InterExchange Work & Travel Canada

InterExchange Work & Travel Canada

The InterExchange Work & Travel Canada program gives U.S. citizens between the ages of 18 and 35 a chance to experience a beautiful country while earning money throughout the year. Start with an arrival orientation in Vancouver or Toronto (or arrival independently to the city of your choice) and continue with job support throughout your program. If you already have a job in mind that's no problem! We can still provide logistical support.

**Program fee is only $395**

Sleeper Train
Tent
Primary Language
Age Max
Program fees cover the inclusions listed below (and more) as well as administration in the U.S. and Australia. They also help fund the grants awarded by our Foundation each year.

*Assistance obtaining your working holiday visa, which will allow you to work and travel for up to one year
*Flexible choice of arrival dates
*Pre-departure support, including a pre-departure guide to the program
*Arrival orientation in Vancouver or Toronto (phone orientation available from other locations)
*Job support throughout the country by phone/email (or in person in Vancouver or Toronto) for the duration of your stay

Alexis
Toronto
University of Puget Sound

Great Experience

I have done the Work and Travel in Canada program twice and have totally loved it. While traveling throughout Canada, I was able to be completely independent, however, I always knew I had a network of resources whenever I had questions that I could rely on. The Toronto office SWAP staff were incredibly welcoming and were very helpful when I needed assistance finding housing downtown. I am really happy I discovered this program and was able to experience all that Canada has to offer! :)

Amber
Columbus, Ohio

I love Work and Travel Canada!

I moved to Toronto in May 2016 two days after completing my undergraduate degree.

My first job was being boat deckhand on Lake Ontario, where I got to see the Toronto skyline from the water nearly every day. Through this job I met people from all over the world, as many of my coworkers were also on working holiday visas. In early fall I spent my days outdoors taking in the fresh air while providing maintenance to a golf course. During the holiday season I worked in sales at Lush Cosmetics with a lot of really cool people. Right now I am employed as an ice skating instructor at an outdoor rink at the Toronto Harbourfront - I get to watch the planes fly into the islands while taking in the beautiful skyline. :)

InterExchange is amazing and there to assist every step of the way during the application process and after. I seriously can't say enough good things about them! The hosting center here (SWAP) is equally as awesome. They will help you find housing, a job, and have regular social events for you to meet and hang out with other swappers. Additionally, the staff is incredibly friendly and really make you feel like you have a home away from home.

I've enjoyed Canada so much that I am currently in the process of applying for a second visa! My highlights here have included (but are definitely not limited to) being feet away from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau at Pride, exploring Nuit Blanche (an overnight event where the city is transformed into an artistic playground), and a whirlwind trip to Montreal where I hiked up Mount Royal. I'm planning on spending another summer in Toronto (because summer in this city is AMAZING) and then hoping to work on somewhere up north in the winter so I can see the northern lights. Or I might apply to work at a ski resort out west. There are so many options!

I would recommend this program to anyone, but especially to someone who wants to travel and explore but is nervous about being far from home. I feel comforted knowing that in an emergency I can take a bus to my family for less than $100.

Work and Travel Canada has changed my life. I've learned that you don't have to go far to live with a travel mindset - it's all about getting out of your comfort zone and taking chances. I've loved exploring Toronto (it's such an interesting and multicultural city) and I've made friends from all over the world. I can't wait to see what more adventures are in store. I'm so thankful for this program!

Abby
Houston, Texas

Appreciative Camp Counsellor!

I applied with Interexchange to get a visa work at an arts camp I had gone to as a camper. It's so expensive and confusing to go through traditional routes for my employer and me. This program made it so simple! The staff were quick to respond and willing to answer all my questions. Thanks to them, I was able to get my visa in practically no time. I'll be applying again with them for next summer.

Matt
Boulder, Colorado
University of Colorado- Boulder

Thinking Bigger

I arrived in Toronto, Ontario, in May 2016, two days after graduating from the University of Colorado at Boulder with a degree in integrative physiology. Upon my arrival, I was given my open work permit that I had acquired through the program. My initial plan was to spend time in the Muskoka area at my friend's cottage on Lake Muskoka, where I expected to work a seasonal job at a golf course as a chef. Although the opportunity existed, I was not entirely attached to the job- I was thinking bigger.

Canada's healthcare system is one that intrigues me. Two things struck me negatively: Wait times to see physicians and specialists was much too long, sometimes scheduling months out; Patients of rural areas in Ontario had limited access, or no access to healthcare. With this in mind, I was curious to know if I could impact patient's and healthcare professional's outcome in the Canadian healthcare system.

Within one month of my arrival, I was hired on a one year contract by Ontario Telemedicine Network, where I have taken on the role of implementing Telemedicine into physician's and specialist's practice, as well as developing effective Telemedicine programs to enable physicians and specialists to provide healthcare to rural patients in Ontario. I have developed cardiology, dermatology, mental health, and wound care programs that have provided patients with healthcare in days, not months.

As I near the end of my contract at Ontario Telemedicine Network, and plan to apply for another open work permit through this program, I recognize that I have gained valuable experience and have made a lasting impact in Ontario's healthcare system. My next big idea as I experience Canada- medical device and emergency education sales, to impact the way ordinary people can save lives.

Oh yeah, and I got a puppy...

So, think... How might you want to experience Canada? ... and think big. Everyone is capable.

The program has done a great job. No recommendations, only compliments.

Response from InterExchange

Hi Matt, So glad to see how much insight this experience has provided. Congrats on landing a great job. Also, love the puppy photo! We appreciate the review. -James at InterExchange

InterExchange is a nonprofit organization devoted to promoting cross-cultural awareness through international work and volunteer exchange programs. For 40+ years, InterExchange has connected young adults from all over the world with life-changing international cultural exchange opportunities.

We help young adults find opportunities including paid and