Volunteer Projects in Zambia with African Impact

Follow in the footsteps of intrepid explorer David Livingstone, and let loose the intrepid adventurer in you when you visit Zambia! Rich culture and adventure are abundant and beautiful landscapes and wildlife are never in short supply in this beautiful landlocked African nation.

Lizzie

One of the best months ever

I went to Livingstone in July 2017 for 4 weeks to volunteer on the Medical programme. I'm currently studying Medicine in the UK so I was looking for somewhere to go to experience healthcare in a completely different way. I absolutely loved my experience - doing home-based care most mornings was an amazing way of meeting locals, experiencing their homes and lives and delivering medical advice, basic medicines and referrals to the local clinics. I would love to go back again in the future, particularly once I'm a qualified doctor so I could do more and would have a greater experience base to draw on. All the African Impact and Happy Africa staff are lovely, and very organised. Everything ran smoothly and all the volunteers got on so well. Livingstone is an amazing place to be staying as there is so much to see and do, and the local people are so welcoming and kind. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone - my only regret is that I couldn't stay longer!

Ryan

The Experience of a Lifetime

During my time with African Impact, I felt well taken care of, informed, and useful. The program did an excellent job balancing work with fun. Everyone I interacted with was very kind and supportive. Livingstone, Zambia is a wonderful city although small in size. It's very close to Victoria falls and numerous other tourist attractions. The falls are absolutely breathtaking (that's an understatement). I also had the opportunities to go on a safari and go white water rafting on the weekends. Both experiences I would highly recommend. The volunteer work I did was meaningful and I genuinely felt as if I made a positive impact while volunteering with African Impact. My experiences with African Impact definitely put things into perspective for me and absolutely changed the trajectory of my life. The volunteer projects you can work on are diverse and can provide anyone with a variety of experiences. I think it was the variety of experiences that changed me the most. I highly recommend this program for anyone considering it. The people staying at the hostel were also a huge part of why this experience was so special for me.

inne

Volunteering in Livingstone, Zambia

In total I volunteered for 4 months in Livingstone, Zambia on the teaching and the sports project. And it was an amazing experience!
It was my first time volunteering abroad and I never suspended so much support. The staff is always there to help you. And they are also always up for fun activities in the evenings and the weekends. From quiz nights to movie nights and even just simple game nights.
The projects are amazing. You feel that you really make an impact and especially when you volunteer for a longer time.
You work in a beautiful community, with a lot of lovely people.
It was definitely the best first experience with volunteering abroad.
I will for sure go back to Livingstone, they stole my heart!!

Lizzie

Medical volunteer

I absolutely loved the month I spent in Zambia with AI. I was on the medical project and the home-based care which we did most mornings was really interesting, and getting to see people in their homes was definitely a highlight. When we revisited people we were able to see an improvement as a result of the advice, medication and clinic referrals that we gave so it was very rewarding. The afternoon projects were varied and fun - I go to have a go at teaching, farming, sports and after-school games all of which I really enjoyed! The staff team are amazingly enthusiastic and friendly, and they make sure that everything runs smoothly. Livingstone is also a great place to be in terms of the free weekends we had - I got to go on safari, go to Victoria Falls, go on a walk to find rhinos, camp on a boat overnight, feed elephants at the Elephant Cafe and lots more! I made some great friends and was amazed at how much we were able to genuinely help in the communities around Livingstone - I would 100% recommend this project to anyone!

Joe

The time of my life

My time on the teaching and community project has forced me into shamelessly and regularly deploying two cliches: I had the time of my life and I learnt so much more from them than them from me.

Truly, it was the most important, character building and enjoyable month of my life and certainly the best decision I ever made to volunteer with African Impact. Fantastically kind and enthusiastic staff, magical locals and inspirational moments throughout. I love Zambia, and I love African Impact. Please go.

It is very difficult to think about how I would change the program itself, it really does function well. One thing that I do think would be valuable, however, would be to push former volunteers to promote African Impact more immediately after they finish. When I consider how wide a net the demographic of volunteers covered geographically, I think they could really continue to make their impact after their stay if they were armed with a promotional pack and incentive and confidence to fly the flag at home upon their return. That said, there is a fantastic Ambassador program that all former volunteers have access to that does this, just in a less pushy fashion.
Belinda

Melting Pot

This was an awesome experience with the locals as well as all the volunteers I met who came from all over the world. Norway, Italy, Kenya, Honduras, Guatemala, Netherland, Germany, London, Brazil, Zambia, New York, Ireland, and more. Absolutely awesome

Better quality and Quantity of food for volunteers
Caitlin

Zambia volunteering

I volunteered in Zambia for African Impact for 2 weeks. It was an eye opening experience that I will always carry with me. Going to schools like Mwandi and meeting the young kids was amazing. I loved playing net ball and seeing how excited they were to compete and just enjoy a PE session. After school programs were also super fun. Math club with races to guess the correct answer and the old people home where we played Jenga and uno were always entertaining. It was the best trip I have ever taken, and I would not hesitate to return if given the opportunity!

Maybe more social outings during the week like the sunset watch! More organization between schools to maximize time with the kids would also be helpful.
Kristen

One of the best experiences of my life so far!

I loved volunteering with AI and would go back in a heartbeat. I got to see real day to day life in several schools, clinics, and communities through the volunteer work and got to meet so many great people along the way. It was so much fun to work with the kids at the different schools each day and it always felt like everyone involved was getting something positive out of it. All of the Zambian people I encountered we're welcoming and kind to the volunteers.

I felt that this project allowed for a good balance between work and play. Along with the amazing experiences in the community through the volunteer projects, I was also able to take part in a lot of cool activities - going to Vic falls, canoeing, white water rafting, going on safari...

The accommodations were well-kept, the food was always great, the staff is very friendly and helpful, and I always felt safe there. I don't have many complaints about my time there - just that two weeks was too short of a trip!

Better communication with/from some of the schools would be helpful so volunteers know how many grades, what ages, etc to expect and could therefore better plan for the day.
Carleen

Jump right in

I'm sitting in front of the computer screen here wondering how to write a review that can do African Impact justice. Although any experience amounts to what you put into it, my time with African Impact was more meaningful than I can begin to explain. It started with walking into the accommodations and meeting the staff and other volunteers. Almost immediately, all of my worries about the first day were gone. Everything from the meals, to laundry, to weekly activities are organized and inclusive and make you feel right at home. I took part in a sports development project and the incredible relationship that African Impact has in the community shone through. It was important to me to be able to jump right in and African Impact made that step seem effortless. As soon as you have to pull away in the van to head back for lunch, you are already counting down the minutes before you can jump right back into the fun! One of my most memorable moments was helping run a session for the local tag rugby team at the sports centre one afternoon, and the next morning, heading to the school and seeing the kids I had learned to play tag rugby with the day before. I couldn't help but think that this is exactly where I needed to be. Whether we were playing Uno at the Old People's Home or picking up a few good soccer moves from the kids, it didn't matter what time it was or what day of the week it was, all that mattered was doing something that mattered in that moment. Incredible trip.

I would not change anything about the program, but I would suggest that volunteers looking to stay for shorter periods of time (2-3 weeks) for any reason, consider an extra few weeks if at all possible. I wish I had known that 2 weeks would fly by like it was yesterday, however this was a personal learning curve that I am hope by sharing - will lead to new volunteers opting for longer stays...the community and the follow up is incredible.
Stephanie

Livingstone Teaching & Community Project

Volunteering with African Impact in Livingstone was an amazing experience. I had great expectations about the trip, and these were exceeded! Volunteering in the teaching and community project was a perfect way to be involved with the local people and see many aspects of their daily lives in Livingstone. I taught in a grade six class every morning during the week, and then in the afternoons we were assigned in groups to different projects, such as farming, reading club, or playing games with the elderly at the Maramba Old People's Home. Something I had not expected so much was the social life outside of the volunteer projects. Some of us would go play volleyball with the locals every Tuesday and Thursday, and socialize during Happy Hour on Fridays, with some dancing to follow at one of the local bars! We also were able to visit Victoria Falls in the evenings or weekends, and a group of us also went on an overnight safari trip to Botswana. And I cannot forget walking with the lions at the Lion Encounter! I will never forget my experience in Livingstone, especially the children and the people, who all open their hearts to you. I cannot wait to return one day!

Jaikrishnan

Lion Encounter Project

I never thought i could walk side by side with a lion and what an amazing experience it was! Unfortunately the numbers are declining and the project still seems to be in it's first steps, it is a step in the right direction. The staffs and organisers aim to let volunteers have a true and controlled exposure and experience and it was thoroughly enjoyable. An experience i would not forget for the rest of my life definitely!

Accomodation and food.
Matt

Teaching Project in Livingstone

Words can't really describe how unbelievable my experience with African Impact was. The staff are amazing, Livingstone is beautiful and so are the people, the accommodations are lovely, the food is great and above all you make a genuine impact in children's lives. You are assigned to a school and go into a specific classroom to help support a local teacher. In the time that you are there you will forge unforgettable relationships with your kids and hopefully leave a long lasting impact! Bottom line is: African Impact in unbelievable and you have to do it!

Libby

Wish I could have stayed forever!

I spent two weeks at Lion Encounter and it was incredible. The staff was wonderful, the guides LOVE their lions, I met the incredible people from all over the world and made new life long friends. I read a past review of someone who didn't feel safe as a woman traveling alone and I always felt very safe at Lion Encounter. I was always treated with respect and kindness. The accommodations are rustic but suitable, hot showers only last about 3 minutes, food was good, lots of down time to relax (a pool would be great!) I enjoyed some of the other great things in the area; a bungee jump, micro flight over the falls, and a traditional English Tea at the Royal Livingstone Hotel. I should have stayed longer though, at least 3 weeks. I hope that this program can continue to raise money and build larger enclosures for the lions that no longer go on walks. They have close to 50 lions at the project and many of these lions have to get out in to the wild or at least to larger areas where they can roam more freely. It takes time and I wish them nothing but the best to raise the funds they need. I'll be back!!

As I said above I worry about the lions that no longer go on walks and are still living in smaller enclosures. Being someone who has worked at a zoo for 20 years, it almost is like you have a "zoo" there. The enclosures are somewhat big which is good. I don't think there is enough enrichment done for those lions as we made the same toys for them over and over. I understand why you can't use anything artificial but since there are no immediate plans to release them and they may never be released I think some other things to keep them stimulated would be good to avoid stereotypic behaviours. When people clean the enclosures they should try and rearrange the habitat as much as possible as well so the lions always have something to explore. I know your resources are limited but there are always things you can do...even if it's just little changes here and there. **I had no idea that I was going to be working with tourist on Lion Walks - you should really mention that in the description. Maybe you do and I missed it?
qyan

Amazing experience

I joined this programme this year. To be able to get a chance to take care of the loins and to build the connection with the lions are just incredible. I also get a chance to help the local community, such as attend the book club to teach English to the primary students. Staff there are super helpful and friendly. And don't even need to mention that I got to see the spectacular Victoria Fall. This programme really worth the time and the money. You get more than you put in.

Louisa

Most Amazing

This program is doing so much to help reduce and one day eliminate the decline of the African Lion. They are on the up and up with a friendly staff and an amazing mission. I wish them much success! Highly highly recommended program. Looking to go back soon!

The only thing I would have liked to know prior to going would be to have known that we were to work everyday 7 days a week. I was not prepared as I was assuming we'd work 5days a week with two off. It got a bit overwhelming two weeks in it can get exhausting but they do give you a chance to take time off. I just wasn't properly prepared mentally for the continuous work days.

About African Impact

African Impact is a multi-award winning volunteer travel organisation which runs and manages meaningful and responsible volunteer experiences and internship programs throughout Africa. The organisation was founded in 2004 in Zimbabwe, and since then...