• Zambia
1 week

Program Details

Short Term Spring Break Summer Winter Year Round
Groups
Small Group (1-15) Medium Group (16-30) Large Group (31+)
Travel Type
Budget Family Older Travelers Solo Women

Pricing

The price reflects a 10-day placement inclusive of accommodation, meals, mentorship and training, support and transfers. For a full list, chat to us!
What's Included
Accommodation Airport Transfers Equipment Meals Transportation Wifi
What's Not Included
Activities Airfare Domestic Airfare SIM cards Travel Insurance Visa
Jan 20, 2022
May 04, 2022
30 travelers are looking at this program

Livingstone, Zambia is a beautiful, rural town that many call “the real Africa.” Just a stone’s throw away from one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World – Victoria Falls – Livingstone is the ultimate playground for those who love adventure sports, wildlife, and the great outdoors.

There are many national parks where you can observe lions, rhinos, hippos, crocodiles, elephants, and giraffes, and often, we spot some of these animals along the road on our way to project!

Working closely with the African Impact Foundation, our Zambia volunteer programs focus on empowering, educating, and enriching Zambian citizens. As a Zambia volunteer, your work will be integral to uplifting locals in sustainable and measurable ways. We currently offer volunteer programs in Zambia in the following areas: Medical Volunteering, Teaching, Environmental Sustainability, Sports Coaching, and Female Empowerment.

Program Highlights

• Bring a fun, creative and dynamic approach to delivering sport lessons to children of primary school age
  • Be immersed into the community and help to empower and influence all ages with a sense of self-worth
  • Observe progression, improved skills and confidence amongst the local children first hand
  • Teach lessons on physical health and general life skills at schools, focusing on issues like hygiene, nutrition, communication and teamwork
  • Visit the majestic Victoria Falls, also known as “The Smoke that Thunders” and enjoy some of the amazing tourist activities that Livingstone has to offer

Program Impact

Our programs in Zambia offer volunteers various opportunities to get involved in community projects, from supporting gender equality initiatives to promoting environmental sustainability. Working closely with local community members, African Impact staff, and fellow volunteers, you’ll make a difference in tackling the intense developmental issues Zambians face each day.

• 9-10 rating 98.04%
  • 7-8 rating 1.96%
Anna

Zambia Medical Program

I really enjoyed my time with Africa Impact in Zambia. It was great to experience the culture and the team in African impact really helped with this from hosting cultural dinner, to cultural talks and hosting a mock Zambian wedding. I really enjoyed helping on in the community and feeling like I made a difference even if it was small. As well as learning and getting involved in the Zambian culture it was a great experience to meet volunteers from around the world and learn about their cultures and traditions also.

Pros
  • Experiencing the Culture
  • Meeting people from around the world
  • Helping others
Susan

Healthcare/Community Outreach Livingstone Zambia

This was my first time volunteering overseas and I wasn't sure what to expect. My first day I was warmly welcomed and cheered by the volunteers and staff and felt quite at home almost immediately. The work ( home-based healthcare, clinic and community outreach) felt rewarding and appreciated, the local people were so warm and friendly and the accommodations beautiful and cozy. Weekends were filled with hiking at Victoria Falls, safari, dinners out, local shopping and hanging by the pool. Also the food was delicious! I left with a strong sense of community and much sadness. I wished I'd signed up for more time!

Pros
  • experiencing a culture so unlike my own
  • doing meaningful necessary work
  • being a part of a caring fun community
Cons
  • WiFi was definitely spotty
Wiktoria

Amazing weeks teaching in Livingstone

I had an amazing time here in Zambia volunteering with African impact! As I earlier have been volunteering with other organisations, I must say that AI was the best one yet :) The staff makes you feel like a part of this amazing family. Everyone is super friendly, helpful and encouraging. Loved my teaching experience here, not only at the main school I worked at but also at the different afternoon projects that we held as well.
If I could describe my experience as three main things, it would be: super organised, lovely people and helped me grow <3

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Because I’m not a teacher by profession just decided to do this on my gap year I must say: teaching fully packed classes in different subjects by myself. I quickly realised it was about confidence and feeling comfortable. The staff and fellow volunteers helped me greatly with that and it quickly became one of the best experiences ever! So yeah maybe that if you don’t count the bungee jump at Victoria Falls… ;)
Daniel

Livingstone, more like Living...home

Never in my life have I felt like I actually did anything worthwhile before coming here for only two short weeks. The work on the medical project with African Impact was low stress and good practice for anyone interested in the medical field. The amount that I learned about the culture here alone and cultural sharing is enough to say that I had a successful trip. After these two weeks in leaving with a new vigor to pursue the change that we need to see all over the world. I'll never forget the people I met and the expiriences here.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I had the Nshima with the rap greens. I'm not sure what it was exactly, but it was delicious.
Chiamaka

Community project

I had a great time dealing with patients in the community. Everyone was really welcoming and the African impact team in zambia were just amazing.
Also the teaching projects in the afternoon made a huge impact. I’m really glad I was part of it and got to experience teaching kids, playing games.
There are a lot of tourist attractions and livingstone was the perfect spot, from feeding giraffes and doing a walking safari to iverccoming my fear my going on a helicopter ride. I must say that this was a 10/10 experience

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I did a helicopter ride and also got to see giraffes walking about resorts and had the opportunity to feed them.
Britta

Health Care Sambia

This project is so important because the people in the community needs the help of African Impact. It was great to see, how good wounds were after 4 weeks regulary desinfections and dressing. The Zambian people are so friendly and grateful for everything the volunteers do. All other African Impact projects are also important for the communities. If they don't have enough volunteers, the health project will be reduced to a minimum, which is devastating for the patients. The team in Livingston is great. I felt like in a family in the first minute what I didnt have expected. For me it was a very interesting experience. Although I'm older, I learned a lot for myself there and took it with me.
It is so important to support African Impact to help the people there

get involved with the wonderful people there and help where you can
Rebecca

Excellent experience with African Impact

The team at African Impact are seamlessly integrated into the local community in Livingstone and from the first day you feel supported, safe and eager to contribute. The projects are designed in collaboration with the local community and have really clear goals which helps you to see how your efforts can have an impact, both in the short and long term. There are so many things to do in Livingstone, and by far the best part is getting to know the incredibly friendly and generous people who live here.

Jump straight in! The more you put in the more you get out of the experience.
Sylke

A life-changing experience!

My time in Livingstone, Zambia was unforgettable! I volunteered at the teaching project during school holidays. African Impact organised a holiday club for the children in Libuyu for keeping them busy during school holidays and keeping them off the streets. The children were divided in two groups: 1-4th grade and 5-7th grade. However, the groups were very big (40 children each) it was really fun to work with the children. Annie, the teaching and sports coordinator, did such a good job! During the first days you can choose to assist her to get introduced and used to the teaching methods, and if you're ready for it you can take up more responsibilities. There is also the opportunity to switch between teaching and sports. The sports project is organised together with a local staff memeber, Chiza, who is doing an amazing job with the children. Everyday there is another subject, for instance history, geography, maths, english, eco-art, etc.

In the afternoon, there is a wide range of community projects and Sjeel, the project manager, makes sure that you can get a taste of each of them. If you have any preferences you can just let her know. I really enjoyed reading club, art club and the stretching exercises we've implemented at the old people's home.

During the weekends you're free to do some travelling or activities. The staff of the hostel will give you the information you need and will help you by booking these activities as well. A visit to Victoria Falls is obviously a must do, and they arrange a free shutte every morning. The volunteering staff as well as the hostel staff are such lovely people and I'm so glad I got the chance to get in touch with them all. Same for the volunteers! Everyone comes with the same goal and mindset, so you will definitely make some friends from all around the world.

This is definitely a life-changing experience!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
There is a plausible chance that I will join the program in Livingstone again. If there is one thing I would change is that I would stay longer! Two weeks is a good time if it's your first time volunteering, because in this way you will get a tast of it. But at the same time it's also way too short!
Response from African Impact

Hey Sylke,

We're so happy to hear you've had such an unforgettable experience! Our staff on the ground strive to make each volunteer experience unique, and we're so glad that Annie, Chiza and Sjeel did that for you! We can't wait to have you back on project again in the future.

Welcome to the Alumni Squad!

The African Impact team