact   Reviews (3)   97% Rating

Pair up with African Impact to start your volunteer experience in Tanzania, Africa! As east Africa's largest country, it holds a magnificent coastline, diverse wildlife, breathtaking scenery, and is home to Africa's largest mountain, Mt. Kilimanjaro. As a volunteer in Tanzania, you have the chance to make a difference at Tanzania's Local Women and Children Empowerment project.
Tanzania volunteer opportunities also take you across the sea to the beautiful island of Zanzibar where you can join the teaching projects, assist in community volunteer work or join our fantastic new Dolphin and Marine Conservation volunteer project.
Weekend and post-placement adventures can take you hiking to Africas highest peak, taking safaris, exploring magnificent snorkeling and diving spots, beautiful beaches and relaxing to the sounds of reggae island beats while sipping cocktails. Joining African Impact to do charity work in Tanzania is definitely an opportunity you don't want to miss!

Program Info

$2,000 - $5,000 (USD)
See site for details.
See Additional Information
Cost Description:

The volunteer fee for our projects not only covers your accommodation, all meals, transport and resources used while on project; but it also contributes to the development of new projects in communities and areas where help is needed, and gives us the ability to sustain our projects for the long-term. We also offer you 24 hour on the ground support and will collect you from the airport when you arrive!

Languages:
Housing:
Guest House
Volunteer House
Travel:
Participants travel to the program independently (not in a group with other participants).
Application:

San Francisco, CA
    University of California- San Diego
    Jambo Jambiani!
    09/01/2014

After spending the last 3 weeks in Jambiani, Zanzibar, I'm having a really tough time leaving. The days flew by with nursery school visits in the morning (where you played with the cutest of cute children and fed them porridge), adult English classes in the afternoon, and my favorite, Kanga ladies in the early evening. The people are warm, friendly, and so appreciative; it makes the experience that much more inviting. Well that and the abundance of activities on the island.
    Though the island is conservative by nature, the project is the perfect combination of work and play... it's fun in the sun all weekend with snorkeling trips, scuba diving, dhow rides, scurfing, subwinging, sunset BBQs on private beaches, the list goes on... that's the magic of Zanzibar. This project is a MUST! Don't stay for anything less than three weeks, and enjoy every minute of it!

How could this program be improved?

More Swahili lessons so as to better immerse yourself in the community.

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 3
  • gcheckland
    Age: 19-24
    Manchester, UK
    Manchester Metropolitan University
    Jambiani - The African Village That Stole My Heart
    05/03/2012

In just a few weeks I will be heading back to the volunteer project for the third time in just under 3 years!
    African Impacts project here, boosts the community in so many ways, if it is not teaching adults their ABC's or teaching children how to swim, it is cleaning the beach to make the village more attractive to tourists, or visiting the local diploma course on a Friday night to try the students fusion cooking. There is always some way to help the community, and they always make you feel like you belong.

Toni and Dulla are inspirations, having to cope with up to 15 volunteers coming and going constantly, with injuries, homesick people or just people who do not want to leave!

I could not recommend a more successful project than this, and if you ask my family they will definitely tell you that I do not shut up about this project.

I just have to say asante sana African Impact for introducing me to a country that I will never forget.

Useful: 0 Inspiring: 1
  • Stephanie Huybrechts
    Age: 19-24
    Sint-Katelijne-Waver
    Second home
    05/03/2012

It was the most wonderful experience in my life so far. I would recommend it to everyone! It feels great to help te people and te community. You really feel important. And the most wonderful thing is when your kids from nursery school scream your name (Teacher Stephanie!)when they see you in the village. They really do need our help. It is really amazing what African Impact is doing there. It felt like a second home to me and I would love to go back (if I find the money :)). I really have a hard time getting used to my life back home. Africa was/is wonderful!

Useful: 0 Inspiring: 0

About the provider

African Impact is a multi-award winning volunteer travel organisation which runs and manages meaningful and responsible volunteer experiences and internship programs throughout Africa. The organisation was founded in 2004 in Zimbabwe, and since then has grown into the Africa leaders in volunteer tourism, having facilitated over 12,000 volunteers and interns in 12 countries across the continent.

We're proud to offer fun, safe and structured placements where volunteers understand their contribution to responsible projects run in partnership with local communities and conservation efforts. Our journey so far has been both inspiring and humbling and we will keep pushing the horizons of what volunteering can achieve.