InterExchange Work & Travel Australia

InterExchange Work & Travel Australia

This program is about FUN, independence, friendships ...and yes: working to help fund your travels.

Start with three or seven nights at one of the hippest Sydney hostels where you'll meet some great people, recover from jetlag and get your first impressions of the country. You will attend an induction meeting to learn about the support provided for the full length of your time in Australia (up to one year). Support staff are available to help connect you with jobs and provide guidance on the logistics of living, working and traveling.

Expect to find short-term jobs (e.g. warehouse work, fruit-picking, resort work, hospitality jobs), which you can string together to help fund your adventures. Our partner has exclusive access to lots of short-term positions in the Sydney area, and a helpful database of work opportunities throughout the country!

Oceania » Australia » Wollongong
Some Activities
Some Meals
Primary Language
Age Max
Program fees cover the inclusions listed below (and more) as well as administration in the U.S. and Australia. They also help fund the grants awarded by our Foundation each year.

*Airport pickup and transfer to accommodation
*Three nights of accommodation to help you recover from the long flight and experience beautiful Sydney!
*Job search guidance throughout your program
*An Australian phone number and SIM card with credit to get you started
*A bank account set up for you in advance
*An orientation program in Sydney covering your job search, traveling, tax information and more

Joe
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Bloomsburg University

Amazing

Working through interexchange opened up so many opportunities that I would not have had if I never decided to go to Australia. One of my most memeorable moments was getting to set up the Lord Mayor's New Years Eve party. After setting up the party I was allowed to attends the party free of cost and got the meet the Lord Mayor before the party.

Jason
New Jersey
Rutgers University

'Stralia Mate!

I lived in Australia for the better part of a year. I have so many stories to share but this one always makes me smile. Back in October I had gone SCUBA diving at the Great Barrier Reef. It was on a live-aboard vessel with 25 other divers. This one night was the first time a bunch of us were going on a night dive. As we were on the deck, prepping the tanks and putting on our equipment, all of the newbies were chatting to each other. "Are you nervous?" "Yeah mate I'm terrified! Are you?" "I'm pretty scared." So on and so on. My lead instructor, who was a bit of a prankster, had heard all of us chatting about how scared we were. He walked smoothly passed us, grabbed a diving fin, and stood right on the edge of the boat where the lone searchlight was shining. He then proceeded to smack the water with the fin a couple of times. Immediately just then, 30 white tip reef sharks swam in frenzied circles, searching for whatever created the racket. All of us divers stared at the water in shock, and all my instructor quipped was, "Who's first?" *Grin*

I have one complaint, and one improvement to suggest. First the complaint. The work desk at Work and Travel Company was very friendly, and helped me sort out all my working documents. But they did not help me find adequate work. The jobs they'd give me were very on and off. If I needed consistent work, then it was on me to find it. That was a bit frustrating.

The suggestion I have is to allow a 6 month, or better yet 3 month option for purchase. Having Interexchange and WTC with me upon arriving in Australia was wonderful. It really eased my transition so well. And they provided a nice hub for me to visit when I needed help or to do research. But after spending a few months abroad, getting into working and traveling, and speaking with the locals, I found that I no longer needed the help of Work and Travel. I had become independent. Additionally, once I left the Sydney region the work department was of little help to me. So that is why I suggest a 3 month option. Looking back and knowing what I know now, that is what I would purchase for myself. I will recommend this service to other people, but I'll be honest and tell them that they probably won't need it for the full year. Thank you for the opportunity regardless!

InterExchange is a nonprofit organization devoted to promoting cross-cultural awareness through international work and volunteer exchange programs. For 40+ years, InterExchange has connected young adults from all over the world with life-changing international cultural exchange opportunities.

We help young adults find opportunities including paid and