Volunteer Projects in Zambia with African Impact

Rich culture and adventure are abundant in this African nation, considered one of the safest countries in the world. Between exploring the world’s biggest waterfall, Victoria Falls, and enjoying the spectacular safaris on offer, you’ll love getting to know the people who call this paradise home.

Zambia is spoiled with ample sunshine and wandering predators. Get up-close and personal with chimpanzees and lions, or give something back to local communities in the form of sustainable buildings and classroom support.

African Impact's Top Volunteer Programs in Zambia

Megan

African impact Livingstone, Zambia

I loved this experience so much! Met some incredible people and wish I could do it all over again. Sander and everyone else who helped run the program were extremely welcoming and we couldn’t have asked for better co-ordinators. I’d recommend doing at least 2 weeks, which is what I did, however I wish I had gone for longer! Not only was the volunteering amazing, we were also exposed to the culture of a local village and the people there. There was also time to explore Livingstone on the weekends and even go to safari at Chobe which was just one of the amazing things we were able to do there. The accommodation was nice and clean, we had no issues with it, and it was also very sociable. This program has impacted my friends and I significantly, we share our experience in Africa with everyone we meet and all hope to return at some point in the future!

Response from African Impact

Hey Megan!

Thank you for this lovely review! We're so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and got to experience our rich African culture. We couldn't agree more - our Livingstone staff are phenomenal! We can't wait to have you back in the future. Welcome to our alumni squad :)

Emma

AIF Intern

My time in Zambia was amazing, I wish my time there didn't have to come to an end. I want to go back already! I think the price could be a bit cheaper since we are coming on our own will to volunteer and intern and out in a lot of work, but still that would not stop me from coming back. Excursions were pricey as well, but worth it!! All of the staff wanted you to succeed and were always open to helping you with anything needed. Livingstone Backpackers is an amazing place to stay as well.

Response from African Impact

Hey Emma,

Thank you for this review. We're so happy you enjoyed your experience. Welcome to the alumni squad!

Clive

4 weeks are not enough!

During the 4 weeks I've been in Livingstone, I encountered and lived many experiences. Had the opportunity to meet different cultures, meet new people and get to live in the same way they do. Humbling experience to say the least. A massive learning curve which ignites in you different moral values, which you will be grateful for during your entire life. Every human being should do such experience at least once in their lifetime.

Not really much can be said here. If I could change just one thing, it would be that the volunteer coordinators need more time devoted to induction and hand-over before setting off to the volunteer locations.
Response from African Impact

Hey Clive,

We're so happy to hear you enjoyed your experience! Thank you for your feedback and we'll be sure to look into it. Nevertheless, we are happy to hear you had a wonderful time in Zambia and we hope to see you again!

Kathy

Awesome experience!

My experience with AI exceeded all expectations. There were over 20 volunteers from different countries I got to share my time with in Livingstone and we all brought our own skill/knowledge. AI gave us flexibility in what projects we could do each day so although I signed up for the sports program, I spent time teaching maths and reading, going on medical and visiting the old peoples home because I asked to.
I went during school holidays so I loved being trusted with other volunteers to plan and run each lesson as we liked. The kids were fabulous and all so wonderfully cute. They were always ready for a game of soccer but were also quick learners when you tried something new.
Outside of projects we would chill out around the pool, have movie or trivia nights and go see the sunset. On the weekends most volunteers went out on a Friday night and got up the next day to see/do touristy activities (local markets, Victoria Falls, walking safaris, white water rafting etc). This was such a great project because of how organised and passionate the team of lead volunteers were. Would highly recommend!!!

Response from African Impact

Hey Kathy

We're so glad you got to experience all that Livingstone has to offer. It's a beautiful little town! Now you're officially apart of our Alumni Squad! Keep in touch.

Emily

Amazing place

The three weeks that I have spent in Livingstone have been some of the best of my life. It was a really incredible experience that I will never forget. Everyone at the project and all the people that I met in the community were so kind and welcoming, and I always felt supported and looked after. I really enjoyed the fact that the days were so full of activity and we had lots of opportunity to work closely with the local people. We had the choice to either try lots of different afternoon projects or to work on the same ones over the period of a few weeks, and I really felt like I was given the chance to get to know the students that I worked with and to try new things with them. I also really enjoyed events like the village tour, the cultural afternoon and the Walk to School fundraiser, which allowed us to see how the people we were working with live and to learn some of their customs. The atmosphere in the house was great and it was very easy to meet people and make friends. Livingstone is a very special place and the people there are very inspirational. Their positivity and openness is amazing and has stayed with me now that I’m back home. Can’t wait to go back!

More leaders on each project who are qualified in the specific area of the project, for example recruit qualified teachers who can lead and support others on the teaching project and help to plan appropriately, and similar for medical, building etc. There are some people doing this already but I think the impact of the project could be greatly increased and widened if there was more focus on this.
Response from African Impact

Hey Emily,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and will definitely look into it. Welcome to our alumni team (...and Ambassador program)! Keep in touch.

Kimberly

Mama Africa

Africa was amazing, and what more do you need to experience real Africa? Volunteering with african impact was the best desicion I have made in my life. Apart from immersing myself in a different culture and getting out of my comfort zone and speak publicly to 300 young adults,I have made great friends, both locals,volunteers and staff, which I will cherish in my heart wherever I will go. One nation, one people, one Zambia...all in my heart!

I think that speaking on the medical programme, there needs to be a qualified professional with an interest in tropical diseases who will oversee all medical volunteers so that there will be constant supervision on both the communities we vist and the volunteers whk come and go constantly. This is important for Livingstone as there is not a specific medical coordinator like sports or girl impact but a project manager who oversees the medical team as well which is so much work for one person.
Response from African Impact

Hey Kimberly,
We're so happy you enjoyed your time with us in Livingstone. As you know, medical resources (including staff) don't come around often to this area. This is why we love hosting medical volunteers, like you! We'll definitely keep your feedback in mind and hopefully we'll find this person. In the meantime, keep in touch and welcome to our Alumni squad!

Paul

A very special place

Voluntering in Livingstone is very special, beqeause there is big variety of projects. So the chance is big that you see a lot of scenery and meet a lot of people. I'm on the medical project every morning we sometimes assist in clinics but mostly homebasecare. Thats when we visit different community's with a local caregiver who brings us to the patients that needs medical help and advise. This gives us also the oppertunity to see the peoples way of life and see a lot of different community's . That's why i think the medical project is very special, that the volunteers come so close to the people, they even invite us in there house to visit.
I really enjoy the homebasecare everytime, its like a cultural tour everytime. The caregivers tells us about the people and the community's, answer our questions and even learns us the local language. We follow up the patients every week, so its good to monitor them and see if there is any progress. And when there is a good progress it gives faith and trust in the " Medical relationship" Some patients give us such a very positive feedback and really appriciate what we do on the medical project.So i think on the medical we give a little impact, with the wounddressing, the medical advise and tips how to stay healty etc.
This time i am a academy volunteer, i am preparing lesson plans for readingclub and healthclub. That gives me the oppurtinity to learn and gain more experience with teaching. On readingclub i am teaching the lower group that just started learning english. And on healthclub we do a lot of health promotions and try to make it interactive with the kids.
The people in Livingstone are very nice and super friendly, the food is good and i Always felt safe. And if you have a talent share it with the staff and maybe you can create youre own workshop/lessonplan. I for example was teaching the kids breakdance and hiphop dance.

Delphine

Lost my heart in Africa

Tears of happiness when I look back to my adventure in Livingstone, Zambia. I am so thankful for the experience I had the past months. I’ve been there twice: last year 1 month on the Sports project and this year almost 2 months on the Girl impact. Both of them, were totally worth it! I made friends all over the world, I’ve been living with lovely locals, I’ve been helping poor kids and their families, I’ve done such great activities, I’ve seen beautiful world wonders... And all of this together with African Impact. The staff is very friendly and always there to help you with anything. Not only when we were out of projects but also in the weekends. We got to know them and did activities together where we had lots of fun! It felt like a real family and we could share all the fun but also emotional and sad moments together. I liked all projects but especially the Girl Impact was my favorite. We have a girls club, boys club and a womens group. It’s always the same group we were teaching so you really got to know them and it’s nice to see them grow and become more open and comfortable with certain subjects. We taught them about diseases, pregnancy, health, feelings... These are all subjects they don’t really learn about in school and they can’t really talk about with their parents but it’s very important to teach them. For example: to avoid pregnancy. We were always well prepared together with our coordinators and we tried to make every lesson fun with some instructive games. In the end we did some tests and you could really see that they learned a lot. They knew a lot more then in the beginning of the lessons. In every project we did, you could feel the impact we made and we could see the kids being happy. I think that’s the most beautiful feedback you can get.
I can’t even describe how happy and grateful I am. It’s been so heartly overwhelming and I’ve opened my eyes. I learned what real life is and how to enjoy every single moment. I take this life lesson with me and hope to inspire other people. Stepping out of your comfortzone is good. You get to know yourself and you learn how to handle in certain situations. This was my first big trip abroad, but not my last! Livingstone will definitely see me again and I hope to discover more beautiful places. Thank you to everyone who made this trip so wonderful! And very much thanks to African Impact.
See you soon Africa, Zikomo❤️

Response from African Impact

Hi Delphine,

Thank you for these beautiful words. We'll make sure to keep your heart safe here in Africa until you return to us. Keep us updated with what you get up to next!

Flavio

A wonderful experience

The time spent in Livingstone (Zambia) with African Impact has been incredible.
I don't want to call it a once-in-a-lifetime experience because you can and, most probably, you will do it again during your life. After living an experience like this I can guarantee that the will to volunteer again will be so strong that the chances for you to do it again are really high.
And once you will see that even the little help you could give could mean really a lot for many people you will be even more motivated to get involved in this kind of wonderful experiences.

Sander

One of the best experiences in my life

I was a bit nervous when before I came, since I was traveling alone. But the moment I got picked up at the airport, it went away.
I'm so thankful of all the amazing people I got to meet, and all the kids I got to know.
Everybody there was great, the drivers, cooks, guards, cleaning ladies, everybody was so nice and genuine.
Being in a classroom and teaching the kids something new, or when they finally understand how to solve a math piece, I reaction and feelings is priceless!

Response from African Impact

Hey Sander,

Thank you for putting those fears aside and for joining us in Livingstone. You were an amazing team member! Keep in touch!

Kira

Zambia stole my heart

Going over to Zambia was my first trip to Africa, and I feel it embodies the spirit of the continent. From the joy that the people had, to the beautiful savannahs we walked through going from home to home on the medical team it was everything I could have dreamed of. The staff on the project were warm and welcoming, the community liaisons were helpful and willing to show us their lives outside of the volunteer house adding a rich context to the entire experience. The friendships I made in Livingstone will last a life time. The country of Zambia and its people stole my heart, and it is safe to say that I will be back again one day.

Response from African Impact

Hey, Kira

Your photos attached are beautiful! We're so happy to read this feedback and that you had a lovely time. Keep us in the loop, and we hope to see you in the near future.

inne

A lovely experience

The staff in Zambia are really amazing. As soon as you arrive they are there to help you. They make sure you are comfortable from day one. Every time I think back about my time in Zambia I get a smile on my face.
The connections you make with the locals and especially with the children you work with are so special and amazing. There different afternoon projects where you switch in, what is really nice. And the best part is that I you really like a afternoon project, you can ask to do it more often. I had that with the math club. I really love the math club

Response from African Impact

Hey Inne,

It's so lovely to hear this feedback. Thank you for joining us in Livingstone, and for putting so much effort into math club. Keep up to date with our achievements from math club on our website so you can see your impact.

Keep in touch.

Carolyn

Great experience

I adored my time in Zambia and would love to go back! It was a lovely experience and I learned so much. It is a little costly however, you do get a good experience so it’s worth saving up for. Lots of amazing activities to do in the local area and the staff are lovely. They do lots to support you and make sure you have a good time. The accommodation is basic but still good and I would definitely recommend.

Slightly lower cost.
Response from African Impact

Hey Carolyn,

Thank you so much for joining us in Livingstone! We do have a slightly higher cost than our competitors but we know that this is reflected in the quality of our projects and the experience provided to volunteers. We're really glad to hear you had a great experience and hope to see you again with us soon!

Ian

African Impact, Livingstone, Sports programme

Being on the sports programme run by African Impact in Livingstone has been a trully incredible experience, and I have loved every minute of it. It has been special because I have seen the children we have been teaching really improve in their sporting ability, whilst also seeing the attitude and enthusiasm of the children really develop. When I first arrived the PE programme we were teaching was being changed so that there was much more of a focus on skill improvement rather than just playing games. This was a bit challenging to start with as it was different to what the children were used to, but seeing where the kids are now and how keen they are to learn new sports has made it all worth while.
It has been great volunteering for African Impact because they really play to your strengths and put you on projects you want to be on and the ones where you can do the most to help. For example, rugby is my favourite sport so I was placed on the tag rugby sessions for the Grade 6 girls from Linda. I loved this project as it was great fun every week and I saw an incredible improvement in the girls rugby over my 3 months there. What also made this project my favourite was the enthusiasm from the girls, every session would be at least 2 hours long, yet they would always want to carry on and do more. From a personal standpoint this really motivated me to make the sessions as good as possible.
Whilst the sports projects were my favourite, I still loved the many other projects available at Livingstone. On days when I did not have any sport on I was able to help out on building projects where we were building a wall at the school made out of eco-bricks. This was really nice to do because you could see the benefit of the hard work being done. There was also educational projects such as reading club, which was great fun and very rewarding. On reading club we would assist a small section of certain classes whose English skills were behind their classmates. This was a great project as the kids were so enthusaistic and it was awesome to see their English skills improve so much.
The accomodation with African Impact was fantastic, the backpackers we were based at had everything you could want. There was a bar, which was great for socializing with the other volunteers, a pool, and very good rooms. We were also located in Livingstone, so we were only 10 miniutes away from Victoria Falls and unbelivable weekend activities such as white water rafting, safaris and going to Devil's pool.
I cannot reccomend African Impacts Livingstone project highly enough as it was 3 of the best months of my life.

Response from African Impact

Hey Ian,

We're so glad to hear you had a wonderful time and that you could share your love for rugby. Please keep in touch and we hope to see you soon!

Lizzie

One of the best months ever

I went to Livingstone in July 2017 for 4 weeks to volunteer on the Medical programme. I'm currently studying Medicine in the UK so I was looking for somewhere to go to experience healthcare in a completely different way. I absolutely loved my experience - doing home-based care most mornings was an amazing way of meeting locals, experiencing their homes and lives and delivering medical advice, basic medicines and referrals to the local clinics. I would love to go back again in the future, particularly once I'm a qualified doctor so I could do more and would have a greater experience base to draw on. All the African Impact and Happy Africa staff are lovely, and very organised. Everything ran smoothly and all the volunteers got on so well. Livingstone is an amazing place to be staying as there is so much to see and do, and the local people are so welcoming and kind. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone - my only regret is that I couldn't stay longer!

About African Impact

African Impact pioneered responsible volunteer travel in Africa back in 2004 and have since grown into the largest provider of volunteer projects on the continent. Proudly African, they work hand-in-hand with local communities to establish, develop...