Volunteer Projects in Zambia with African Impact

Rich culture and adventure are abundant in this African nation, considered one of the safest countries in the world. Between exploring the world’s biggest waterfall, Victoria Falls, and enjoying the spectacular safaris on offer, you’ll love getting to know the people who call this paradise home.

Zambia is spoiled with ample sunshine and wandering predators. Get up-close and personal with chimpanzees and lions, or give something back to local communities in the form of sustainable buildings and classroom support.

African Impact's Top Volunteer Programs in Zambia

Impact

Paul

A very special place

Voluntering in Livingstone is very special, beqeause there is big variety of projects. So the chance is big that you see a lot of scenery and meet a lot of people. I'm on the medical project every morning we sometimes assist in clinics but mostly homebasecare. Thats when we visit different community's with a local caregiver who brings us to the patients that needs medical help and advise. This gives us also the oppertunity to see the peoples way of life and see a lot of different community's . That's why i think the medical project is very special, that the volunteers come so close to the people, they even invite us in there house to visit.
I really enjoy the homebasecare everytime, its like a cultural tour everytime. The caregivers tells us about the people and the community's, answer our questions and even learns us the local language. We follow up the patients every week, so its good to monitor them and see if there is any progress. And when there is a good progress it gives faith and trust in the " Medical relationship" Some patients give us such a very positive feedback and really appriciate what we do on the medical project.So i think on the medical we give a little impact, with the wounddressing, the medical advise and tips how to stay healty etc.
This time i am a academy volunteer, i am preparing lesson plans for readingclub and healthclub. That gives me the oppurtinity to learn and gain more experience with teaching. On readingclub i am teaching the lower group that just started learning english. And on healthclub we do a lot of health promotions and try to make it interactive with the kids.
The people in Livingstone are very nice and super friendly, the food is good and i Always felt safe. And if you have a talent share it with the staff and maybe you can create youre own workshop/lessonplan. I for example was teaching the kids breakdance and hiphop dance.

Delphine

Lost my heart in Africa

Tears of happiness when I look back to my adventure in Livingstone, Zambia. I am so thankful for the experience I had the past months. I’ve been there twice: last year 1 month on the Sports project and this year almost 2 months on the Girl impact. Both of them, were totally worth it! I made friends all over the world, I’ve been living with lovely locals, I’ve been helping poor kids and their families, I’ve done such great activities, I’ve seen beautiful world wonders... And all of this together with African Impact. The staff is very friendly and always there to help you with anything. Not only when we were out of projects but also in the weekends. We got to know them and did activities together where we had lots of fun! It felt like a real family and we could share all the fun but also emotional and sad moments together. I liked all projects but especially the Girl Impact was my favorite. We have a girls club, boys club and a womens group. It’s always the same group we were teaching so you really got to know them and it’s nice to see them grow and become more open and comfortable with certain subjects. We taught them about diseases, pregnancy, health, feelings... These are all subjects they don’t really learn about in school and they can’t really talk about with their parents but it’s very important to teach them. For example: to avoid pregnancy. We were always well prepared together with our coordinators and we tried to make every lesson fun with some instructive games. In the end we did some tests and you could really see that they learned a lot. They knew a lot more then in the beginning of the lessons. In every project we did, you could feel the impact we made and we could see the kids being happy. I think that’s the most beautiful feedback you can get.
I can’t even describe how happy and grateful I am. It’s been so heartly overwhelming and I’ve opened my eyes. I learned what real life is and how to enjoy every single moment. I take this life lesson with me and hope to inspire other people. Stepping out of your comfortzone is good. You get to know yourself and you learn how to handle in certain situations. This was my first big trip abroad, but not my last! Livingstone will definitely see me again and I hope to discover more beautiful places. Thank you to everyone who made this trip so wonderful! And very much thanks to African Impact.
See you soon Africa, Zikomo❤️

Response from African Impact

Hi Delphine,

Thank you for these beautiful words. We'll make sure to keep your heart safe here in Africa until you return to us. Keep us updated with what you get up to next!

The African Impact Team

Indy

Girl Impact

It was an amazing experience. They gave me the opportunity to learn so much and really implement all my own ideas and knowledge into the programme. Apart from that we also had these incredible weekend trips and a real community within the lodge.

This project also helped me with my personal growth in a lot of ways. I was/am very shy with standing in front of a group of people. But since all the children were eager to learn and the co-volunteers so kind I learned how not to be afraid. Also, me and children were never really the biggest match. I was always afraid I wouldn't know how to handle or understand them, luckily I learned that children aren't so hard to connect with. These kids were just little angels.

Make it more clear when there's a public holiday, a lot of children were not in school.
Response from African Impact

Hi Indy,

Again, thanks for this awesome feedback. We'll share this with our team.

Flavio

A wonderful experience

The time spent in Livingstone (Zambia) with African Impact has been incredible.
I don't want to call it a once-in-a-lifetime experience because you can and, most probably, you will do it again during your life. After living an experience like this I can guarantee that the will to volunteer again will be so strong that the chances for you to do it again are really high.
And once you will see that even the little help you could give could mean really a lot for many people you will be even more motivated to get involved in this kind of wonderful experiences.

Jenni

African Impact - Zambia

I was on the African Impact building project for three weeks and loved every minute of it. You get to work with so many different people and really see the impact you are having in their lives, both through your chosen project and for the extra time spent reading with a child or playing sports. On top of the volunteering, you get to experience and learn about the Zambian culture as well as explore the country, for example, by going on safari or doing a bridge swing over Victoria Falls.

Response from African Impact

Hey Jenni,

We really loved having you. Thanks so much for your contribution to Linda Farm and the other communities around Livingstone. Keep in touch!

Sander

One of the best experiences in my life

I was a bit nervous when before I came, since I was traveling alone. But the moment I got picked up at the airport, it went away.
I'm so thankful of all the amazing people I got to meet, and all the kids I got to know.
Everybody there was great, the drivers, cooks, guards, cleaning ladies, everybody was so nice and genuine.
Being in a classroom and teaching the kids something new, or when they finally understand how to solve a math piece, I reaction and feelings is priceless!

Response from African Impact

Hey Sander,

Thank you for putting those fears aside and for joining us in Livingstone. You were an amazing team member! Keep in touch!

Kristie

Zambia - building project

I had never been to third world country. I loved the experience and would love to come back and work in the same project I really felt I made a positive impact. I have sponsored a child since returning home. The team were amazing and I felt very comfortable throughout my stay. Changing of money could have been explained better as I was told credit card were widely accepted and I had to withdraw more than expected. Prearranged taxi costs is a good tip for people so they don't get ripped off.

Need more tools and equipment.
Response from African Impact

Hey Kristie,

Thank you for this feedback - we'll be sure to chat to our team about it. We're so glad that you took the plunge and had the experience that you did. Thank you for continuing the good work from back home and going #beyondvolunteering. Please keep in touch with us!

Kira

Zambia stole my heart

Going over to Zambia was my first trip to Africa, and I feel it embodies the spirit of the continent. From the joy that the people had, to the beautiful savannahs we walked through going from home to home on the medical team it was everything I could have dreamed of. The staff on the project were warm and welcoming, the community liaisons were helpful and willing to show us their lives outside of the volunteer house adding a rich context to the entire experience. The friendships I made in Livingstone will last a life time. The country of Zambia and its people stole my heart, and it is safe to say that I will be back again one day.

Response from African Impact

Hey, Kira

Your photos attached are beautiful! We're so happy to read this feedback and that you had a lovely time. Keep us in the loop, and we hope to see you in the near future.

inne

A lovely experience

The staff in Zambia are really amazing. As soon as you arrive they are there to help you. They make sure you are comfortable from day one. Every time I think back about my time in Zambia I get a smile on my face.
The connections you make with the locals and especially with the children you work with are so special and amazing. There different afternoon projects where you switch in, what is really nice. And the best part is that I you really like a afternoon project, you can ask to do it more often. I had that with the math club. I really love the math club

Response from African Impact

Hey Inne,

It's so lovely to hear this feedback. Thank you for joining us in Livingstone, and for putting so much effort into math club. Keep up to date with our achievements from math club on our website so you can see your impact.

Keep in touch.

Carolyn

Great experience

I adored my time in Zambia and would love to go back! It was a lovely experience and I learned so much. It is a little costly however, you do get a good experience so it’s worth saving up for. Lots of amazing activities to do in the local area and the staff are lovely. They do lots to support you and make sure you have a good time. The accommodation is basic but still good and I would definitely recommend.

Slightly lower cost.
Response from African Impact

Hey Carolyn,

Thank you so much for joining us in Livingstone! We do have a slightly higher cost than our competitors but we know that this is reflected in the quality of our projects and the experience provided to volunteers. We're really glad to hear you had a great experience and hope to see you again with us soon!

Ian

African Impact, Livingstone, Sports programme

Being on the sports programme run by African Impact in Livingstone has been a trully incredible experience, and I have loved every minute of it. It has been special because I have seen the children we have been teaching really improve in their sporting ability, whilst also seeing the attitude and enthusiasm of the children really develop. When I first arrived the PE programme we were teaching was being changed so that there was much more of a focus on skill improvement rather than just playing games. This was a bit challenging to start with as it was different to what the children were used to, but seeing where the kids are now and how keen they are to learn new sports has made it all worth while.
It has been great volunteering for African Impact because they really play to your strengths and put you on projects you want to be on and the ones where you can do the most to help. For example, rugby is my favourite sport so I was placed on the tag rugby sessions for the Grade 6 girls from Linda. I loved this project as it was great fun every week and I saw an incredible improvement in the girls rugby over my 3 months there. What also made this project my favourite was the enthusiasm from the girls, every session would be at least 2 hours long, yet they would always want to carry on and do more. From a personal standpoint this really motivated me to make the sessions as good as possible.
Whilst the sports projects were my favourite, I still loved the many other projects available at Livingstone. On days when I did not have any sport on I was able to help out on building projects where we were building a wall at the school made out of eco-bricks. This was really nice to do because you could see the benefit of the hard work being done. There was also educational projects such as reading club, which was great fun and very rewarding. On reading club we would assist a small section of certain classes whose English skills were behind their classmates. This was a great project as the kids were so enthusaistic and it was awesome to see their English skills improve so much.
The accomodation with African Impact was fantastic, the backpackers we were based at had everything you could want. There was a bar, which was great for socializing with the other volunteers, a pool, and very good rooms. We were also located in Livingstone, so we were only 10 miniutes away from Victoria Falls and unbelivable weekend activities such as white water rafting, safaris and going to Devil's pool.
I cannot reccomend African Impacts Livingstone project highly enough as it was 3 of the best months of my life.

Response from African Impact

Hey Ian,

We're so glad to hear you had a wonderful time and that you could share your love for rugby. Please keep in touch and we hope to see you soon!

Lizzie

One of the best months ever

I went to Livingstone in July 2017 for 4 weeks to volunteer on the Medical programme. I'm currently studying Medicine in the UK so I was looking for somewhere to go to experience healthcare in a completely different way. I absolutely loved my experience - doing home-based care most mornings was an amazing way of meeting locals, experiencing their homes and lives and delivering medical advice, basic medicines and referrals to the local clinics. I would love to go back again in the future, particularly once I'm a qualified doctor so I could do more and would have a greater experience base to draw on. All the African Impact and Happy Africa staff are lovely, and very organised. Everything ran smoothly and all the volunteers got on so well. Livingstone is an amazing place to be staying as there is so much to see and do, and the local people are so welcoming and kind. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone - my only regret is that I couldn't stay longer!

Ryan

The Experience of a Lifetime

During my time with African Impact, I felt well taken care of, informed, and useful. The program did an excellent job balancing work with fun. Everyone I interacted with was very kind and supportive. Livingstone, Zambia is a wonderful city although small in size. It's very close to Victoria falls and numerous other tourist attractions. The falls are absolutely breathtaking (that's an understatement). I also had the opportunities to go on a safari and go white water rafting on the weekends. Both experiences I would highly recommend. The volunteer work I did was meaningful and I genuinely felt as if I made a positive impact while volunteering with African Impact. My experiences with African Impact definitely put things into perspective for me and absolutely changed the trajectory of my life. The volunteer projects you can work on are diverse and can provide anyone with a variety of experiences. I think it was the variety of experiences that changed me the most. I highly recommend this program for anyone considering it. The people staying at the hostel were also a huge part of why this experience was so special for me.

inne

Volunteering in Livingstone, Zambia

In total I volunteered for 4 months in Livingstone, Zambia on the teaching and the sports project. And it was an amazing experience!
It was my first time volunteering abroad and I never suspended so much support. The staff is always there to help you. And they are also always up for fun activities in the evenings and the weekends. From quiz nights to movie nights and even just simple game nights.
The projects are amazing. You feel that you really make an impact and especially when you volunteer for a longer time.
You work in a beautiful community, with a lot of lovely people.
It was definitely the best first experience with volunteering abroad.
I will for sure go back to Livingstone, they stole my heart!!

Lizzie

Medical volunteer

I absolutely loved the month I spent in Zambia with AI. I was on the medical project and the home-based care which we did most mornings was really interesting, and getting to see people in their homes was definitely a highlight. When we revisited people we were able to see an improvement as a result of the advice, medication and clinic referrals that we gave so it was very rewarding. The afternoon projects were varied and fun - I go to have a go at teaching, farming, sports and after-school games all of which I really enjoyed! The staff team are amazingly enthusiastic and friendly, and they make sure that everything runs smoothly. Livingstone is also a great place to be in terms of the free weekends we had - I got to go on safari, go to Victoria Falls, go on a walk to find rhinos, camp on a boat overnight, feed elephants at the Elephant Cafe and lots more! I made some great friends and was amazed at how much we were able to genuinely help in the communities around Livingstone - I would 100% recommend this project to anyone!

About African Impact

African Impact pioneered responsible volunteer travel in Africa back in 2004 and have since grown into the largest provider of volunteer projects on the continent. Proudly African, they work hand-in-hand with local communities to establish, develop...