• Zambia
1 week

Program Details

Short Term Spring Break Summer Winter Year Round
Groups
Small Group (1-15) Medium Group (16-30) Large Group (31+)
Travel Type
Budget Family Older Travelers Solo Women

Pricing

The price reflects a 10-day placement inclusive of accommodation, meals, mentorship and training, support, and transfers. For a full list, chat to us!
What's Included
Accommodation Airport Transfers Equipment Meals Transportation Wifi
What's Not Included
Activities Airfare Domestic Airfare SIM cards Travel Insurance Visa
Oct 05, 2022
Dec 09, 2022
36 travelers are looking at this program

Livingstone, Zambia is a beautiful, rural town that many call “the real Africa.” Just a stone’s throw away from one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World – Victoria Falls – Livingstone is the ultimate playground for those who love adventure sports, wildlife, and the great outdoors.

There are many national parks where you can observe lions, rhinos, hippos, crocodiles, elephants, and giraffes, and often, we spot some of these animals along the road on our way to project!

Working closely with the African Impact Foundation, our Zambia volunteer programs focus on empowering, educating, and enriching Zambian citizens. As a Zambia volunteer, your work will be integral to uplifting locals in sustainable and measurable ways. We currently offer volunteer programs in Zambia in the following areas: Medical Volunteering, Teaching, Environmental Sustainability, Sports Coaching, and Female Empowerment.

Program Highlights

• Bring a fun, creative, and dynamic approach to delivering sport lessons to children of primary school age
  • Be immersed into the community and help to empower and influence all ages with a sense of self-worth
  • Observe progression, improved skills, and confidence amongst the local children first hand
  • Teach lessons on physical health and general life skills at schools, focusing on issues like hygiene, nutrition, communication, and teamwork
  • Visit the majestic Victoria Falls, also known as “The Smoke that Thunders” and enjoy some of the amazing tourist activities that Livingstone has to offer

Program Impact

Our programs in Zambia offer volunteers various opportunities to get involved in community projects, from supporting gender equality initiatives to promoting environmental sustainability. Working closely with local community members, African Impact staff, and fellow volunteers, you’ll make a difference in tackling the intense developmental issues Zambians face each day.

• 5 rating 96.55%
  • 4 rating 1.72%
  • 3 rating 1.72%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Ben

Eco bricking

The experience was life changing, the people made the trip special, and the location is breathtaking. The trip as a whole was amazing but I felt that at times my specific project failed to reach its potential. It felt lacking at times due to the limitations we were dealing with. These limitations included time we spent actually building, the tools we had available to us while building, and the building methods that we were using. I understand that improvements cost money and effort, but I feel that with a small amount of change a large impact could be created.

Pros
  • Really wonderful people
  • Great scenery
  • Contributes to personal growth
Cons
  • Expensive for students
Response from African Impact

Thank you very much for your feedback Ben, it is great to hear you would recommend the experience for others and that you experienced personal growth. Our meeting with you in Zambia was also very useful and as discussed, we are taking your suggestions onboard as to what changes can be implemented. Thanks for your contribution and helping us to improve the project for future volunteers and therefore increase the impact we make every day.

Janne

Medical volunteering

I had the best time during my two week volunteering in Zambia. First of all the backpackers hostel felt like coming home after going on project. There’s enough space to chill with the other volunteers and to unwind. The staff is extremly welcoming and kind, they make you feel comfortable. There’s an atmosphere of positivity only. Going on project is a plaisure. I felt safe every moment. You are encouraged but not forced to do things out of your comfort zone. Everyone you help is grateful and you get a lot of satisfaction from even the smallest things you do. This was an amazing experience that has encouraged me to go further with this.

Pros
  • Getting to know lots of new people
  • Close contact with the local population
  • Time to discover the beauty of the country
Cons
  • Expensive
  • Little local food at the hostel
Chloe

NGO Internship

I spent four weeks in Zambia with African Impact and I loved every second of it. I made friends from all over the world and experienced the incredible Zambian culture. I did the NGO Internship where I saw to completing the weekly reports, data collection, lesson planning and teaching/presenting. It has really given me an insight into the behind-the-scenes work done at a non-profit organisation. On the weekends, we had free time and I did filled it with activities such as: a night trip in Chobe National Safari Park in Botsawana, bungee jumping in Victoria Falls, white water rafting and seeing the lunar rainbow at the Falls. I would highly recommend African Impact to everyone!!

Pros
  • The work is rewarding
  • Friendships
  • Staff are lovely
Sarah

Medical project African Impact, Livingstone

My overall experience with African Impact is very good. From the beginning on, communication has been really easy. All the questions I had were answered within one working day. When arriving at the airport and at backpackers, everyone (the crew and volunteers) made me feel so welcome! I loved that! I had a great time living with so many people under one roof and enjoyed having diner together and spending our free time together. About diner: I loved most of the dishes the ladies made for us, but I expected more local food (like multiple times a week shima but then maybe with different vegetables/meat).
The weekend activities were amazing! I loved Chobe safari and the rhino walk.
The medical project had its pros and cons. Pro: I got to meet so many local people, take care of their wounds, help them with the limited materials we had, …
Con: you’re only on medical project for +/- 2 hours a day, which I think is too little.

Katie

Medical volunteer

I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Livingstone, Zambia. From projects to evening activities and weekend activities everything was organised so efficiently. I feel I had the opportunity to use my skills and build new ones. I met people from all over the world and have made friendships for life. We were so warmly welcomed into communities with locals being so kind and greatful. The staff were always there for us offering great support. We stayed at the backpackers which provided a comfortable and safe place to relax. The food was always tasty and reliable.
I'm very greatful for this opportunity and all the wonderful people I met.

Pros
  • New friendships
  • New perspectives
  • Got to explore Zambia
Cons
  • My three weeks went so quickly!
Kaylee

Amazing opportunity

The staff was so welcoming and very energetic! This place lets you be yourself from the moment you walk in. The food is amazing and the cooks are so caring. I never thought I would get an experience like this, but now I never want to leave. The friendships I have made here will last forever. Although the days were long, you were always having fun and having new experiences. There was still enough time to do other experiences outside of the projects but gave you friends to have those experiences with.

Pros
  • Making an impact
  • Learning about other culture
  • New friends from all over the world
Cons
  • People come and go
Catherine

Amazing experience

We had the most amazing experience at African Impact! Not only did I actually feel the impact the medical project that I was part of had in the communities but I made the most amazing memories! It also truly helped me realize what I want to do with my future. If I could go back today I would without any doubts! What made this experience so incredible was truly the people I had the opportunity to meet, especially the fellow volunteers and interns. I would absolutely recommend this program to anyone who would like to volunteer/intern in Zambia.

Pros
  • The staff and the fellow travellers
  • Endless opportunities
  • Organization and structure
Anna

Zambia Medical Program

I really enjoyed my time with Africa Impact in Zambia. It was great to experience the culture and the team in African impact really helped with this from hosting cultural dinner, to cultural talks and hosting a mock Zambian wedding. I really enjoyed helping on in the community and feeling like I made a difference even if it was small. As well as learning and getting involved in the Zambian culture it was a great experience to meet volunteers from around the world and learn about their cultures and traditions also.

Pros
  • Experiencing the Culture
  • Meeting people from around the world
  • Helping others